News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

The Brownest Golf Course I have ever seen
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:44:06 PM »
Right now, I am commencing my Open Weekend by watching the Preview show on BBC.

You boys better 'brace yersells'! There is hardly a green spot to be seen on a Fairway or Green.

This is going to be one FIRM, FAST OPEN!!!!! Woohoo!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Voytek Wilczak

Re:The Brownest Golf Course I have ever seen
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 06:52:25 PM »
I am hoping for explosions of dust when the club meets the turf and some crazy bounces!

Wooohoo is right.

I think the Open Championship is my favorite Major.

I hope that there will be some wind to help defend the course from the bombers.

Heck, I wouldn't mind to see 30-mile/hour winds on Sunday...

paul cowley

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:21:28 PM »
what?...is the irrigation broke?....how about the subair?
....could someone please explain to me whats going on over there.... I mean it is 'The Open' right?...duh ::)

how are you going to figure out who is the champion by playing on a dirt dog track?

If this plays out as bad as it sounds, well... maybe we might just want to reshuffle our priorities and make this the 'fifth' Major.

...if you can't keep up, you fall back....comprendo europo?
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:26:02 PM »
I cannot wait to see the players play accross a super firm track.  This could take the ground game to the max.  Tiger put his two-iron back in the bag and took out the 5-wood.  This will be fun to watch.

I'll be up early tomorrow!
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 08:03:39 PM »
I can't wait to see it tomorrow. I am especially interested to see what Sean A. describes as "fairways running into greens imperceptably." I can't remember when or where I've played a course maintained like that.

My concern is that the course could get too hard, unable to support any grass, making it something less than a championship test. However, if rain is coming, that will not be an issue.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 08:04:44 PM »
I perfer my courses green and firm and fast. Why are you guys excited about brown?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 09:05:22 PM »
Brown...dormant or dead grass...it looks positively dusty out there.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:06:09 PM »
Ryan,
  I'm with you. I like to see some definition and color. It is grass after all and it's supposed to be green. I know when I was younger and into coloring books, the sky was always blue, the sun was always yellow and the grass was always green.... ;)

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 09:17:23 PM »
Brown is also beautiful.  Why does grass have to be green?  When I played Delamere Forest this spring the head pro told me to come back in the summer when everything is brown.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 09:24:19 PM »
It makes Sandwich in '03 look verdent.  And it does have a texture and beauty.  

There's nothing more visually dull than the monotone of parkland golf.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 09:24:37 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Paul_Turner

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 09:25:59 PM »
I'd be surprised if it becomes a Shinnecock.  The greens won't be nearly as fast.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 01:06:53 AM »
I walked the course last night with Retief Goosen's caddy who was out checking he pins (all marked with a yellow paint dot) There are a lot of tough ones out there and almost all are four paces from an edge.
It is so dry its amazing but the greens are not quick at all - just hard but the hardest pieces of ground on the whole course are the approaches and the surrounds.
When you take a divot there is literally nothing to put back.

Everyone is saying the scores are going to be low but Colin thinks 70's might be enough.
It is a really difficult course to pick the right club off the tee because driver can get you so close to the green on a lot of holes and many will be tempted into mistakes.
11 is a great example because you can drive so close to the green - and maybe on - but its so narrow where you have to hit.It's tempting because its such a comfortable tee to stand on and drive from because it sets up so well to the eye.

It will be a lot of fun.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 01:17:54 AM »
Perhaps it will spawn an new line of shoes... "Dustjoys"   ;D ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 01:42:08 AM »
Quote from Anthony Nysse
'I'm with you. I like to see some definition and color. It is grass after all and it's supposed to be green. I know when I was younger and into coloring books, the sky was always blue, the sun was always yellow and the grass was always green.... '

Anthony,

Welcome to the original form of golf 'LINKS'. Haven't you heard of golden hay fields, grey skies, a red sun or even a yellow moon or is that a blue moon??? Hmmm.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 03:30:57 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Chris Kane

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 02:26:35 AM »
It has rained overnight in Liverpool, which might take some of the sting out of the playing surfaces.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 02:59:38 AM »
I walked the course last night with Retief Goosen's caddy...

Mike are you working or just over there with Geoff?

What are the chances of you doing a commentary stint for the BBC? Surely Ken can get you on in the afternoon with Grades and Sam?

Last year the international feed was basically just Alex Hay and that Doogie guy. They needed you!

James Bennett

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 03:07:30 AM »
Mark Guiniven

Lets hope Clayts gets on the commentary that we get to hear down under.  I understand he is writing articles whilst he's in the old dart.  I'd like to know which paper, so I can 'link' across to them.  I doubt his work will make my local, the Adelaide Advertiser. :P

Tony Muldoon advised that the BBC is providing live streaming of the golf on bbc.co.uk.  You might get a better commentary there. 8)

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Sean Walsh

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 03:26:50 AM »
James,

He writes for The Age in Melbourne.

Steve Okula

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 04:08:29 AM »
 It was fantastic to see fairways running into greens imperceptably.  

How do they decide where it's legal to mark a golf ball?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

James Bennett

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 04:49:44 AM »
damn

the BBC broadband coverage is only available in the UK! ::)

I think some people will be p'd off (Huckaby can probably get his PC set up to make the BBC think he is in the UK, so he will be alright).

I guess I'll watch our Foxtel coverage, despite the commentators.  Glorious stuff.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 05:04:08 AM »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 05:14:06 AM »
damn

the BBC broadband coverage is only available in the UK! ::)

I think some people will be p'd off (Huckaby can probably get his PC set up to make the BBC think he is in the UK, so he will be alright).

I guess I'll watch our Foxtel coverage, despite the commentators.  Glorious stuff.

James B

You'll probably find a couple of channels who broadcasts the Open in TVU Player. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Internet-Radio-TV-Player/TVUPlayer.shtml

Philip Gawith

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 07:26:24 AM »
There is no chance of a Shinnecock repeat at Hoylake - the greens do not have enough slope. Only the three new ones (1,2  and 5) have more contour.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 08:42:24 AM »
It is playing very easy, thus far. Scoring everywhere. Be interesting if the wind picks up and whacks the afternoon crowd. Would that be 'fair'?

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 08:48:17 AM »
BTW, if this is the 'brownest' you have seen, you clearly have never played zoysia fairways in Winter.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back