News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike Hendren

Sewanee, How I Lova Ya, How I Love Ya (w/ photographs)
« on: October 06, 2006, 09:48:45 AM »
With apologies to Al Jolson.

I have known for years that The University Of The South had a nine hole golf course, but nary a mention of anyone playing there.  Low and behold it is included in Anthony Pioppi's book To The Nines so I figure I'd better drop by.  

Tony chronicles The Sewanee Golf Club's fascinating history in his book, but I needed to see the place for myself.  

The course plays 2983 yards from one set of markers and 3153 from a second set to yield 18 holes totaling 6163 yards.  Green fee is $14 for all day.  

Unirrigated fairways sport common bermuda, various weeds and dirt:

Greens are lucious bent grass that can be parted with a comb.  More than a little grain.

Now you see it:

Now you don't:

The course is heavily treed with giant oaks.  A hat is advisable this time of year to soften the pelting of the acorns.

Holes of note:

The 2nd is a 406 uphill par four on the "front" and 545 par five on the "back."  From the 406 markers, great advantage is gained by playing left off the tee if the tree line can be avoided.  Anything right of center kicks right and leaves a longer uphill blind approach:

A long drive down the left side leaves a slight glimpse of the flag:

There is a slight valley fronting the green, precluding shots that fall short from running on to the green, pictured below(the approach is from the right).  The mowing pattern reflects the severe internal contouring:

This hole would be replaced by a practice range under a renovation proposed by Brian Silva in September 2004.

The fourth hole plays 159 to 164 yards to a skyline green that needs a little more clearing:

The green is a fully 35 paces deep and a mere 7 paces wide in the middle.  From the front right:

Looking back:

The par three sixth, which I played at 190 yards is the heretofore mythical "Treedan," calling for a draw played at the left side of the oak tree's canopy.  I took one less club, aimed at the tree and watched as my ball kicked forward and left to 20 feet:  

From the back left of the green, the redan orientation is more obvious:

The tee shot at the 327 yard 8th swings left and demands a draw off the left edge of the lone oak:

More general observations:  The greens are incredibly soft, yet I observed few, if any pitchmarks.  The locals obviously play the ground game.  I did as well, putting from 85 yards out on the 9th to 15 feet.

The grain generally follows the slope of the greens, perhaps due to drainage and apparent over-watering.  Uphill putts stimp at 6.  An uphill/side-hill putt is nigh impossible for the first-timer.  Local knowledge is crucial.  Would you believe the ball in the fore-ground below must be played right of the ball nearer the hole?

It's a little more obvious looking back:

While not worth a pilgrimmage If you're driving on I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville, the course is less than ten minutes from the interstate, never crowded, and easily played in 90 minutes, even with camera in-hand and a few mulligans along the way.

Give it a go.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:26:43 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

BCrosby

Re:Sewanee, How I Lova Ya, How I Love Ya
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 09:53:29 AM »
Bogey -

I've played Sewanee 70 or 80 times.

I take it that you played it recently?

Early on I learned to overlook its physical shortcomings and appreciate its metaphysical strengths.

Of which there are some. If you squint.

Bob

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:03:49 AM by BCrosby »

Mike Hendren

Re:Sewanee, How I Lova Ya, How I Love Ya
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 10:25:38 AM »
Bob,

I played there this week.

Not surprised you've played there as its clientele likely includes carpet-bagging northern American students, local farmers, retired professors and generations of genteel Southerners looking to escape the heat of the summer.  I believe you quality in one of those four categories. ;)

Yes, a little squinting is in order, but as Dad always said, "It's a better golf course than I am golfer."

Mike

BCrosby

Re:Sewanee, How I Lova Ya, How I Love Ya (w/ photographs)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:45:47 AM »
Bogey -

You got me. I do qualify for one of your categories. You could have shortened them to the old, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Despite my southern genteel snobbism (hey, we've all got issues) I came to enjoy the course. In July and August it has rock hard fairways (that's not a metaphor; they are like airport runways) which were fun to play. Even for short irons you play for 25 yards of big, bounding bounces. It's actually kinda cool.

