News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Putting. Is there hope?
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:06:43 AM »
Another thread reminded me of this very worst aspect of my 'game'. I do not seem to have ANY feel for speed. Practicing does not seem to improve it much. Around 40 putts per round is common. Sad, huh?

When I am putting, I feel like I am doomed! I have been told that confidence is a large aspect to putting, but three [or four] putting hardly inspires that confidence. It is not coming up short, or putting way past, it is both! I just cannot seem to 'feel' the natural green speed.

How should I practice to get some of this 'feel'?

Should I be allowed to have a 'designated putter', like baseball. Why should I be expected to 'play every position'? Whose idea was it that a golf hole should end with the ball actually IN the hole, anyway? Why not within 5 ft, eh? Obviously, what I need is a generous playing partner with a nice 'gimmee' range.

Help!

Doug

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Putting. Is there hope?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:16:32 AM »
I am reminded of the story of a touring pro some years ago who decided to spend the off season improving his putting. He spent every day on the practice green with his guru. He never played or practiced anything else. In his first tour event of the year he 4 putted the first green and was cooked.

I'm thinking of lessons with Stan Utley but my problem seems to be misreads.

Was it Ben Hogan who said that putting isn't golf and should only count for 1/2 stroke?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »
Steve,

Gene Sarazen was one who advocated either that or enlarging the hole.  I believe they tried a larger hole at one event back in the 30s or 40s.  The same good putters still were the best and the others still sucked, just from a little further away.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:26:51 AM »
If your putting stroke doesn't follow pretty much the same path each time, you will never develop any feel for distance.

If you don't hit the ball with the same spot on the clubface every time (preferably the center), you will never develop any feel for distance.

And here's the key point. If you don't set up to the ball exactly the same every time then you'll probably not make the same stroke and you'll probably not hit the same spot every time so you will never develop a feel for distance (plus your alignment will be off).

Hitting the ball with the correct force will (eventually) come naturally to almost anyone if they will set up in a consistent way and allow their arms and hands to relax while making the stroke. So maybe you could consider a lesson with a competent teacher to evaluate your setup and stroke. It's just a matter of finding a setup that is comfortable and then repeating that same setup every time (which you can groove by practicing in front of a mirror at home). Once you have that working consistently then just go practice hitting the ball various distances, for hours if necessary. But don't practice distance drills until you're sure you can make the same stroke twice in a row, otherwise you'll be chasing your tail.

If I'm putting terribly with no distance control, it always (and I mean every time) is one of two things. Either I'm not setting up with my eyes above the ball as usual or I'm trying too hard to make the putt and as a result gripping the club until my knuckles turn white and jabbing at it instead of just making a normal stroke.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:29:20 AM »
Doug,

I am like you, but went to a Pelz school (one of many available) and recently got a putting training device from Canada (also similar to others with line up aids) I was on the putting green at Colbert Hills and making everything from 10 feet and in, and 90% of 20 footers with that thing guiding me.
While I didn't do quite as well going out on the course, I did break 80 on a tough course, in part thanks to putting.

Short version: It takes some lessons and work, but you can improve your putting.  

RE:Feel, Pelz and others (even Tiger Woods paces off his putts) recommend knowing your distance per inch of backswing. For me, its about one putter width back for every 3 feet with an even swing.  Of course, you have to adjust for late in the day, up hill and down hill putts, etc.

Short version: Try to take feel out of the equation. Go with mechanics!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 10:34:21 AM »
"Putt Like the Pros" by Dave Pelz.

Read it and do what he says. You will significantly improve.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 10:42:54 AM »
For a very different perspective on putting see Stan Utley's new book. I forget the title, but it just came out.

Bob

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 10:54:58 AM »
One of Pelz reading tenants is that putts break 2X to 3X what the average golfer reads. Try that just to start.

And, while I have never read Dave Stocktons putting book (other than what I can finish in a couch with coffee at B and N) I have played golf with him twice and got some great tips.

The two I remember is to pose at the end of a putt - which encourages a strong accelerating stroke (Pelz says the same) and that there is no such thing as an "inside lip" read.  

When we plumb bob or whatever, we think of the center of the hole. In reality, a breaking ball hits just to the high side of center (about a 1/4") and you can add almost half a ball width (3/4") and just under 2" of cup width to work with where the ball will fall on the side lip.

