News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

brad_miller

Jeff mingay's book on Restorations
« on: November 04, 2002, 04:59:32 AM »
Jeff, what is status if I (we) may ask? If it is in process what courses will it feature? TY in advance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Jeff Mingay

Re: Jeff mingay's book on Restorations
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 07:38:47 AM »
Brad,

I originally signed a deal last year to do the book with Sleeping Bear Press. When things "fell apart" recently at SBP, my contract (and Dr. Hurdzan's book) went with their catalogue of Ann Arbor Press turfgrass-related books to John Wiley & Sons. This, and a few other factors, have delayed the project, which was originally scheduled to be released in summer 2003.

I'm still hashing through a plethora of information I have on the subject. So, at this point, it's difficult to say which courses will be featured. However, I do have essays from Brian Silva and Mike DeVries that cover their restorative-based work at Augusta CC and St. Charles CC, respectively. And also additional complimentary essays by Gil Hanse and Rodney Hine, Dave Wilber, Geoff Shackelford, Brad Klein, Dunlop White, Dan Wexler, Bobby Weed and Chris Monti, Jim Nagle, Tony Pioppi, George Bahto, and Gib Papizian. Tom Doak, Jon Jennings, Paul Daley, Ron Prichard, Ron Forse, Jeff Bradley, Dave Axland, and a few others still working on their potential contributions.    

I should have a better perspective on when the book will hit bookshelves in the next few weeks, after a bit more discussion with my new editor at Wiley & Sons.

Thanks for asking about the book. And, again, if anyone has any thoughts on the subject, I'd love to hear from you. Send me a note at jemingay@aol.com

Thanks again to those of you I've already heard from...

brad miller

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 09:20:16 AM »
Jeff, TY, sounds good, might be fun to do a chapter on Tillie restorations, compare and contrast the work, with before and after pics and maybe some old ones thrown in.

Bethpage--Rees
Winged Foot-- Faz
Fenway--  Hanse
SFGC--Doak
QR ???

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 11:44:06 AM »
Interesting idea, Brad... it's similar to one I have. I've thought about comparing the recent work at Bethpage Black with something like Hanse's work at Fenway. And, of course, Augusta National with Augusta CC.

Both Fenway and Augusta CC were essentially "restored" with the club's membership foremost in mind, while recent work on the other two courses is strictly geared toward the (perceived) requirements for professional tournament play. It seems to me, the Augusta comparison boldly illustrates the ever-increasing gap between the world's best golfers and the rest of us. And also that today's game warrants two different types golf courses: one type for club members and another type (see TPC courses) for pro tournaments.  

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 04:14:26 PM »
Jeff:

Looking forward to its publication! ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Sébastien Dhaussy

Re:Jeff mingay's book on Restorations
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:19:17 AM »
Jeff,

I see on Amazon.fr that this book "Fine Art of Classic Golf Course Restoration" can be published in January 2006. Can you confirm ?

Can you give more details on the content ?

Thanks.

"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 08:38:49 AM »
Jeff,

I just tried to email you & it wouldn't go through. Can you repost the email address?

Thanks

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 09:18:56 AM »
Philip,

That's an old email address. You can reach me at jeff@mingaygolf.com

As for the book, it's mostly written. And golf architect Neal Meagher has provided some excellent artwork. However, it won't be released in January 2006.

Frankly, I've never been thrilled that my contract was sold, or given to Wiley & Sons without my consent. The type of books Wiley typically produces - textbook style - simply doesn't mesh with my vision.

This has been an ongoing issue between the new publisher and I, which has unfortunately resulted in delays.  
jeffmingay.com

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 12:55:38 PM »
Jeff,
I'd love to talk with you about your book and your experience so far with Wiley.  Our book on hazards that I co-authored with Forrest Richardson will be published by Wiley.  It just went to press yesterday.  They definitely like a "textbook" style, however, we were able to write ours in a fun and very interesting manner.  Yes there is a lot of information as you would find in a textbook, but it is broken up with several hundred photos, hand drawings, charts and diagrams.  It should appeal to a relatively wide audience.  

Not sure I can help you out with them, but I'd be happy to try.  Drop me a message offline.
Mark

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 01:04:37 PM »
Mark and Jeff,
   I look forward to seeing your efforts. Yours too Wayne!
I just saw Geoff S's latest effort, Lines of Charm, and it looks to be a nice introductory anthology for someone thinking about learning more about the Golden Age archies. Looks like we'll have plenty of reading during the winter this year. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 03:18:40 PM »
Ed,
It will give you something to read over the holidays and get you excited about playing golf when the snow melts.  Come to think of it, we didn't include snow as a possible hazard.  Too late now, it's done   ;D
Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back