Did you notice the pictures in the little clubhous of John Capers, the Merion historian and former captain of the U. of South golf team?

Bob

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 10:50:16 AM »
Bob,

This will come as a complete shock, but I am not acquainted with the Merion membership.

Yes, Sewanne defines firm and fast.  Nothing rolls like a ball.

Mike

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 10:50:49 AM »
Can people honestly comment on how they would view a course maintained as in the first photo? It wouldn't bother me at all, but I'm a little weird.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 11:00:10 AM »
George,

I played the ball down and didn't pull out a wedge all morning.  I believe I could shoot 40 with a driver, putter and 5-iron.  BTW, that's what I recorded with a full bag.

Mike

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 11:00:26 AM »
George - You aren't weird.

To be clear, I have enjoyed the course over the years. One of the reasons is because it is maintained the way most courses were maintained 60 or 70 years ago.

There is no fairway irrigation, the turf is spotty, and greens are kept long and stimp at about 5.

It calls for a game people of our generation are rarely asked to play. I look forward to my next visit, probably next summer.

Bob  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 11:16:16 AM by BCrosby »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »
Bogey,
 Is this the kind of place where the maintenance throwback identifies the pampered bias inherent in the American golfing mindset?

In other words, anyone who wouldn't enjoy the sport of golf here, would cite the conditions as their impediment to considering it quality.

In  the words of a famous former Rhodesian footballer,,,"What a pity!"
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 11:13:30 AM »
Bob,

I'd love to join you for a quick nine next summer.

Adam,

This would be considered a "goat track" by most, including yours truly a few years back.

Mike

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 11:18:50 AM »
Let's do it. Then we'll go by Shinanigans (sp?) at the UofS and have a bad hamburger and some very good beer.

Bob

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 11:26:22 AM »
Bogey,

This thread just warms the cockles of my heart. The fact that To the Nines inspired you to visit Sewanee is very cool.
   So what is the next course in the book you will be visiting? Come out to Rhode Island and I’ll take you to Ocean Links and the Well of Fame.

Anthony

Jimbo

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 11:29:11 AM »
Wow!  I never thought I'd see that course get any pub.

I fondly recall rocketing 3 dozen brand new golf balls, supplied by my one of my new-found very rich friends, off the side of The Mountain from one of the tees.  My first week at Sewanee as a frosh.  

Looks to be in MUCH better condition than in the Fall of 1983.

Whats all that green stuff?

Next, you'll tell me theres more than a truckstop to eat at it nearby.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 11:30:30 AM »
Jimbo,

Two words:  Waffle House

Mike

wsmorrison

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 02:07:46 PM »
Bogey,

This was the college course for my friend, John G. Capers III, a recent inductee into the Sewanee University Hall of Fame.  John has 13 club championships at Merion Golf Club and counting.  Before he left for the event, John found an old scorecard from his college team days (captain in 1965 and 1966).  He beat that score by 4 strokes in a round prior to his induction.  He's a gamer, that crafty veteran.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 02:08:32 PM by Wayne Morrison »

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »
Wayne -

I was very disappointed that Bogey did not notice even one of the TWO pictures of John hanging in the Sewanee clubhouse.  ;)

Bob

wsmorrison

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 02:57:48 PM »
Bob,

I just saw your prior posting where you mentioned John's photos in the clubhouse.  If only he aged as well as his golf game  ;D  I remember you and John speaking of Sewanee when you were visiting our city.  You both spoke very fondly of the place and the photos present a certain charm.  Hope to see you soon, if not at the dance recital, at least for a drink or dinner.

Best,
Wayne

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 04:12:42 PM »
Bogey,

This thread just warms the cockles of my heart.

Yes, there are few things worse than walking around with cold cockles.

;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:16:29 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back