News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

Re:Have we overlooked this course?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 07:56:05 PM »
I'm going to send one over the bow and ask why there are containment mounds as seen in the second photo posted by Anthony Butler?  :P Could it be because of environmental restrictions to collect drainage water first?  Maybe they should 'CUT' them down ;)

That's an interesting question... I know the annual rainfall in this area of WA is quite low. The situation with many golf courses in Australia is that they are responsible for generating their own water supply... it certainly is that way at NSWGC and a bunch of other notable clubs.

Based on the history of this spot, I am going to hazard a guess that most of the stuff dredged out of the sea access canal in the picture below, if it was usable, ended up on the golf course which seems slightly built up from it's sea level surrounds... Therefore immediately grassing most of it with a golf course was probably a sound environmental idea, as the winds would take about 2 inches off each year...  

Anthony,

Where did you get that "2 inch" figure? Also, there looks to be vegetation on the areas that are not golf course. Do you see that vegetation as insufficient to prevent substantial wind erosion? If so, is that opinion based on surrounding dunes areas that have a different type or level of vegetation than that seen in these pictures?

Thanks,

Joe

Obviously most of the dunes scrub you can see on the course was there for more than five years... usually when you dredge that much stuff out of a river, you try to use the material in the surrounding areas... you'd want to grass it over soon otherwise the wind will take it away... to give you an idea of how windy it is in coastal Australia, the second time they attempted to grass NSW in the late 20s, they had to cover the entire course with waste water and renderings from a tannery factory just so the seeds wouldn't blow away again... therefore a couple of inches of wind erosion per year doesn't seem excessive.
Next!

tonyt

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 08:31:01 PM »
That whole area south of Perth has been one of incredible BOOM development over the past twenty years and for a few more yet. Very ritzy too in some spots unfortunately, but tastefully done in others.

Coastline that doesn't become golf is either going to be housing, high rise or a fake marina or channel job anyway. So bring on the golf courses instead!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 09:07:09 PM »
The Cut is an interesting course and I feel it is somewhat of a cross between National (Old) and for mine, some aspects of NSW. But it's not in their class - especially holes 5 through 9 (ie: thoise that interwind themselves through the housing estate) which to be honest certainly detract from my overall impression of the course.

It's certainly a Top50 Australia course certainly pushing Joondalup and certainly Karrinyup as a Top3 WA but it's not in the class of Kennedy Bay. It's a very difficult course to walk with some large changes in topography and the strong winds in the region make it a stern test of golf.

It has some very good short/medium P4's especially those to begin with and some good long P4's and 5's but the P3's were a tad dissappointing with probably the downhill 16th the standout.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back