News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Thomas and Bell
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:11:21 PM »
I'm curious if anybody has an opinion on the design relationship bewteen Billy Bell and George Thomas. Just how much influence did Bell have on designs that Thomas is given credit for? I may be mistaken, but it appears that all of Thomas' work is collaborative were as Bell's solo work (San Digeo CC, La Jolla CC, San Clemente) was just that, solo. I don't mean to question Thomas' design credibility (in fact, he's one of my favorites) , I just wonder if Bell is given enough credit for his contributions to Thomas' designs as well as what he did on his own.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

rjsimper

Re:Thomas and Bell
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:35:06 PM »
Palos Verdes Golf Club, the course I grew up playing, is credited on the scorecard solely to Thomas.  Yet, my friendship with Mr. Naccarato has since informed me that this is very much not the case and Bell deserves credit for this unsung but excellent design.

Patrick Schultheis

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 03:23:27 AM »
Stanford Golf Course is credited to both Thomas and Bell.

I don't know the whole story, but I seem to recall that for a long time it was credited to Bell alone, and only in the last 15 years or so was it determined that it was a joint collaboration.

Is that history correct or am I misremembering?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »
David,

Although Bell designed many fine courses, are any of them superior to the Thomas/Bell collaborations? Thomas brought strategy to the table in their collaborative designs. Although routing was a strong suit with Bell, the intracacies of Riviera are lacking in even the best of his solo efforts.  Perhaps his major contribution was bunker building and surface drainage; taking care of the on site construction details that make the designers vision work in the field.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back