News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan McCord

Wild Horse / Rochelle Ranch
« on: August 08, 2006, 10:31:51 PM »
     I will be playing these two gems in the coming weeks on my journey out to the Bay Area.  I have looked at both websites and am really looking forward to playing them.

Can the treehouse give me some features and attributes that I should be sure to notice while I play each course.  I would also appreciate, if someone could link past discussions of these courses to this thread, as I have been unable to effectively use the search feature. ::)

Thanks!!!
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Mike Nuzzo

Re:Wild Horse / Rochelle Ranch
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 11:36:39 PM »

Rochelle Ranch was designed by Barney's brother...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:42:12 PM »
Jonathan:

If you haven't already, check out RJ Daley's My Home Course feature on Wild Horse here on the GCA website, as well as the GCA site's feature interview with Wild Horse head pro Don Graham. Both are full of insights into the course.

A veteran GCA poster -- Matt Ward? -- has posted before on Rochelle Ranch and knows it well.

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:49:41 PM »
Jonathan,

My advice--and don't take it the wrong way, as it's just my way of doing things--go play the golf courses without reading anything more, tell us what you think or at least summarize in your own mind what you think and then read what others think.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 11:50:17 PM »
As a maintenance freak, I'd be interested in your assesment of how each course plays, with respect to their designs.

If you play WH in the afternoon, it should play better than in early morning. Look for the level of firmness and club down, way down. Plus, the added chances for the wind coming up, should also increase your appreciation for the design qualities. And if that happens, lower your trajectory, way lower. Do not fire at certain pin positions if they are on-line with one of the front noses that guard. Play safely to the middle, or away from the noses, or shape your shot around them. There's a ton more to learn, so enjoy your round and expect to come back someday.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Smoot

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:36:30 AM »
I talked to someone at Rochelle Ranch about 1 month ago.  The course is still suffering turf issues on about 4 holes on the back nine.  This was confirmed two weeks ago when I quickly stopped by the course on the way to Colorado.  

I really enjoyed playing there last summer and this will be a very good, tough course when they get these issues behind them.  I don't know if they are using any outside resources to help them.  I will be taking a quick trip to play later this month (I live about 100 miles to the west - just down the street in Wyoming).

If you play in the afternoon, the Rawlins wind can be quite a treat.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 12:39:38 AM by Dan_Smoot »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 11:56:44 AM »
Jonathan:

Doug is quite right -- you will certainly have your own impressions after playing.

Frankly, I see Rochelle Ranch as being equal to that of Wild Horse BUT I have to say my thought process is more about what Rochelle Ranch CAN BE provided they can overcome the bad soils situation that seems to afflict a few of the holes there.

The Ken Kavanaugh layout is easy to find -- literally RIGHT off I-80 in Rawlins and the price is easily among the best bargains anywhere in the States.

Kavanaugh follows some of what Axland & Proctor did at Wild Horse and there are a number of stellar holes - the risk and reward 4th is grand stuff. You also have a solid array of par-3 holes throughout the round and as Dan mentioned the wind can be a quite a foe when playing in the afternoon. The routing by Kavanaugh is also quite good as you must make constant adjustments from a direction and strategic perspective.

Rochelle Ranch is just under 8,000 yards from the tips but the firm turf and altitude does make a contribution in keeping things in perspective.

The issue for Rochelle Ranch is overcoming the plight of a few holes from a turf perspective. If that should happen then IMHO the upside of the course is indeed considerable.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:19:36 PM »
From what I heard, the Rawlings, Rochelle Ranch is a compelling story and I'd love to finally get out there and try it.  I'll be looking forward to your thoughts, Jonathan.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »
Jonathan, One feature to note is the front right convex bunker on #5. Challenge it and you shall be rewarded.

Dick, When I played with Dan, I asked him about the origins of this bunker. He gave total credit to a local school teacher, whose name escapes me.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

George Pazin

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 12:43:16 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 07:58:25 PM »
Jonathan:

One of the more puzzling aspects is that Rochelle Ranch flies under the radar but once the soil situation is rectified the potential for even greater things is certainly there.

I plan on being in the Wyoming area very shortly and if time permits make a return visit to the layout.

Ken Kavanaugh did a fine job and with just a bit more help on the conditioning side for a few holes and some added promotion from those who have made the journey the course should gain even more justified acclaim.

We shall see ...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back