News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Boxing The Compass
« on: July 11, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »
Frequently, the critique of a golf course will involve an analysis of the orientation of the one-shot holes.   Is this really a big whup?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

john_stiles

Re:Boxing The Compass
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:07:49 AM »
There is some whup involved here.

Boxing the compass should consider the wind rose, and the sun rises and sets.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:42:02 AM »
Played a course in Dayton Oh once [won't say which] early in the morning, and I swear, it seemed like they had 16 holes going directly east. Kept having to tee directly into the sun, and finding the ball after that was excruciating [not to mention getting the orange spots out of my eyes].

Yes, direction can certainly play a significant part.

Doug

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:10:22 PM »
I understand the theory (and many apply it to par 5 holes and even classifications of Par 4's - long against and with the wind, for example) but don't know if it would knock a course down in my eyes. Its one way to make the shot on the par 3's play differently, but not the only way.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 12:21:11 PM »
It is just one of those things whereby critics can prove they know more than the architect ... i.e. "It's a great course but three of the par-3's play in the same direction."

I have seen courses where they hit all four directions, but varied the yardages of the par-3's so the long par-3 played downwind and the shorter par-3 played into the wind, so the holes all played the same!

On a 1-10 scale of importance, this is about a 3 for me -- possibly as much as a 5 if you're in a windy place.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 12:39:06 PM »
Tom,

I've noticed that you're big on 1 to 10 scales.  

john_stiles

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 05:14:02 PM »
Playing the 3s where some aspects are 'the same' may be  bothersome, whether that is with the same wind,  all at the same club because of yardage & wind,  all downhill, etc.

All in the same direction is not troublesome on its own.

If every par 3 (and you had four par 3s) was played with the same wind, that might be troublesome even though different clubs were required.  

But then again that might not be bothersome at a resort course, but wouldn't you hate to have a oft played course where every par 3 was played with the 'same' wind.  Ugh !

Variety, in all aspects, helps sustain interest.

Don't put all the one shot holes in the same type of box.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back