News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

An interesting thing happened on the way to ..
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »
the green.

At a course I'm familiar with a green underwent substantive reconstruction.

While the green was out of play an area short of the green was mowed as a temporary green.

Initially, it wasn't very good.

However, as it was cut and acclimated itself to be maintained as a green it got better and better.

To the point where it was one of the best greens on the golf course, with the exception that the sloped part of the green became too challenging as the pace of the green increased to a fairly speedy green.

Drainage was great, the undulations, unseen as a fairway, radiated as a green.

For 80 years the area had been a fairway, and yet, without alterning the grasses or reconstructing the soil, that area became a spectacular green.

In light of that, where drainage appears to be satisfactory and contour reasonable, why would anyone build USGA spec greens ?

redanman

Re:An interesting thing happened on the way to ..
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:53:13 AM »
In light of that, where drainage appears to be satisfactory and contour reasonable, why would anyone build USGA spec greens ?

Awaiting the grass guys, do the new pure cultivars require this?

Interestingly, I always think of #8 at Myopia as basically "Just a mowed piece of grass masquerading as a green" - a lot in common in size, cut and character  with a temp. (Not a bad thing)

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:23:26 PM »
I personally think this USGA green spec thing is overdone. I play most of my golf on sandy soil where you can hardly find a puddle after a gully washer, yet most better courses in Florida build USGA greens. I gather that USGA spec greens get the architect off the hook if the drainage doesn't work out as planned. I posed this question a few months ago and Tom Doak gave a reply, but I can't really remeber what it was.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 01:13:18 PM »
the green.

Patrick:
To keep the USGA in business ;D ;)
Best
Dave

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 01:37:18 PM »
Pat

A lot of Old Tom Morris' greens started out as simple rectangles cut over what he thought would make the best green sites and putting surfaces.  Many of them have morphed over time into some of the finest greens in the game of golf, without any subsquent earth moving.  The 14th at Dornoch (Foxy) for example........

Steve Curry

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 02:06:03 PM »
Pat,

A USGA green (done right) will provide excellent moisture retention as well as drainage and should give the best chance for uniform conditions.  A mowed down area would have sections of different soils that may manifest dry or wet spots.  With good surface drainage a natural surface can perform quite well but may have inconsistencies under more intense conditioning.

Steve

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 02:09:47 PM »
This really reminds me of the Coore & Crenshaw greens I just played at Barton Creek - not that they are like fairway grass, actually really good tifdwarf bermuda, but the greens were not built up in the back, just natural on the slopes.  The drainage was excellent (we played in a light rain twice) and there were some great front to back slopes.  These greens, except for no bent, were quite reminiscent of Oakmont in size and slope.  Not pace though!  :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back