News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re:Access, money, etiquette and common sense
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2006, 08:58:23 PM »
There was no accusatory tone.

Should there have been?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Pitner

« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2006, 09:08:04 PM »
No, Adam, there shouldn't have been.  I just don't understand the point of the question, from a member of the club, on this particular thread.  I don't think it was unreasonable to infer some sort of accusation there.  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2006, 09:35:25 PM »
Tim,
 There was a set of circumstances that led to me asking you about your access to Ballyneal. The first was when you came on here and asked someone to join you. The second was, your post (that no longer exists) on this thread, about criss-crossing the country asking for access. Maybe it was your attempt at humor, but since the post is gone, I suspect that it wasn't that funny.

Now since you are a Colorado guy, and live within a few hours of the course, it sure would've been great to have you as a member. As a new club, we are seeking out members who appreciate the sophisticated work Tom, and crew, have done. I thought you might be one of them. However, since you have never mentioned the possibility of joining Ballyneal, I questioned you and your motives.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JR Potts

« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2006, 09:47:43 PM »
Great God!  I just got my first (internet) look at Ballyneal.  That place looks great.  

How far is it from Denver?

Tim Pitner

« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2006, 10:33:27 PM »
Adam,

The post that you refer to that I deleted was an attempt at humor.  After it became clear to me that people were misinterpreting it, I deleted it.  It's nothing I was ashamed of--people were simply not reading it in the spirit that I intended.  

As far as the circumstances of my visit to Ballyneal or my interest in membership go, I'm not going to discuss that online.  I wish only the best for Ballyneal and its members.  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 12:43:28 PM by Tim Pitner »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2006, 11:26:11 AM »
Adam,

The post that you refer to that I deleted was an attempt at humor.  After it became clear to me that people were misinterpreting it, I deleted it.  It's nothing I was ashamed of--people were simply not reading it in the spirit that I intended.  

I thought is was funny. Didn't realize people would have misconstrued it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2006, 11:31:46 AM »
Access?  If you feel as though I am pressuring you for a game tell me to p&^%^&ss off.  I'm sure I'll see things your way.  If you invite me tell me what I owe.  

BTW if anybody wants a game at Pennard - don't hesitate to ask me.  It will not offend me in the least.  My mother always says that the Lord helps those who help themself.  I will gladly join you if possible.  If I am unable to join I may be able to negotiate a cheaper green fee.    

Sean's not kidding about Pennard, but it's even better.  Not only did he arrange for our green fees last summer, he even paid them!  ;D :o

And then was suprised when I repaid him four months later!  Thanks again Sean!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2006, 11:35:22 AM »
BTW if anybody wants a game at Pennard - don't hesitate to ask me.  It will not offend me in the least.  My mother always says that the Lord helps those who help themself.  I will gladly join you if possible.  If I am unable to join I may be able to negotiate a cheaper green fee.    

Boy, that sounds great Sean.

So I might be hanging around the Charlotte airport next week. Does anybody know a good way to get to England? I'm not angling for a free ride but just wondered if anyone might happen to be flying across the Atlantic and need a fourth...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2006, 12:02:07 PM »
So I might be hanging around the Charlotte airport next week. Does anybody know a good way to get to England? I'm not angling for a free ride but just wondered if anyone might happen to be flying across the Atlantic and need a fourth...
So Brent, are you hoping that Ernie Els or any other of the touring pros based in England are lurkers here? :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ForkaB

« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »
Hmmmm

I wonder how many people have been disappeared from this site over the past fe

Jim Franklin

« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »
Fortunately I have not had any problems with people from GCA playing my club and not paying. I have met some wonderful people here and look forward to meeting more. My feeling is that I like to share my terrific course with other golfers that I know will appreciate it and would more than likely not have an opportunity to play. Golf is a game for gentlemen, and so far, all that I have met from this site have been nothing but.
Mr Hurricane

PThomas

« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2006, 12:35:14 PM »
Fortunately I have not had any problems with people from GCA playing my club and not paying. I have met some wonderful people here and look forward to meeting more. My feeling is that I like to share my terrific course with other golfers that I know will appreciate it and would more than likely not have an opportunity to play. Golf is a game for gentlemen, and so far, all that I have met from this site have been nothing but.

