News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Re:Is this a first? I need homework help!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 04:03:04 PM »
Here is the article:

George Washington:
-Golfing for Presidency?

Today, on April 20th, we have confirmed reports of George Washington campaigning for presidency.  He has a brand new way to gain votes.
  The more votes, the better the chance of presidency.  For that reason, George Washington left on a golf trip to Europe. So more Europeans would go to the U.S. and vote for him as president, Washington made several day trips to St. Andrews golf links, the classic golf links in Scotland.  Here, on the golf course, he campaigned with fellow players so they would come to the United States and vote for him.   So far 96 Europeans have made the move to the United States to vote for Washington.            
  So, as for now, Washington leads the presidency in terms of being the favorite.  We have come up with a certain amount of rounds of golf Washington needs to play to ensure his presidency, and that number is 87.  
  Shall he play that much?
  A close source says he will be playing for the next couple of months, and, in which case, he will be just short.

And here are the picutres I used:

The image from Eric, and,

Jordan Wall

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 04:09:35 PM »
DAn Kelly,

My articles are:

-editorials
-interview of a founding father
-colonial life
-free choice

my partner's articles are

-comic
-weather
-anniversary (of Colombus)

Paul Payne

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 04:41:12 PM »
Jordan,

It's been a while since I've been that stoned. keep the peace.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »
Jordan,

I don't recall Washington being elected by popular vote...but I could be wrong.  I remember when you first met us you said you were a 7 handicap looking to play golf at Stanford.  I would put more work into your SAT studies than your golf game based on what I read above...as it is a shorter trek from 7 to 3 than from 300 to 700..

Straight from the mouth of a Graduate of Southern Illinois..at Edwardsville no less..
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 05:37:49 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 05:29:19 PM »
George Washington was born in King and Queen County, Virginia and he did travel through Williamsburg and Tidewater Virginia in the 1770's. Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has early records of golf in Virginia that include:

1600s-1700s
Virginia death inventories from Northampton and Norfolk counties list “goff clubs, golfe sticks, balls” as items included in estates. Quantities in one Norfolk County inventory are large enough to suggest the deceased was a golf equipment retailer. In addition, it is likely that Scottish and Irish immigrants to the colonies brought their favorite recreation to the New World.

1774 –1776
The last British colonial governor, John Murray, the Earl of Dunmore, was a Scot. Informal records indicate he played or practiced golf on the grounds of the Governor’s Palace in Williamsburg.

I don't know what type of history is taught in Washington State but it's nothing like what we learned in Virginia. Anybody that's interested in a meaningful history learning experience, the 225th celebration of the Surrender at Yorktown is October 19-22. It kicks off the 400th celebration of Jamestown. If you get bored with the history side you can find the remnants and routing of about twelve holes from the old Flynn course.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 05:44:33 PM »
If you include our country while under the Articles of Confederation, and not the Constitution, Old George was actually our 8th President.

I understand its comedy, but I doubt that the Brits could take up residency and vote within the time frame suggested by your article.  Dead Chicagoans however, have been known to do just that.

I only point it out because even with the opportunity to be a little off beat, it still is a history class, not creative writing, and I suspect the prof would want an accurate tie in to your supposition.  If so, looks like Jordan will pull an all nighter in a rewrite.

Just like the election, it will be down to the wire!

BTW, in your 12:08 post, was that other article referring to the first "W" or the current "W" who is president?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

JR Potts

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 05:49:18 PM »
First off, that could not have taken more than 30 minutes to write.  So hardly think that an all-nighter is in order.

Second, I still want to know where he is going to play his 87 rounds.

Finally, I still want to know what Brits are dumb enough to follow GW to America for golf.  What a horrible decision that would have been.

And John, you are right, GW was elected by an electoral college vote....not a popular vote of Americans...or golf loving Englishmen.  

In fact, both GW's were elected by Electoral College votes and not popular votes. ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 05:58:04 PM by Ryan Potts »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 06:03:24 PM »

I understand its comedy

That makes one of us.  And I thought some of Jordan's thoughts on golf architecture were incoherent. :)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 06:09:33 PM »
These are not attacks...Not to go all Foley on the kid..but you gotta love him and try to help a bit..

