News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Best season for golf?
« on: October 11, 2006, 11:58:14 PM »
I am beginning to think I like fall the best

All the trees and foliage is beautiful and really looks cool.

From the pictures of Wilderness at Fortune Bay and the Quarry at Giants Ridge it makes me wonder if fall is indeed the best season for golf.

What are peoples favorite seasons for golf, and why?

Brad Swanson

Re:Best season for golf?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:15:01 AM »
"I used to play golf. But I'll tell you something: I would only play it in the late summer. Oh, occasionally the early summer, but usually the late summer - or the mid-summer. Just the early summer, midsummer and late summer. Occasionally, early spring, early mid-spring, or perhaps the late-midspring. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early fall. . . But never in the winter. Never in the winter."

Couldn't resist, and Jordan, this is a spoof of a famous comedian's act that is lightyears before your time.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:15:17 AM by Brad Swanson »

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 02:30:02 AM »
Jordan

It all depends on where you are, my friend...

For example:
The Northeast is great in Spring and Fall - a steambath in summer and tundra in the winter.

January is no golf in the Rockies or Sierras. July is perfect.

January is great in the Desert. July is horrible.

Hawaii is always great  ;D

Seattle is always RAIN  ;) ;) ;)

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:14:30 AM »
if there's no snow on the ground and the termperature is about 30 degrees or higher, that's great golf season for me!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 07:38:04 AM »
any day on the links when the temperature is about 22, there are high clouds dotted in the sky and there's a light sea breeze....

in scotland or ireland, we don't have many of these days to choose from and they could fall at any time of the year from march to october

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:24:45 AM »
As a southern hemisphere boy now living in a place with an inhospitable and golf unfriendly winter (Beijing) I have to vote for mid spring -- the rust has come off, and the promise of 8 months golf lies before you. I think that autumn golf is nicer, weather-wise, but it is tinged with, well, melancholy -- the golf season coming to an end

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 08:27:15 AM »
Fall is usually my favorite too.  Generally, the courses are in the best shape, the fall colors can make the surroundings even more beautiful, and it's also the time of year when I can finally get out and play a bit more.

Though sometime between scraping my car off this morning and skidding on the ice as I turned into the driveway of our white golf course, I was reminded that my favorite season can sometimes end too soon (though hopefully this will all melt and give us some playable days yet later this month).

Paul Payne

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 08:29:52 AM »
any time there is no snow.

Fall is best for fast and firm.

Hey Brian, my Dad says there is a bit of snow this morning! Sounds like about 6 inches where he is. Hope your CD collection is primed and ready to go, looks like music season is upon you in the yoop.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 08:51:50 AM »
365 days a year, 366 on leap year ;D

65 to 85 degrees is best...and I hate the rain

Ocean, Forest, Mountains  :)

Nice breezes :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 08:54:01 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 09:20:26 AM »
Hey Brian, my Dad says there is a bit of snow this morning! Sounds like about 6 inches where he is. Hope your CD collection is primed and ready to go, looks like music season is upon you in the yoop.

Indeed.  In town here there isn't too much, but an inch or two everywhere has covered the golf course for the next day or two.  I heard that in the higher terrain a little further inland they have a few more inches, and they're calling for 6-12 in the Keweenaw Peninsula today.

We'll have some more good days ahead, but the CDs and DVDs are indeed waiting...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 09:35:53 AM »
any day on the links when the temperature is about 22, there are high clouds dotted in the sky and there's a light sea breeze....

in scotland or ireland, we don't have many of these days to choose from and they could fall at any time of the year from march to october

Ally,

Is that  22* celcius?
If so, what is that in Farenheit, maybe 70*?

Hopefully I can get some pictures of my little course tonight, as it really looks cool right now.
With all the tall trees, and the trees with leaves in bloom, it is really cool looking.

Oh, and I might as well say, earlier this year, I played golf in the snow.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »
I have to say the fall here in New England.  Mild temps, courses that aren't crowded like the summer...often lower greens fees...and you have had all summer to play your best at the end!!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back