News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Fierce Creatures
« on: July 17, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »
Some really Fierce Creatures.

Some of my favorite ones ready swoop down and eat you with these big claws and fangs ready to attack and chew you up....

The Maiden--Sandwich As it used to be. This one required a shot over this massive dune that still exists today, and you wonder why these people don't have the good sense to at least play it once in a great while. More proof that Golf has lost some of it's soul. BRING BACK THE BLIND ONE-SHOTTER!

THE SANDY PARLOUR--DEALThis is actually two seperate images taken at different times. Unbelievably, the two almost perfectly matched together with only some Photoshop touch-up. Much of the sand was overgrown with dune grasses at this time, but the folowing image shows that the hole had many suits...

The Cader--Aberdovey You can almost feel Darwin's spirit in this image....

Sands Over The Sahara--Sandwich

Adam_F_Collins

Re:Fierce Creatures
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 05:53:03 PM »
Where's the shot definition!!?? Where's the FRAMING!? My eye wanders all over the place! I can't focus!! - I don't know where to go; what to hit!??! God SAVE US - It's not FAIR!!

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:59:56 AM »
Golf architecture at its primeval best...find the most awesome and intimidating sand hill and design a hole to drive over it.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 08:55:50 AM »
These types of holes were both legendary and reputable.

--On the other side of the Cader, you had a deep nasty sleepered pit you had to clear. It made you think about it on the tee.

--On the Maiden, well, it was a hole that got into your face. all of that stuff going on in the face. The rows of sleepers and sand everywhere.  

--On the Sandy Parlour, it was a hole that made you really concentrate on what part of the hill you had to get over, as you couldn't fly on to the fall-away green because you would end-up in one of the series of nasty pits and deep rough beyond it. You had to figure out just how you were going to use the countering slopes on the back side of the dune, which more or less guided you in. Call it an Ultimate Redan if you will. Not by nature of what we se as a Redan, but it was probably by definition one of the most heavily defended greens ever seen in the Sport.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 12:14:53 PM »
Great pics Tommy.
Am I right in thinking the Maiden Sandwich essentially still uses the same green (today’s 6th)?  I'll get a picture next time I'm in the area.
Princes, known as the Himalayas.

Today they can still be seen on the Himalayas 8th (as witnessed by James Bennett)

Will update after one more visit.
But where's the great bunker at Bembridge, can't show my pics until you unearth that one?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 12:31:59 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 11:24:41 PM »
Sad to see those impressive bunkers at Princes inactive - the original course was one of the truly historic designs. Is the Cader still around?

Some other famous lost holes and impressive lost hazards - Jacob's Ladder at Woolacombe, The Widow at Hayling, the Soup Bowl at Rye and the Dowie & the Dun at Hoylake. Darwin was very unhappy when the Dowie and the Dunn were redesigned or replaced (by Colt I believe).

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 02:14:37 AM »
Tom, I was going to post Soup Bowl next.

The Cader is in fact stil around, just not nearly the hole it once was. Gone is the green that was more or less locatedin a sea of sand and the bunker that was hidden just in the slack the other side of the dune is now all grassed in I'm told. It might have even been shaped away. Oh, and the dune itself is about 2/3rds the height it once was.

I'll post Jacob's Ladder here in a second. Who knows what happend to it...

Tony, The destruction of Princes is simply a travesty.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 02:16:05 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 03:08:11 AM »
Seeking out the Himalayas was one of the unexpected joys of my visit, thanks Tony. 8)

The only similar experience I have had here in Oz is imagining the old lines of play at Royal Adelaide pre Mackenzie (eg #7 green), plus seeing the odd disused tee/green site at various courses.

If these unbelievable holes were at my club, I fear that golf carts would become bogged in the sandhills as some players drove to their ball.  Or, if they didn't, that some players would find it physically impossible to return to their golf cart having traversed across to their ball.  

The modern cartball player has added to the interpretation of Mackenzies guiding principles.  The one about 'eliminating the nuisance of looking for balls in long grass' has become 'eliminating the nuisance of not being able to drive up alongside one's ball anywhere on the course', especially if the GPS is cart-mounted! ::)  I guess that is also part of the 'attraction' of the modern water hazard - cart access is not an issue (although under the old principle the ball lost in water was an issue).

James B
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 03:57:25 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 03:14:27 AM »

Westward Ho!

See if you can guess where the next two courses might be.

T_MacWood

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 06:20:58 AM »
Tommy
I don't know where those last two are but I'll guess Portrush and Burnham & Berrow.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 08:28:07 AM »
Guesses

Chiberta (male caddy in a dress?)

Hunstanton
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 08:31:53 AM »
I've heard that the old feathery was much harder to get airborne. Could this be part of the reason that such hazards were more popular then? Could it be that golfers were then just as interested in seeing the ball fly as in seeing it land?

If that were the case, then hitting the ball over high objects would be a rarer feat and more of a thrill than it is today...

Thoughts?

T_MacWood

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 08:55:06 AM »
Adam
I think that is true, that they enjoyed the thrill of seeing the ball fly over those awesome hazards. Darwin remarked that the old layer-outers of links courses - when confronted by a big sandhill - had one response....they automatically wanted to play over it or create a hole that had to drive over it. He said they often took it too far, but the scientific or modern architects took it too far the other way, eliminating all blind shots and elimated what could be a great thrill if done in moderation, maybe once or twice a round. Most these holes Tommy pictured are long gone or redesigned, and most of that was done in teens, twenties and thirties. Personally I think these holes (or holes like them) would be thrilling today, perhaps not as demanding as before, but still fun.

And going back to the old days and the mentality of getting the ball airbourn and seeing the ball fly over these huge sandhills. If the airbourn shot over a sandhill was nirvana for them the antithesis was the topped drive, and in their eyes it could not go unpunished. There didn't seem to be much sympathy for the hack in the early years.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 10:54:45 AM »
Thos two images posted are both of, The Sandy Parlour hilighting just how many different suits the hole had. I think there were times that they let the beach and dune grasses flourish and other times they exposed the sand. There were other times that the sleepers were stright in line and other times all bent and crooked like in this Competition Results image. When seeing it for the first time, it's actually apretty small image and I thought it was spectators on top of the hill. It wasn't until later, that I scanned it, trying to get a closer look at which hole that it was that I saw it was The Sandy Parlour.

I agree, the thrill of hitting over this type of a hazard was something else. it also probably was quite penal and time consuming for a Brit who wanted to get done and get out of the cold during one of those two hour rounds!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back