JR Potts

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 06:17:41 PM »
I have no desire to attack....however, I just found it funny that the description of the project was longer than the project itself.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2006, 06:31:07 PM »
I have no desire to attack....however, I just found it funny that the description of the project was longer than the project itself.

The project is six other articles plus pictures and it is only the front page of a newspaper.

Hey, I'll get an 'A' so I am happy..

Tim Pitner

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 07:00:07 PM »

The project is six other articles plus pictures and it is only the front page of a newspaper.

Hey, I'll get an 'A' so I am happy..

Can you say, "grade inflation"?  When I was in high school, I had to write in sentences.  This isn't personal, Jordan, but I fear for our youth.    

JR Potts

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 08:23:39 PM »
Jordan - You didn't really turn that in did you?

I remember when I was in the high school and I used to write crap like that.  Yep, I too half-assed it.  I would bring it down to my dad.  He would tear the crap out of it.  I would get mad and the cycle would continue until it was done properly.

Jordan....consider us your Daddies.

"Who is your Daddy?"

Jordan Wall

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2006, 10:28:05 PM »
Jordan - You didn't really turn that in did you?

I remember when I was in the high school and I used to write crap like that.  Yep, I too half-assed it.  I would bring it down to my dad.  He would tear the crap out of it.  I would get mad and the cycle would continue until it was done properly.

Jordan....consider us your Daddies.

"Who is your Daddy?"

Its not due until Monday.

Perhaps I should change it so G. WA designs a golf course...?

And it has to be somewhat short, because we do not have a lot of space.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2006, 11:39:19 PM »

GW designed a golf course?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Dan Kelly

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2006, 11:49:25 PM »

Sure. It was called "The Winter at Valley Forge." One of the first resort courses with an article and a preposition.

Ron Whitten called it a "revolutionary" design.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:50:19 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jordan Wall

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2006, 11:54:29 PM »

Sure. It was called "The Winter at Valley Forge." One of the first resort courses with an article and a preposition.

Ron Whitten called it a "revolutionary" design.

Mt teacher's gonna love this one..

Thanks, Dan!

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 06:04:35 AM »
Jordan,

How about an article on "The real reason why young George Washington cut down the cherry tree"

- cos it was planted 20 years ago by a clueless greens committee chairman (who is also a rater) and had now begun to encroach upon the line of play and destroy the strategy of the hole (according to the Gods of GCA).

JeffTodd

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 09:39:02 AM »
Jordan,

In the most recent issue of Travel and Leisure Golf (recent, as in mine showed up yesterday), there is an article on Charleston (SC) golf, but it includes references to the cities long and colorful history. Among the references was a mention of Washington having slept there, and that he could have played some golf with local Scotsman who had been playing there (in some form) by that time. Perhaps you could use that line of reasoning to interject a more historically plausible connection of Washington to golf.

Not be a stickler, but perhaps Washington's coup, for your purposes, would make more sense if he used his golfing prowess to woo the electors instead of British citizens. As mentioned, Washington was not elected by popular vote of Americans, much less citizens of the Crown.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:40:07 AM by JeffTodd »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 07:56:14 PM »
Jordan--

Is this AP US History?

You could make the REAL reason for the Revolution be from the uproar caused by Brits rolling back the golf ball (The little-known Clubs and Balls Act of 1774).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jordan Wall

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2006, 09:40:01 PM »
Jordan--

Is this AP US History?

You could make the REAL reason for the Revolution be from the uproar caused by Brits rolling back the golf ball (The little-known Clubs and Balls Act of 1774).

Oh no.

I have three other AP classes but couldn't do another AP History class because History is so boring for me (not golf history, world history, big difference).

And BTW I know that the people did not vote for WA.  That is why the article was made up.

My new article is on a 'revolutionary' design and I should find a way to includee a bit about the roll back ball.
Good one, Tim, thanks
 :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back