News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Indianwood
« on: July 17, 2006, 10:53:40 PM »
What are the other 'best courses' around Indianwood?

???
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jfaspen

Re:Indianwood
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:40:08 AM »
You left out:

Pine Knob
Oakland University's 2 courses Katke Cousins & R&S Sharf

Indianwood is a great place though.  I forsee joining it sometime in the next 5 years.

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:58:58 AM »
They have a Dixie Highway in Detroit?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tom Scupholm III

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 08:32:20 AM »
In the Oxford area there is Devils Ridge, Copper Hills and Boulder Pointe all public and withind 15 minutes of Indainwood. The Private clubs really close are Paint Creek, Metomora CC and Oakhurst CC. I would skip Bald Mountain (Reid designed) and Oxford Hills.  Up in the Flint area you have Atlas Valley and Flint Golf Club, plus Warwick Hills.  If you hit Google maps for Lake Orion, you can see all your options.

David Wigler

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:29:41 AM »
OK, here's the deal.  This weekend, I'm heading up to my wife's brother's house which is somewhere southeast of Flint in the northwest suburbs of Detroit for the weekend.  I have maybe enough time to sneak in one round, probably either really early or really late in the day.  What should I try to play?  I don't know squat about this area....

Thanks for the phone call.  FU.  Just for that, I reccomend Devil's Ridge.  You'll love it.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

David Wigler

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
Paul,

Indianwood has two tracks that are both very different but worth seeing.  The only other course of note to see within 10 miles is Wyndgate.  It has 36 holes.  Make sure you see the one with the 10 miles of inlaid brick cart paths.  It is incredibly scenic and a great lesson in how to spend money on all of the wrong things.  It also has the nicest clubhouse in all of Michigan.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

kwl

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:47:18 PM »
indianwood old is a great golf course. nothing mentioned compares. nothing. don't bbother with the new.

other interesting courses in the detroit area include oakland hills, franklin hills, detroit golf club (the south is sporty and brad klein gave it the danny devito award a few years back),and cc of detroit, though not necessarily in that order.

in short. one course to play...indianwood old. no question.

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:41:01 PM »
So it sounds like Indianwood Old, and then New, and possibly the other closest courses (worth seeing) are:
Shepard's Hollow and Oakland - Sharf

how far apart are these four courses?

(for the record, I've played Oakland Hills, Franklin Hills, Detroit GC, CC of Detroit, Orchards, and Plum Hollow, so I'm trying to hit the 'best of the rest.')
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Will E

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 09:19:35 PM »
Paul,
If you haven't seen Franklin post Prichard's work you MUST get back and check it out. Otherwise I'd probably just stay at Indianwood Old. If you have to see something else I'd head east to RTJ junior's Orchards.

Jfaspen

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:13:22 PM »
Oakland Katke is a better course than Oakland Sharf (imho).

Paul Richards

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 06:22:18 AM »
Jeff

So Oakland has two courses now that are worth playing?

:)

Jfaspen

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 07:20:47 AM »
Jeff

So Oakland has two courses now that are worth playing?

Very much so.

The katke course has been there for over 25 years.  (I worked there for 4 years during HS and College).  It has more of a classic feel to it and has some great holes.  I think what I like the most (thinking back) is the variance found in the 5-pars.

7 plays downhill off the tee but the 3rd shot is nearly blind up a steep hill.

9 plays straight away at almost 600 yards going uphill at the green

10 is also straight, but provides a great birdie (or eagle) opportunity as it plays less than 500 and a bit downhill

15 plays as a long dog-leg to the left with water to contend with on the second shot.

It's a solid golf course without any housing (other than the mansion).

The sharf course is nice, I feel it is a bit inconsistent, but does have some great holes with some awesome views (5+6 come to mind).

Jeff

Paul Richards

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 09:10:42 PM »
Indianwood Old is the REAL deal.

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 09:16:42 PM »
Indianwood Old is brilliant. Indianwood New is a total nightmare. I can't think of a more glaring contrast of Classic and Modern. Wait a minute, I can -- the two courses at Baltimore CC.

I'd suggest The Orchards in Washington Township, an RTJ-Jr. layout from 1994 that has a lot of fescue rough and a wispy back nine -- much more open than the front nine.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:17:07 PM by Brad Klein »

Paul Richards

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 09:58:02 PM »
Someone needs to tell me how this awesome course is rated #79 on Golfweek's Classical list, yet, somehow, manages to just be the  25th best course in Michigan, according to the latest Golf Digest list??????

:-[ :-[ ::) ??? :o :o :o :o :'(

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 10:23:52 PM »
Paul, it is because you are on the wrong rating panel.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Richards

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 10:25:16 PM »

Tommy

Thanks for the explanation.

That makes sense more than anything else I could think of.

Brad Klein

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 10:39:43 PM »
Paul, don't forget. Golf Digest has Rich Harvest Farm in the top-50 nationally whereas Golfweek ranks it 10th in Illinois. So now which panel do you really trust? Believe me (but find out for yourself). Indianwood-Old is a gem.

Ari Techner

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 03:48:09 AM »
I would agree that Oakland Katke is much better than Oakland Sharf.  Also agree that is you havent been to Franklin Hills since RP "renovated" the course it is worth a return trip.  

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 07:09:20 AM »
I just found an old image the other night of Indianwood (Old) and it look pretty dramatic. I'll post it as soon as I can.

Paul Richards

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 07:30:27 AM »
I don't mean to start another list bashing thread, but Indianwood Old is something very, very special.

Tommy, would love to see the old photo.

Also, does anyone have the architecture history of this gem?

That is, after Wilfred Reid designed it?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:31:15 AM by Paul Richards »

plabatt

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »
Paul

Art Hills did some touching up getting the course ready to host the Womens Open a few years ago.  I think, not totally sure, most of his work was with bunkering.

Peter

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 01:08:37 PM »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:14:33 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

T_MacWood

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 10:37:53 PM »
Great photos Tommy.

My impression when I played Indianwood was that this was a very well preserved design, and I still think it is well preserved, but based on these photos it could probably use a touch here and there that might bring it even more alive. Wilfred Reid is an architect I'd like to know more about. Indianwood has a very interesting clubhouse as well which adds to the flavor IMO.

Paul Richards

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006, 11:32:57 AM »
Great pics, Tom!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back