News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

Golf this Friday in the Lancaster-Philadelphia corridor
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:30:52 AM »
Gang,

Heading up from Virginia to see my college roomate. He and I were going to play Wyncote on Friday but he (to quote REO Speedwagon) heard it from a who heard it from a friend who heard it from another that Wyncote was in pretty poor shape this summer.

I've heard good things about Glen Mills. What else interesting? I saw the thread about Inniscrone reopening. That's one possibility. Ideally something within 45 minutes of Lancaster that leaves me within an hour or so of Philly afterwards as I'll be heading downtown to visit my other college roommate after golf.

I'm a 10 handicap he's an 8 and we don't mind spending the money for a nice course.

Interested to see what you all have to say.

TimT
p.s. - not trolling for invites. Just haven't been up there for a while and am not in tune with the public golf scene.

wsmorrison

Re:Golf this Friday in the Lancaster-Philadelphia corridor
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 11:35:45 AM »
Tim,

I haven't been there in a few years, but Glen Mills was very enjoyable, reasonably priced and they send groups off every 15 minutes.  

The region has been pretty hot and humid for some time now and I don't know how many courses are doing.  I'm sure most superintendents and their staffs are working very hard these days.

Have fun and get yourself a cheesesteak with fried onions while you're in the area!

Bruce Katona

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
My brother and I played Glenns Mills last year.  For a guy in the golf business who actually had to pay greens fees, it was worth the money.  You'll have a great time.

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:57:20 PM »
Glen Mills is a good choice, but I don't think it's within 45 minutes from Lancaster -- if that is a prerequisite.  Closer to Wyncote (and Lancaster) is Pilgrims Oak and Hartefeld National (which accepts weekday tee times) -- but don't tell anyone here your are playing a Tom Fazio course ;).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:58:55 PM by Andy Scanlon »
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 01:19:30 PM »
Inniscrone or maybe even Reading CC. Glen Mills is probably 1 hr +
from Lancaster. They may ea be within 1/2 hr of Lancaster. Pilgrim's
Oak was mentioned, and is closer yet.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 01:29:23 PM »
Wrendale(Hurdzan/Fry) near Hershey is nearby.

www.wrendalegolfclub.com

For that matter, so is Hershey CC.

www.golfhershey.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:43:01 PM »
Tim,
I played Wyncote in June and it was fine.  Yeah - there were some unreparied divots, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

FWIW, I really like Wyncote #9 and #18.  Wyncote also holds a special place becuase it's where I had my one and only hole-in-one (on what is now #2, but used to be#11).

If you're centering yourself in Lancaster, you could shoot down US222 and get to Doak's Beechtree very easily.  If you don't mind $150 green fees, Bulle Rock, located only 4-5 miles from Beechtree, is a treat too.

Trivia - in the year Wyncote was rated #3 best new public course by Golf Digest (1993 or 1994), which was #1?

Sandpines   :-[
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:44:41 PM by Dan Herrmann »

John Foley

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 02:22:45 PM »
Agreeded on Wyncote - Very solid course.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Taylor

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 02:23:59 PM »
Guys,

Thanks for all the ideas. I think we're just gonna go ahead and do Wyncote. My buddy loves it and has been wanting to take me there for awhile. We thought about Wren Dale, but it's too much in the opposite direction of Philadelphia for me to make my evening plans.

I think we'll hit Inniscrone next time I come up. The other thread has my interest piqued. And after that I think I have JR talked into making the drive to Lederach.

I've played both Bulle Rock and Beechtree. In fact, I'm thinking of playing Beechtree on my walk back from Philadephia to Reston on Saturday.

Tim

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 02:31:30 PM »
In fact, I'm thinking of playing Beechtree on my walk back from Philadephia to Reston on Saturday.

Tim

Tim,

At 153.65 miles, I'm not sure there will be enough daylight to squeeze that one in.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 02:32:46 PM by Mike Cirba »

Tim Taylor

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 02:39:50 PM »
You're right. I ought to get a pull cart!

However, we probably will walk Wyncote unless it's torturously hot.

TimT

In fact, I'm thinking of playing Beechtree on my walk back from Philadephia to Reston on Saturday.

Tim

Tim,

At 153.65 miles, I'm not sure there will be enough daylight to squeeze that one in.  ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 04:28:41 PM »
Wyncote's definitely walkable, but keep in mind that there are very few trees (good!), and it can be brutally hot.

Be sure to bring some $1 bills with you - they have honor coolers where you can get a bottle of water for a buck.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 05:08:53 PM »
Heh, might be a change of plans after all. So I make the tee time at Wyncote and my buddy calls me back and says he really wants to play Wren Dale. Heard all sorts of good things, blah, blah, blah.

I'm cool with that as I've only played one other Hurdzan/Frye course (Sand Barrens) whereas our area is littered wtih courses of various Ault/Clarke lineage.

Again, I appreciate all the responses and hope to hit Inniscrone, Glenn Mills, etc. on future Pennsy trips.

TimT

JMorgan

Re:Golf this Friday in the Lancaster-Philadelphia corridor New
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 07:58:11 PM »
jejune
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:42:33 AM by JMorgan »

Tim Taylor

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 09:43:57 PM »
James, I'm playing Beechtree Saturday on the way home. As far as the others, great suggestions, just don't have the hook up at any except maybe LCC. There are a lot interesting, low key private clubs in that area - Stonewall, French, Applebrook - the type of place I'd like to join after my kids are grown and I can afford the luxury of a golf-only club. The only similar facility I can think of in my region is Four Streams. Otherwise, DC is much more traditional country club territory. For now, that whole golf/pool/tennis family-friendly club works better for me.

Redanman, I emailed my buddy links to the Lederach threads. He's as intrigued as I am. We hope to get there in September or October. I wish we would get a course like that here in Northern Virginia.

Tim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back