News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

C&C update
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:18:34 PM »
 Excerpts from Bill Huffman's column in today's East Valley Tribune:

Currently, Coore and Crenshaw have five projects under way, including the second course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club — the Saguaro — on the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation near Fountain Hills. Arguably, the first course at We-Ko-Pa — the Cholla — is Arizona’s most popular haunt, so how do you stand up to the pressure of building the sequel?

“We look at it as an honor,’’ says Crenshaw, who is worthy of his “Gentle Ben’’ moniker. “The other course is so good, and everybody enjoys it so much, you’re not really trying to top it.

“In the end, nature always does the best work, so we just try and work with it. And we’re really lucky here, because there are no constraints, no housing; so you just wed the holes to the land.’’

www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69127
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joel_Stewart

Re:C&C update
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:30:17 PM »
What are the other 4?   I'm not sure if CC of Colorado or the course in Orlando are counted.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:38:48 PM »
Here they are from www.bencrenshaw.com :

The Tribute (construction to begin in late 2005) Bend, Oregon

Colorado Golf Club (under construction, April , 2005) Douglas County, Colorado

We-Ko-Pa (under construction, September 2005) Scottsdale, Arizona

Sugarloaf (18 holes to begin construction, Fall, 2006) Orlando, Florida

Palmetto Bluff (18 holes to begin in mid-2007)
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 12:30:27 AM »
I've recently driven through Ferndale (just N of Montverde) twice to see the site for Sugarloaf Mountain.  I'm VERY interested in this project.  As anyone hears details please let me know.

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 10:00:07 AM »
Is there any word on the un-named Pinehurst project?

Tim Pitner

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »
I just toured the Colorado Golf Club.  They're in the grow-in phase, scheduled for a soft opening this fall, I believe.  The project (course, clubhouse, homes) appears to be first-class all the way around.  

As for the course, the topography appears to be very similar to Castle Pines Golf Club, which shouldn't be surprising because the two aren't very far apart as the crow flies (CGC is due east).  It's a little more open than I expected; there are some stands of pine trees, but it's much more exposed than, say, the non-dunes holes at Bandon Trails.  Given the climate differences between Colorado and Oregon, that's probably not a fair comparison, but I recently played Bandon Trails so that was my reference point.  

The course is designed to be walker-friendly and some of the distances between greens and tees are very short, but I wouldn't call it easily walkable.  Put it this way, if you're inclined to take a cart, you probably won't be tempted to walk CGC.  What bunkering exists now is very distinctive (nothing new for C&C).  There appears to be a good blend of short and long par 4s.  There are some forced carries there that will be problematic for higher handicappers--that's not a feature I normally think of when discussing C&C but I'm not that familiar with their courses.  

It looks like a great addition to the golf scene in greater Denver (and I do mean greater--it's a good ways out of town).  Obviously, it's hard to say where it will fall on the spectrum of C&C courses, but I'm just happy we'll have one in our area.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:38:03 PM by Tim Pitner »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »
Jason:

I'd love to see Bill and Ben do a course near Pinehurst, too.  But the nature of the business is such that there is no point in talking about any new project until it's ready to break ground.

I've talked to people in so many places in the past year and a half that I can't even remember some of them that we might wind up building.  But, some of them get stalled on the way, and then we spend years answering questions like "whatever happened to The Harmony Club?" instead of questions about what we ARE building.  So I just don't talk about them until they're close at hand.  [Plus, it seems like we are always planning a project somewhere that is TOP SECRET and not for publication.]

I look forward to seeing Colorado Golf Club someday, also; but I have no idea when.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back