Basically, if you read right lip, you can aim it 3" outside and still make it! At least you should aim 1.5" outside in case of push, but aiming on the lip itself makes for too many misses.

That's Daves story and he is sticking to it, but it did seem to work.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jim Johnson

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 11:01:37 AM »
Doug,

Try the Putting Arc...
http://www.theputtingarc.com

This might be what Jeff refers to above.

The website explains in detail, so I won't go into any long-winded explanation, other than to say that their concept involves a putting stroke that, while it's still a basic pendulum motion, is not "straight back and staright through". This thing does work. I have one, have used it numerous times, and sooner or later something clicks in my mind, I use that memory recall out on the course, and it seems to really help.

Speed is another matter. But hey, if your direction is true, and constant, I guess that's half the battle.

Good luck amigo.

JJ

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 11:24:30 AM »
I struggle with lag putts to some extent also.  Here are a few ideas:

1.  I recently saw a suggestion that you hit 20 lag putts using one ball as a part of your warmup.  I've been trying that lately.

2.  A Pelz 1 day short game school definitely helped me.  If you go that route, you have to ignore the putting arc stuff.  I have no idea what method is better but you cannot do both.  

3.  I have had more success recently by forgetting about speed and just visualizing the putt and focusing on starting the ball on line - allowing my instincts to control speed.

4.  I switched from a Ping Answer putter I had used for 12 years to one of the new two ball type putters.  I used to feel like I pinched long putts which resulted in them going inconsistent distances.  I do think the ball rolls better with the newer putters.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
Read Bob Rotella's "Putting Out Of Your Mind".

It will change your life.

~Matt

Dave Collard

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 01:00:27 PM »

It is not coming up short, or putting way past, it is both! I just cannot seem to 'feel' the natural green speed.

How should I practice to get some of this 'feel'?

Doug

If you give your opponent a putt after he lags it close,
and you whack the ball back to him where he stands near
the fringe.... you probably do that one-handed without
thinking and get the ball approximately to his feet.

Practice lag putting with just one hand, pretending that
you are just doing the above.  Then, on the course,
take a practice swing or two with just the one hand,
also pretending you are just hitting a ball to your buddy...
then step up to the ball and hit it with the same weight.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 01:13:18 PM »
I am not sure of the stats but I would hazard a guess that 85% or more of golfers are right handed.

I hear all sorts of theories of left hand low, left hand control etc., but I would pose one question. If you are right handed and was asked to toss a penny as near to a wall, eight to ten feet away, (it would cost you considerable change if you lost the bet) would you toss it backhanded with your left hand? I think not.

When you come to think of it, putting is quite the easiest part of the game. The Champion Putter in Australia at one time was a very aged grandmother.

Bob

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 01:30:56 PM »
I hear all sorts of theories of left hand low, left hand control etc., but I would pose one question. If you are right handed and was asked to toss a penny as near to a wall, eight to ten feet away, (it would cost you considerable change if you lost the bet) would you toss it backhanded with your left hand? I think not.

Bob --

I putt left-hand-low -- but the stroke is ENTIRELY a right-hand stroke. All the feel and all the power come from the right hand. The left is merely along for the ride, holding on to the grip as though it were a very young and fragile bird.

If I could learn to READ putts, I'd make a lot of them -- because most days, it's a very good stroke that sends the ball out smartly on the wrong line.

Dan

P.S. Unlike Jeff Brauer (whose putting, I can attest, has considerably improved from the first time I played with him to the most recent), I was going to suggest forgetting mechanics and going entirely with feel! All right-hand feel, of course.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 01:39:39 PM »
Dan,

Thanks for the input.

Even with an experienced caddie who knows every break on the course, I still see players guilty of the one constant sin of poor putting, the deceleration of the putter especially on left to right breaking putts.

Bob

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 02:34:13 PM »
Davis Love III had the same problem when he was young. His dad took him to Harvey Pennick. Harvey knew he admired Michael Jordan (or was friends with). He asked Davis if Michael had time to think about getting the basketball to the hole. He asked him if he didn't, then how did the ball end up going the right distance all the time. In others words, DON'T THINK! Look at the hole (or target), look at the ball, make the stroke. My addendum would be to continue looking at the ball even though it is not there anymore. Doing so seems to give me even more accurate distance control.

