News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Brian Joines

Interesting Golf Experience - in Tanzania
« on: October 05, 2006, 10:01:24 PM »
I thought I'd share a little story from a recent family trip to Tanzania.

On the final day of a 5-day safari in Tanzania, our group of 7 was headed back to the city of Arusha to catch our flight. We ended up in Arusha 5 hours before our plane was leaving so had a few hours to kill. After lunch, we met with Mr. Fortes, the owner of the safari company. It turns out he's an avid golfer. He invited my brother, uncle and I to go squeeze in as many holes as we could at his golf club.

I believe the name of the course was Arusha Athletic Club. It's the only golf course in Arusha and 1 of 3 in the entire country of Tanzania. It was 9 holes with different tees for each side. It was a pretty flat, parkland style course. We only got to play a 4 holes but it was a very cool experience.

Mr. Fortes was a true golf nut. He had his hips replaced the year before and was hitting balls the day he got out of the hospital. He still wasn't able to hit it very far due to the hips but he sure hit it straight.There's a very small number of golfers in that part of the world and it's great to see one with such entusiasm for the game. So if you're ever going out that way, book the safari through Fortes Safari and maybe you'll get to squeeze in round of golf as well.

Sadly, my camera was on it's last bit of battery so I only got a couple shots of the course.

EDIT: Sorry they are so small. If you click on one of the photos you can see it in full size.

Anyone else played here?

What remote courses have you played that you think very few others on here have seen?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:08:19 PM by Brian Joines »

George Pazin

Re:Interesting Golf Experience - in Tanzania
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 01:56:20 PM »
Bumping.

Man, that is flat ground.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Okula

Re:Interesting Golf Experience - in Tanzania
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 03:41:27 PM »
It appears to be a remarkably uniform turf sward. Is Dave Wilber consulting there?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back