News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Strange Green Shapes
« on: August 26, 2006, 02:08:06 PM »
I finally got to see my first GCA'ers golf course yesterday and found some interesting, as well as strange things going on. The first of which is the 16th green at Forrest's Phantom Horse Golf Course. This has to be one of the most unique green shapes I have ever seen. Perhaps a plan view would show the shape a little more accurately but here it is:

I would also like to see what kind of examples you guys can come up with.

Chris Perry

Re:Strange Green Shapes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 03:41:09 PM »
Looks a lot like the 4th at Spyglass.

There's also the 17th at Glen Abbey, and Riviera's 6th.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 03:55:24 PM »
Ryan
If you really want to see "Strange" or "Unique" , then you need to get yourself to Cruden Bay.

Best Regards
Brian

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 05:56:04 PM »
100 yard green at Engh's new Harmony club, he also has a great 17th green at Lakota Canyon
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:12:45 AM »
Ryan,

Can you tell us more about the hole leading up to that green?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 12:20:26 AM »
What about that one skinny green at Myopia?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 01:04:15 AM »
Matt, its a dogleg right. From the back tee you have 200 yards straight ahead then its desert just before the dogleg turns. It is driveable but there is some brush and small trees blocking the view of the green. If you want to go at the hole you need to have played the course before to know where to aim your drive. Its also kind of odd because the hole just before it is also driveable. I came up a few yards short on that one but ended up with a bogey. Apparently I don't know how to play out of sand anymore.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 04:49:25 AM »
Ryan,

Both Morgan Hill and Lederach by Kelly Blake Moran feature some pretty odd shapes for greens. I am quite fond the 16th green at Lederach, which is a U-shaped, gull-winged affair for a short par 3.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 07:24:12 AM »
Most public course designers are careful not to design greens where someone may be on the actual green surface, yet forced to chip. I am certain greenskeepers hate that!

Save your 'u' shaped greens for people who have the money for maintainence! They fall under the category of cools things you should rarely do.

Lassing Pointe has a 100+ yard green, set diagonal across a pond, where pin placement can change your appproach club from PW to fairway wood. Most of the pin placements they use would allow you a long [perhaps 250ft] putt, rather than a chip; God forbid. Still, a very nice Hurdzan design.

Doug

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 09:34:24 AM »
Boone Valley in Augusta Missouri has a 3 prong (propeller bladish) green.  Not sure exactly how long, but probably a 3 to 4 club difference front to back.
Steve Pozaric

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »
That's a cool green of Forrest's.  A bit like Spylgass #4, but as a crown green vs. punchbowl, it has to play a lot harder.

In my experience and IMHO, strange green shapes become goofy if there isn't a lot of thought put into how they are exactly going to play.  From what I can see, I think Forrest has put in the necessary thought.

Brad Klein

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »
Colonial 9th: like state of Texas

Hayden Lake 1st: like state of Idaho
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 11:20:13 AM by Brad Klein »

ForkaB

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 11:25:42 AM »
Just about all greens from the Dark Ages:

Like the State of Colorado (or Wyoming).....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back