News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

I think someone may have had some trouble sleeping...
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:38:37 AM »
I really, truely feel bad for this guy.

Check out the link.

After his four rounds, trying to get into a Tour event, he was +145.
 :o

http://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq6/event/pgatq66/contest/1/contestant/1123/scorecard.htm
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:50:01 AM by Jordan Wall »

JESII

Re:Oh God...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:42:56 AM »
How do you feel for Jerry Chen? He was paired with this guy for the first two rounds.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:47:23 AM »
If this is for real and not a hoax, then how was this guy allowed to continute playing after his first round?  Or even after his second round? The USGA would have pulled him off of the course, why didn't the PGA?

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 10:51:49 AM »
Golf can be very humbling. I am confident this man must have some golfing skill or he would  have never attempted this. I'm sure he must regularly break par if he thinks he can give playing golf for a living a shot.

The big question is why he didn't withdraw after the first round. And why he wasn't convinced to withdraw by the tournament administrators.

I believe the administration has the authority to pull a player from the field and give him his money back. They should have.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

JESII

Re:I think someone may have had some trouble sleeping...
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 10:56:19 AM »
Jordan,

I slept great.

Jerry Chen wrote the PGA a very large check to attempt to gain membership to the PGA Tour. By random draw he gets paired for the first two rounds of that qualifying tournament with a player incapable of breaking 100. Do you think what Mark Bove did was honorable? I cannot see it as anything short of ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:56:33 AM by JES II »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »
I think I may know whats going on here.  I remember an article a few months ago about a guy who quit his job for a year to try and make the PGA tour.  He was also writing a book about it as well.  The guy was from Philadelphia, like this guy was.   Would make sense that this is more for a book than it is for reality.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 11:00:05 AM »
Maurice Flitcroft lives again ;D

explanation here
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:04:34 AM by Andrew Mitchell »
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 11:04:46 AM »
 Jason,

You are referring to Tom Coyne, who also authored "A Gentleman's Game". Tom's book is called "Paper Tiger".

He was not allowed to play at any level of qualifying as far as I know. They required him to show some success in pro events.
AKA Mayday

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 11:35:32 AM »
From John Cullum
Golf can be very humbling. I am confident this man must have some golfing skill or he would  have never attempted this. I'm sure he must regularly break par if he thinks he can give playing golf for a living a shot.
The big question is why he didn't withdraw after the first round. And why he wasn't convinced to withdraw by the tournament administrators.
I believe the administration has the authority to pull a player from the field and give him his money back. They should have.

They should have NOT give him his money back...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 11:48:58 AM »
The guy started the first few holes like he could play and then looks to me to have had a mental breakdown.  There is a chance that once he was out of it he knew it was back to the family business and thought if the ball never found the hole reality would not set in..

Scott Szabo

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 12:02:20 PM »
I do see one birdie in the mix of eights, nines and tens!!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 12:31:55 PM »
Not to pile on, but how easy must the fourth hole have been playing?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 12:35:44 PM »
Clearly the man didn't know his limitations. Playing the wrong set of tees will only lead to blaming the architect. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 12:38:41 PM »

I'm guessing it was an island type green and the guy didn't want to lose balls during this farce.  I personally think he has some type of elite game and outside forces were at play.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »

I'm guessing it was an island type green and the guy didn't want to lose balls during this farce.  I personally think he has some type of elite game and outside forces were at play.

Outside forces?

Perhaps they were playing PD, John
 ???

Philippe Binette

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 02:38:40 PM »
no matter what mental breakdown somebody could have...

if you have played around par quite a few times in your life (even on an easy course), a 5-handicap won't shoot score in the 100's, forget it....

He could play 92, 90, 84, 88, that's about the worst that could happen.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 03:23:01 PM »
Would he have been paired with the same competitors throughout?

I am surprised that someone on the PGA staff was not aware that this was a publicity stunt. If they did know and allowed it to continue to the detriment of the play of other players, then shame on them.

bob

JESII

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »
same group the first two days Bob, then reshuffle by score each of the third and fourth.

Somehow he ended up in a twosome (most every group is a three), so fortunately only one player had suffer on days 1 and 2.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »
Deplorable!!!! One of the many reasons that I feel it is just fine to slam the trunk at a qualifier if you are not playing well. This guy should have got the hell out of Jerry's way after 18, if not 9, if not 5 holes.

Darren,

Great catch on #4!!! Must be the easiest hole in the world. Tee off from beach, hit water and add two strokes to your score or something. I really find it downright hard to believe that this guy could par anything 4 days in a row, based on those scorecards.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 03:41:28 PM »
I was always taught to never quit or WD.  When is the point that a guy should be taken off the course.  Recently at the Senior Am I believe a guy shot +45 in two day medal qualifying.  No way can you make him quit since he made it there through a qualifier...no way do you expect him to quit because he is having a bad day or two.

Q school is the worst pressure cooker in golf and I think this guy just cracked.  I don't believe this guy could have played the first 5 holes as well as he did if he was not a good golfer at the core...I'm not sure he even could have played the first two at one over just out of luck.

Show me in the rule book where it says officials can remove a player for lack of skill..as I was once removed during an urban bicycle criterium for the saftey of the other participants...It was in the rules and I was choking miserably under the pressure.

JESII

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 03:58:23 PM »
It will say it in certain tournament specific rules sheets. Not sure about this specific tournament though.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »
Here is the scorecard from a man who qualified for the Senior Am and had a bad time of it once at the tournament.  I think he deserved and earned the right to finish and post a score...Tell me when you think he should have been yanked off of the course.  He fits my definition of an elite golfer by qualifying for a national USGA event...You can not dispute that fact.

http://www.senioram.org/2006/scoring/xml/card/card148.html

JESII

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 04:12:32 PM »
What did the guy that is the topic of this thread do to deserve the right to be there? Write a check?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 04:17:23 PM »
What did the guy that is the topic of this thread do to deserve the right to be there? Write a check?

I don't know..but you know me guy, I like to give a guy the benefit of the doubt.  I do know that there was a post above saying it was impossible for an elite player to play that bad...I say it is not.

I still think he was playing under some form of duress after his poor start.  It is not the individuals fault, it is the organizations.

JESII

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 04:20:16 PM »
It is not the individuals fault, it is the organizations.

A quote that should be enshrined for all eternity....in certain circles.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back