I had the same problem. After reading Harvey, I solved my problem. The basketball analogy was particularly apt for me.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 02:38:39 PM »
As to your practice question, I drop three balls in a line towards a hole on the putting green. They are equal spaced from about 10-15 feet out to the edge of the putting surface. Then I putt each one in turn trying to get them the right distance without worrying about the line. However, it is amazing how often you sink the longest one after seeing the break on the first two.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve_Roths

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 02:58:52 PM »
Two things have helped me hugely over the years.  

First, you should copy what Duval and Norman both do.  They never move until the ball hits the hole.  Watch them any time and they never move.

Second, always swing the same distance.  Meaning if you take the putter back three inches then follow through three inches.  

The second one always helps me when I am starting to miss putts.  Putting has always been my strongest part of the game and I don't know if these things above are the cause of it or just more of keeping my mind from wandering.  But, I have many times one putted every green on one of the nines.  Including seven putts in nine holes at the Medalist.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 03:13:45 PM »
RE:Feel, Pelz and others (even Tiger Woods paces off his putts) recommend knowing your distance per inch of backswing. For me, its about one putter width back for every 3 feet with an even swing.  Of course, you have to adjust for late in the day, up hill and down hill putts, etc.

Jeff,

I know you are quoting Pelz but I must apologize for being blunt. This is the single most ignorant and silly piece of golf advice I've ever seen. Sorry, but I can't think of any way to say it more politely.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 03:17:13 PM »

And to elaborate on Mr. Huntley's point, would you pace off the distance to your wall and say "I need to take my hand back 1.5 inches for every foot of the toss"? Don't be daft, of course not. The object is to toss or roll the ball to a target and your eyes, brain and body are completely sufficient for the task without having to reduce it to a mathmatical calculation first.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 04:27:53 PM »
Aw come on now Brent. Everyone knows MJ used to carry a PDA to calculate trajectory before every shot.
 ;D

John Keenan

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 05:47:27 PM »
It should also be noted that great chipping certainly helps putting.

If you chip shots are all within 3-5 feet one putts gets a lot easier. Mine certainly are not but it will improve putts per round as you no longer need to drain those pesky 6-9 foot second putts after your 20-30 foot lag!
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 05:54:59 PM »
Re: Good chipping helping your putting

In particular, if I can get my chip shots and long first putts to the hole Im a much better putter than someone who always leaves them 3, 4, 5 feet short. The few really, really good short-game days I've had in my life were always rounds where I got the ball to the hole every time and my only 4-footers were 4-foot comebackers. A comeback putt of that length is much easier than the same length putt from short of the hole.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »
Another vote here for the "see it, feel it, trust it" method.

I use a drill/contest when teaching putting to juniors, who seem to have a particularly difficult time with distance when they start it (they usually just hammer at the hole with an all-or-nothing mentality).  I used this very drill today and it seemed to work particularly well.  Basically, see how close you can get to the hole without going in.  For kids, that seems to completely change their mindset and suddenly the all-or-nothing approach is gone.

I've used some of the mechanical ideas put forth here before (adjust stroke length to adapt to putt length but always keep the same swing speed), but I putt best when I forget all that nonsense and just think about rolling the ball in.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 06:21:23 PM »
Brian - COOL!

My son and I are preparing for our first parent-junior tourney, it's alternate shot and he's 8 and my nerves can't handle too many must-make putts.  So the other day we were practicing putting, and well... it occurred to me that distance control was his main problem, and yep - he just hammered all putts at the whole most definitely with an all or nothing mentality.  If it went in, great, but if not... well Daddy had a lot of missable putts coming back.

SO... I did with him exactly what you suggest here, and it worked VERY well!  I just told him he had to get the speed right and I didn't want it to go in.  I want him to barely miss and leave it in a circle 18 inches around the hole, preferably in the part a little past the hole.  He didn't get to move on to another hole until he did this three times in a row... It took awhile and I thought I was becoming Daddy dearest, but it worked... all seems to be well...

I knew I should have been a golf pro.

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back