News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Lake Chabot's Demise?
« on: October 10, 2006, 01:40:07 AM »

Recently it has been brought to my attention that the Lake Chabot (a 27-hole, municipal facility in the hills of Oakland, Ca) will be closing indefinitely at the end of October until the city finds a new manager for the course. Does anyone have any inside information about this “transition?” How bad is the prognosis?

It would be a pity to lose the only par 6 closing hole in the San Francisco Bay Area.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John_Conley

Re:Lake Chabot's Demise?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:45:29 AM »
Kyle, I know of two par 6s.  One at Madden's on their older course and one in Vero Beach at a course called Dodger Pines or something.  I think the latter is NLE.  Is this course decent?  Those are horrible.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:24:54 AM »
Lake Chabot is quirky, heavily undulating, pure fun.

For a norcal course the feeling is atypical.

A hidden gem, if ever there was one.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:18:42 AM »
Here's an article:

http://tinyurl.com/qdr6n
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:51:04 AM »
More sadness in the world of golf.

Lake Chabot puts the H and G in hidden gem - just like Adam says.  And hell yes it is/was pure fun.  I will miss it... even if it does come back, it surely won't be the same.  First Bayonet, now this... another fun affordable golf course bites the dust.

:'( :'(

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »
Kyle, I know of two par 6s.  One at Madden's on their older course and one in Vero Beach at a course called Dodger Pines or something.  I think the latter is NLE.  Is this course decent?  Those are horrible.

Lake Chabot has dreadful drainage during the winter, some blind shots, and a generally quirky layout (you're not likely to hit many shots off of a level lie) that would certainly turn off some golfers, but on a clear summer day it has spectacular views, an abudance of wildlife, and a bounty of unique holes that make it well worth $25-35, even if you're dodging stray balls from errant hackers during a 5 1/2-hour Saturday round. With a little love and care, it could be turned into a first rate municipal facility. It just exudes character. I'll have to take a crack at posting some pics of the place.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 08:01:12 PM »
I chatted with the pro shop attendent this morning before my round and he claims that the course will indeed reopen around April following fairway reseeding, cart path repaving, ect. The old, adobe fairways certainly baked out over the summer. They were in decent shape when I visited in May, but no longer. However, the greens were surprisingly true and quick today(easily stimping at 9+).

Hopefully the "renovations" will help to ensure the future of Oakland's "Hacker Haven in the Hills."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back