News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re:Walking is Dead!
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2006, 05:44:25 PM »
Carts should be reserved for those who need them and artificial resort courses. Otherwise they clutter up the natural surroundings and spoil the ambiance for everyone else. Gasoline-powered carts are the worst, they are noisy as hell.

I do understand that some people prefer to ride in carts, because they see a round of Golf more as social and light-hearted fun. But if they are not out for the natural experience anyway, they could as well restrict themselves to resort-style courses. On those courses I might take a cart myself occasionally, because there "it belongs".

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

George Pazin

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2006, 05:45:58 PM »
I sincerely hope walking is not dead, but it does kinda seem like it's on life support, sometimes.

There is plenty of walking at my home muni, in fact, I'd guess it's more common than riding. What's even sillier is that the riding is pretty much confined to the seniors - and the 20-and-under crowd! I understand and applaud one, but am saddened by the other.

I don't have a problem with those who need a cart taking one, but it seems undeniable to me that it has absolutely awful effects on the game. Sorry, Glenn, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2006, 05:50:07 PM »
I myself ride fairly often - for pretty much the same reasons Tony T. lists.  I'd add to it I ride on mountainous courses where walking would be stupid, and we sure have enough of those in the western USA.

But that being said, I concur completely with George P., who could not have put it better when he said:

I don't have a problem with those who need a cart taking one, but it seems undeniable to me that it has absolutely awful effects on the game.

Well said, George.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2006, 06:00:21 PM »
Ron:

I've been in Scotland the past week and I saw golf carts all over the place -- several of them at Muirfield, and at Gullane and Luffness too.  (Thankfully, not at North Berwick.)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »
Ron:

I've been in Scotland the past week and I saw golf carts all over the place -- several of them at Muirfield, and at Gullane and Luffness too.  (Thankfully, not at North Berwick.)

I was really shocked to see a cart - carrying a couple of young guys - on the Balcomie Links at Crail.  That really was a crying shame.  :'(

Daryl David

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2006, 06:44:20 PM »
Tom,
Won't the proliferation of carts on courses such as Muirfield, Luffness and the like eventully lead to turf damage?  I would think that might then lead to over watering.  Next thing you know there goes firm and fast.

Steve Lang

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2006, 08:49:51 PM »
 8)

Three wheel trolleys are alive and well down here... plenty of room for all sorts of provisions and that open umbrella too, to give some shade..

what's amaizin to us is that 4 senior walkers (two couples)with push carts can continuously push a foursome in two carts for 4 hours.. it certainly helps to hit it where you can find it.. however, most are not so inclined to play fast, which then makes it a real choice.. less than ~4 hour walk or 4.5+ hour death march.. when the latter appears to be reality, we vote with our feet and walk off after 9.. and tell the pro bye bye..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2006, 09:27:20 PM »
Daryl:

It's true that an excess of cart traffic over the same area will quickly wear down fescue in the fairways.  But Muirfield sees maybe five cart rounds a day, two or three days a week.  The maintenance crew of an American course (NOTE: not a British course, where it's a crew of six, mostly on foot) would do way more damage than that.

I did wonder when I saw all those carts in the parking lot at Erin Hills what they were thinking in regard to keeping the fescue intact.

John Kirk

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »
I just like the pace of the game when you walk.  I have an arthritic knee, so I walk with a non-motorized pull cart except for special occasions, when I'll carry or use a caddie.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:24:09 PM by John Kirk »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2006, 11:45:07 PM »

I am 59 and walk almost all of the time and mostly with a push/pull cart. The only time I will take a power cart is if it is a client tournament, probably a Texas scramble, which will take 5+ hours to complete and you do not give a damn. In those circumstances I know the course really does not matter, it is a matter of socializing and for some, drinking.

I have a son who has one leg. He loves golf, can hit a ball at most 200 yds and could not possibly walk more than 3 holes on a normal course. No reason he should not be able to enjoy a course like I can just because he cannot walk the route. Just like Casey but without the competitive issues. If he can grab a cart and go out there and have fun and appreciate the course, I am pleased and could not care less that he needs a cart. I suspect most of you would not disagree.

Tom D. mentioned seeing carts on Gullane and Muirfield. That blows me away. I have been to Scotland twice and cannot recall having seen a power cart being used by a golfer. Maybe the maintenance guys but not a golfer. Is this a sign that the Scots are relenting to those from the US etc who demand carts? More of the money grab? I know a lot of the Scottish courses make a substantial income from the Yankees  (okay and some Canucks) which keeps their own dues down but going to power carts as a source of income stinks!
That bothers me as much as the caddies at St Andrews having to wear uni's instead of whatever they felt like. Takes away from the character of the place in a big way.

Enough!

Bob J.

Ron Farris

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2006, 11:57:27 PM »
I didn't expect to see four pages on this one.  
The college kid I played against was a sophmore and appeared to be in good health.  He hit his 3 wood 60 yards past my drives on many holes(inferring nothing).  What surprised me was that his parents walked as they followed their son.  It seemed odd to me.  I spoke more with the dad than the son.  The mother seemed to act as a fore caddie.  Playing in our group was a college team member who walked.

