News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike McGuire

help with aerial and topographic plan
« on: August 30, 2006, 07:13:35 PM »
Our needs a current topographical plan of our course. Can anyone provide info, approx costs , or contacts? Looking to do this as inexpensive as possible. Location is SE Wisconsin

request is for scale (1" = 100') with 2ft. contour elevations.

Thanks

Tyler Kearns

Re:help with aerial and topographic plan
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 09:05:49 PM »
Mike,

I am certain there is an aerial photography library in your state that could provide you with half the information you are looking for. Presently, I can get an aerial photograph for approx. $15-20 CDN which can be plugged into the computer for accurate plans to be drawn up (which will take nearly a week 24-32 hrs. @ $25-$40/hr.) As far as topographic information, I'd contact a local survey company who can put together a topo plan after accumulating a number of elevations on site and then analysing the info stereoscopically. If the site is extremely flat, you could probably paste in contours from Terraserver or Google Earth because more intricate detail would not exist on site.

TK
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:13:52 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 09:25:50 PM »
Mike,
If you are going to spend the money on a good topo survey (it could be as much as $15K or more) here are a few things I have learned that you want to verify:

1) Observable ground features need to include; cart paths, structures, tree canopies, bunker edges, green edges, mowed tee edges, water surface of all lakes and ponds, etc.

2) Forrest Richardson once told me (I have not had this done yet) that your club may want to place paper plates out on the irrigation heads and valves on the day of the aerial photography.  This will provide visual markers which can be digitized by the survey company and placed on a separate layer for the superintendent to mark up with what is what.  This eliminates the need for GPSing of all heads assuming you don’t already have a good GPS of your irrigation system.

3) It makes sense to ask that any city/county GIS data be incorporated into the survey file.  For example, if property maps and parcel maps are available, they should be reconciled to the survey and included as a layer in the digital file.  Likewise easements (sewer, electric, telephone, etc.) should be reconciled to the survey.

4) When every thing is finished, a digital file will be provided in DVD format on which all data is layered and can be turned on/off...tree canopies, greens, tees, contours, easements, property lines, water bodies, cart paths, etc.

Another helpful tip is to GPS primary trees by field marking the trunks of the trees. This is of course an extra cost. The survey will show canopies...not trunks.  Three or four trees, for example, might show up on the survey as one large grouping...not four trees.  Keep that in mind if you want more pin-pointed detail.

We are getting ready to do another aerial survey for a course in NJ.  Usually clubs are shocked when they hear the price but the data is quite valuable.  Also, prices seem to vary all across the country.

Good luck!
Mark

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 10:40:38 PM »
Mike, where exactly is this course?  IM me for some local info.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:55:21 PM »
Mike

The company I work for does this for a living.  Mark is right about the need for integrating the aerials and topos with all important green keeping data.  For the cost he quotes you can get 2 inch topos if you want.  Check out:

www.optimizegolf.com

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 11:11:21 PM »
Rich,
I guess I need to have you negotiate for me on aerial surveys  ;D  Actually we just provide names of companies that do this and let the clubs decide who they want to use.

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 11:20:04 PM »
Mark

If you do the aerial survey properly, you only need a very small number of "on the ground" detailed GPS readings.  With +/- 2" accuracy, you can identify the sprinkler headswithout having to resort to putting pie plates on them, etc. etc.  E-mail me if you want to know more.  We are actively marketing in the States now.

Rich

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 07:34:06 AM »
Rich,
I am by no means an expert on aerial surveys.  Maybe I can drum you up some business.  I'll email you.

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 07:43:02 AM »
Thanks, Mark

Will e-mail you.

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back