News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Troy Alderson

Superintendent ethics
« on: October 03, 2006, 09:54:52 PM »
Recently, I was reprimanded for a comment I made on this site about what a superintendent could do to remedy a problem with his greens.  Privately, I posted that the superintendent should be trusted to resolve the problem.  Publicly, I did not state that.  The superintendent did not have access to that private statement and he felt I overstepped my bounds.  I apologized to him face to face the the issue is now dead.

It is very important for everyone to realize that superintendents must not speak ill of one another at all.  Each golf course has its own issues that are separate from other golf courses.  Whenever anyone on this site post something about their golf course, be sure that the superintendent of the golf course is approached first about the issue.  When we post a reply we must make sure that we offer suggestions based upon what is posted.  We do not have direct contact with the superintendent and the golf course issue and must not act as the superintendent.  We are posters on a web site, not in the field consulting on turf problems.

I learned a lot from this experience, forgetting that this is a public forum open to all on the web.  Let's make sure that we are ethical in our postings.

Troy Alderson,
Humbled

John Kavanaugh

Re:Superintendent ethics
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »
Troy,

I'm confused...are you a superintendent yourself and were you criticizing a course where you are a member.  Why are superintendents to be consulted before opinions are discussed and architects not.. or is it only courses where we personally know the people off base.

btw:  What form did your reprimand take..a letter, a call or a confrontation.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 09:37:02 AM »
Maybe this instance will lead to another reminder we all need at times.

The more responsibilities one has the more one can be sure to be second guessed and criticized AND THAT”S A GOOD THING.  Just because someone recommends a solution to a problem doesn’t mean the responsible party has to choose that solution.  In my experience, those that move up the list are happy to get multiple solutions, whether direct or not, and use their judgment to select the best course of action.  Judgment is like a muscle that must be exercised on a daily basis to be conditioned to meet the daily strains of ones position and challenges.  That good judgment is why most are in the position they are in.

I was very politely asked by a member of this board if they could publicly criticize some of our greens and setup issues at Angels Crossing and my response was “of course.”  The reason for my answer has many levels, two of them being very basic; 1) someone might benefit from the exchange and 2) I might actually see something I had not considered prior.  I think they meant critique, but in today’s hyper-sensitive world everyone is soooo careful to stay off toes that it is a bit ridiculous.  Sadly, we often mistake a critique as personal criticism.  There is nothing wrong or unethical about working a problem.  As human beings we only fail when we choose to work the people instead of the problem and make issues a matter of personal traits or conditions.  

Troy, I don’t recall you calling anyone an idiot or stupid or greedy or corrupt or lazy.  Maybe I missed something, but I doubt it.  Hang in there and learn the lesson of growing thicker skin for the day you find yourself a few rungs higher on the ladder.  Remember when one is never being second guessed, he is probably a little to comfortable and approaching becoming stagnant.  It’s a calm before a storm.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:47:26 AM »
I don’t recall you calling anyone an idiot or stupid or greedy or corrupt or lazy.  

I find it sad that political correctness trumps the communities right (and desire) to know when someone is acting outside the boundaries of decency.

Added;
My above post is in general terms. Meaning, people should speak up when someone is abusive or corrupted.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 10:32:14 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Troy Alderson

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:23:05 PM »
John,

In the thread, I offered suggestions for a GCA member to transition to poa greens, as did others on this web board, at the club he is a member of.  In a private message to that GCA member, I suggested that he trust the superintendent to figure out what the problem of the greens is.  I at no time directly criticized the golf course or the superintendent.  But the superintendent at the club did not take kindly to my remarks.  He is under a lot of pressure at that club.  He is also correct in his opinion of my postings.  I WAS WRONG.

IMHO, at no time should a golf course superintendent transition to poa intentionally.  Fight for bentgrass and fescue, always.

As superintendents, we must back up each other and help when ever possible and be careful what we say.  The superintendent at this particular course, I consider a professional and very capable.  Golf clubs and members should be going to the superintendent first before going to outside sources.  And we must be careful of the suggestions that we post.

Troy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:26:17 PM by Troy Alderson »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 08:21:04 AM »
Troy,

I'd tell the offended party to hop on a range picker and see if he can get some.  Neither supers or members have the time to have a pow wow every time one or the other forms an opinion.  Sometimes the super has to suck it up and sometimes the member has to do the same...rarely if ever is everything going to be perfect for either side.

I have been in your position before and clearly understand your desire just to go back to that happy place that existed before you opened your mouth...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back