I confess that I do take a cart when I play my home course, which is quite hilly.  If I am play nine holes I usually walk.  I thoroughly understand the economics of carts in the golf business.  I was expecting to see issues with college players and cart use.  I do not remember ever playing in a college event and using a cart.  

Sean_A

« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2006, 05:21:03 AM »

I am 59 and walk almost all of the time and mostly with a push/pull cart. The only time I will take a power cart is if it is a client tournament, probably a Texas scramble, which will take 5+ hours to complete and you do not give a damn. In those circumstances I know the course really does not matter, it is a matter of socializing and for some, drinking.

I have a son who has one leg. He loves golf, can hit a ball at most 200 yds and could not possibly walk more than 3 holes on a normal course. No reason he should not be able to enjoy a course like I can just because he cannot walk the route. Just like Casey but without the competitive issues. If he can grab a cart and go out there and have fun and appreciate the course, I am pleased and could not care less that he needs a cart. I suspect most of you would not disagree.

Tom D. mentioned seeing carts on Gullane and Muirfield. That blows me away. I have been to Scotland twice and cannot recall having seen a power cart being used by a golfer. Maybe the maintenance guys but not a golfer. Is this a sign that the Scots are relenting to those from the US etc who demand carts? More of the money grab? I know a lot of the Scottish courses make a substantial income from the Yankees  (okay and some Canucks) which keeps their own dues down but going to power carts as a source of income stinks!
That bothers me as much as the caddies at St Andrews having to wear uni's instead of whatever they felt like. Takes away from the character of the place in a big way.

Enough!

Bob J.

Carts have been around GB&I for as long as I have been visiting.  Usually they are reserved for old boys, but some courses have a few about for general use.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Mark_F

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2006, 05:29:02 AM »
Au contraire Sean, it is not the oldies I have seen in carts in the UK, but teenagers and other assorted young riff-raff, who seem to delight in hooning around sacred land when they think no one is looking.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2006, 09:17:30 AM »
There is a fallacy in some prior posts that it is wrong to criticize the use of carts.  If one is physically unable to play golf without the use of a cart, then a cart is wonderful.  If one feels the weather or the course layout makes walking not a viable option, then the cart could be seen as the means towards being able to play a round of golf.

However, I do not accept that walking a round of golf for a typical person, on a layout which does not have an abnormal amount of walking distance between green to tee, when the temperature or heat index is not greater than 90 degrees can not be considered as relaxing.  Once one becomes a regular walker of at least 15 minutes per day, and keeps oneself well nourished and hydrated, walking 18 holes while carrying a light bag or pulling a cart will not be tiring.  And if this done on a regular basis (once per week in season), 18 holes walking will soon become a breeze.

Beyond this fallacy, there is harm to using a cart.  First, is the health benefit of good exercise the cart user is denying them self.  Second, the cart damages the course and this cost is incurred by all golfers, Third, cart paths are a detriment to the architecture of the course and can adversely affect some offline shots.  Third, cart paths add to the cost of construction and maintenance.  Fourth, and not least, use of carts requires use of either electricity of gas.  These are scarce resource whose production is adversely effecting our environment.

This is why walkers are so aghast at seeing many healthy people riding carts on average courses under average summer weather conditions.  This cart usage adversely affects the walkers, but the walkers are not adversely affecting the cart users enjoyment or cost.

Finally, those who walk know that a round of golf is always more enjoyable walking than by cart as long as that person is physically able to walk.  The course contours and layout are better realized by foot, the golfer's tempo seems to be better when walking, the mental preparedness flows better from shot to shot when one walks between each shot, and the camaraderie between players even seems to improve.

For further understandings about the benefits of walking, read the chapter in Golf In the Kingdom concerning walking.  Also, read Thoreau’s essay Walking.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2006, 09:27:12 AM »
Should we string them all up or give them a break and just banish them to Florida with the rest of the carts?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2006, 09:27:25 AM »
Well said, Bill S.  I am always going to walk if it's possible.

Having said that, I'm not going to criticize anybody who wants to ride.  That is clearly a matter of personal preference.

I just think they don't know what they are missing. To me, walking is the essence of golf, whether it's with a pull/push cart, packing a light bag, or with a caddie.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2006, 10:23:54 AM »
I find it helpful to heed the advice of The Edgar Winter Group:

The mountain is high, the valley is low
And you're confused on which way to go
So I've come here to give you a hand
And lead you into the promised land

So, come on and take a free ride (free ride)
Come on and take it by my side
Come on and take a free ride

All over the country, I've seen it the same
Nobody's winning, at this kind of game
We gotta do better, it's time to begin
You know all the answers
Must come from within

So, come on and take a free ride (free ride)
Come on and take it by my side
Come on and take a free ride

Yea, yea, yea, yea.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 10:28:00 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back