News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Buda Cup/Hoylake pictures
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:20:25 AM »
Ran is going to do a grown-up assessment of the golf course with pictures. The pictures that follow are just a light-hearted reminder of the epic Gawith/Cole vs Goodale/Morrissett tussle on the Monday afternoon, with some nice course pictures interspersed.

We were blessed with some good weather and the good guys only succumbed on the last hole following an outrageous shot from Mr Goodale, which traversed about 100 yards of out of bounds - mostly on the ground - before popping through "Goodale's gap" to land in position A.

Even then, it only took a cruel misread from Lloyd's otherwise estimable caddy to prevent his five-footer for the half dropping into the centre of the cup to give us the well-deserved half.

Not that we are sore losers of course - just thought the rest of the tree-house deserved to know the truth. ;)

Ran and Cheshire and England's finest golf observer, Mark Rowlinson, contemplating the action

The punchbowl 11th green

The 12th

Lloyd on the 12th with stormy skies behind

Tee shot on the Alps hole, the short 13th

The Alps again..

Lloyd en route to gritty half on the Alps, with the Dee estuary in the background

Skipper Goodale watches in horror as Ran misses on the Alps (he did the same!)

The Alps green

A view of the 14th from outside right of the elbow - the best hole in many people's view, but only two shots for Tiger!

Looking back down the 14th

The 14th green from 15th tee

Rich tees off on 16 - four birdies in his round!

Ran follows suit...

And here goes Lloyd....

Ran and Rich on the 16th green

Looking back at the 18th...

The clubhouse...

A happy band of brothers...

The combatants from the first afternoon fourballs. Clockwise, starting left front:
David Mcbride
Andew Mitchell
Ward Peyronnin
Ted Sturges
Nick Leefe (Alwoodley/Hoylake)
Ran M
Bill Mcbride
Jim Goby (Littlestone)
Tony Muldoon
Rich Goodale (obscured)
Craig Disher
Lloyd Cole (obscured)
Philip Gawith
Ian Dickson (Lundin Links)
Michael Whittaker
Peter Mallalieu (Littlestone)

ForkaB

Re:Buda Cup/Hoylake pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 12:13:12 PM »
Great pictures, Philip.  There was no need, however, to "photoshop" our 4-ball portrait to make it look like I was standing in an NLE bunker............. :)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
You were the winner on the scorecard Rich! ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 03:23:11 PM »
Philip -

Fine pictures, as per usual. It really is remarkable how the course "greened up" post the Open.

One question - has the course gone back to its regular routing since the Open or is the club thinking about retaining the Open routing and finishing on old #16?

One comment - while I am most reluctant to comment on anyone's golf swing, you might want to advise Lloyd Cole that his "reverse C" finish went out in the 1970's, along with Johnny Miller and polyester, double-knit pants!   ;)  To avoid lower back problems in the coming years, he should strive to emulate R. Goodale's textbook follow-thru, which moves his weight to his left leg at the finish of his swing.

DT

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:52:58 PM »
Philip -

Fine pictures, as per usual. It really is remarkable how the course "greened up" post the Open.

One question - has the course gone back to its regular routing since the Open or is the club thinking about retaining the Open routing and finishing on old #16?

One comment - while I am most reluctant to comment on anyone's golf swing, you might want to advise Lloyd Cole that his "reverse C" finish went out in the 1970's, along with Johnny Miller and polyester, double-knit pants!   ;)  To avoid lower back problems in the coming years, he should strive to emulate R. Goodale's textbook follow-thru, which moves his weight to his left leg at the finish of his swing.

DT

David

You will probbaly be horrified to hear that my 'C' is actually not as bad as it used to be.. but it surely sit poorly next to our opponents...

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 07:34:51 PM »
Lloyd -

I appreciate your appreciation of my (hopefully) constructive criticism of your golf swing. Believe me, I live in fear of the day when a photo of my golf swing graces this board!

DT

Philip Gawith

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 04:54:37 AM »
David - when winter rules return, which I think is the end of the month, they will return to the old routing. In due course, the club will then vote on which routing it prefers - but they are clearly determined not to make a hasty decision. I think the club fathers reckon they were too hasty years agon in abandoning the OB next to the 7th hole and don't want to repeat that "error". Some GCAers seem to think, from comments made when we were there, that it is a foregone conclusion that the Open routing becomes the established routing - I am not so sure.

As for Lloyd's reverse C, three observations:

- he is a good golfer, with or without!
- since I was taking the snaps, you do not get the opportunity to see me hanging back on the right side!
- have you not heard that the reverse C is returning, just as polyster is? Now would surely be a bad time to abandon it.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 06:03:32 AM »
You are right Sean - I was referring to the question of whether the club would adopt the Open routing for ALL golf. I don't think there is any doubt that it will be used again when the Open returns many years hence, but it is an open question what will happen the rest of the time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back