Jim is just one of the people who have been kind to me, and I would like to thank them once again for their generosity
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John_Cullum

« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2006, 12:41:13 PM »
Jim is just one of the people who have been kind to me, and I would like to thank them once again for their generosity

You're welcome Paul. Can you get me on Merion and Sand Hills?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Adam Clayman

« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2006, 12:59:57 PM »
Joe,
 It wasn't me, but I would suspect some of the real access hounds will soon suffer a similar fate.

It turns our Mr. Pitner was given the benfit of the doubt and is not one of those access hounds, and was reinstated.

Some of you that are making jokes out of this, fail to understand the significant problem this is creating.

I suggest you re-consider the gawfaws and insensitive remarks made.

ForkaB

« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »
Sorry, Adam, but I'll continue to make a joke out of this thread and its pathetic implications and pretensions as long as there are people on this website who give a rusty f**k whether or not people are asking for too much access.  Those of you who are so concerned, which words of the phrase "Sorry, but no." do you not understand?

As for the fact that there is apparently an inner circle on this website who seem to have the authority and to get their jollies by disappearing and then undisappearing contributors for no apparent reason, there is another 3 word phrase you should be aware of, namely:  "Get a life!"

Constructively

Rich, who hopes he won't be the next to be disappea

Kevin Edwards

« Reply #190 on: July 31, 2006, 01:22:08 PM »
Mr. Goodale-

Are you suggesting a 5th column is acting here...????

ForkaB

« Reply #191 on: July 31, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »
No, Kevin ;)

They are well known members of the "manageme

Kevin Edwards

« Reply #192 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:27 PM »
Rich, I am relatively new in these parts and have already sniffed out some quisling members here.. There certainly seems to be an access junta at work on the site.. For the record, I can clean my slate if Augusta opens up...just IM me

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #193 on: July 31, 2006, 01:34:10 PM »
Rich, keep an eye outside your window for one of these:

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

henrye

« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2006, 02:37:47 PM »
Henry E.,

I think your attitude is one with which I have considerable trouble when being asked for for access. I have had quite a few offers such as yours, but playing in Pebble Beach and being offered a reciprocal privilege in some remote village in Southern Indiana is not my idea of a fair trade. Your comment smacks of condescension.

If you need to play, pay, and be happy so doing.

Bob

Bob,

I didn't mean to project a condescending tone.  I was attempting to add to the discussion on etiquette by revealing how I, and my friends conduct ourselves.  We are not strangers looking for 'access'.  We are a group of friends.

Your experience and mine are mutually exclusive.  Your play and pay model just wouldn't be considered, and btw we are happy so doing.

Henry  

Brad Klein

« Reply #195 on: July 31, 2006, 02:41:41 PM »
Sean,

I just played Pennard last Sunday, using that most extraordinary of secretive means of access. I called, set up a tee time, and paid my way on!

Brad

Anthony Butler

« Reply #196 on: July 31, 2006, 02:52:48 PM »
Sean,

I just played Pennard last Sunday, using that most extraordinary of secretive means of access. I called, set up a tee time, and paid my way on!

Brad
I imagine the "this is Brad Klein..." card works a charm when other avenues are closed.

;)
Next!

Brad Klein

« Reply #197 on: July 31, 2006, 02:55:22 PM »
I'm just another American golf traveler when in GB and it worked fine when access was available to anyone else in the public sphere, and I gladly paid at Westward Ho and Tenby as well.

ForkaB

« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2006, 02:56:56 PM »
I'm more of a nobody than Brad Klein, and that ruse worked just fine for me at Swinle

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »
I'm more of a nobody than Brad Klein, and that ruse worked just fine for me at Swinle

Another classic tyop from Ricardo...he was obviously referring to Swine CC, at which he is a charter member.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back