News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jim Thompson

Re:A bit OT: Food and Golf
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2006, 09:12:06 PM »
For those that ever have the chance...

When playing in the Travers City / Petoskey area a trip to Pearl's in Elk Rapids is a great finish to any day.
Jim Thompson

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2006, 12:32:19 AM »
If you can ever swing it, dinners at some of these very private old courses are quite the experience-  last year the standouts for me were Minikahda, Midlothian, but the topper was the formal dining room at Congressional.  We were treated like a president and first lady-  awesome.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2006, 03:02:46 AM »
When  I am in Tampa..

World Woods--then Burns Steakhouse..

In NC..

Pinehurst#2 early Sunday Tee-Time--Then the Pinehurst Brunch--then to Pine Needles--followed by John's BBQ..

ForkaB

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2006, 04:38:25 AM »
The Road Hole Grill at the Old Course Hotel in summertime when the sun doesn;t set until 11pm.  The food is very good (although probably not good enough for the French Laundry Nazis... :'() and the ambience and the views are incomparable.

wsmorrison

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2006, 06:20:43 AM »
Ah yes, Burns Steakhouse and Road Hole Grill.  

How about some restaurant association (tied to a trip I'm taking)

Swinley Forest

Walton Heath

Sunningdale

St. Andrews (any new or out of the way restaurants to recommend--I've been most everywhere in the town)

Royal Aberdeen

Cruden Bay

Nairn

Royal Dornoch

Or these US courses:

Crystal Downs

Prairie Dunes

Cascades (outside the resort, is there anything?)

Chicago GC

Kittansett

TCC, Brookline, Boston Golf or Old Sandwich

Dan Boerger

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2006, 08:48:58 AM »
Wayne - Are you staying in Surrey or London for your Heathland extravaganza? As I suspect the London area posters will tell you, there aren't some good restaurants in the vacininty, there are some great ones. For a culinary adventure like no other, consider the Fat Duck. And in the last 10 years or so since I've been going to London, the pub grub options have really improved. - Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Dan Boerger

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2006, 08:54:48 AM »

BTW, I doubt I'll try Per Se.  $250-500 to eat in a mall is a little steep even though I know the food will be fantastic.

David - Your instincts are spot on. The food there is fantastic. And not a Mall experience like any I'm used to ... an amazing layout (although I question the fireplace) with terrific views. We did a tour of the kitchen afterwards that made our jaw drop (and the most impressed in the group was the one in the retaurant biz).
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

wsmorrison

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »
Thanks, Dan.  We'll be staying in London and venturing out to golfing grounds each day.  Fat Duck it is; I like the name.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2006, 10:05:09 AM »
36 at Merion and then a cocktail served in the shower before food on the 1st tee itself can not be beat.

abroad I found a great affection for The Jigger Pub after TOC and closing it down with the manager and her daughter @ about 4:30 a.m.  Great Caffreys, darts, and company!

David Wigler

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2006, 10:43:22 AM »
Wayne - Great topic coming from the guy who always asks for food recommendations with my golf.  I'll add two:

Golf at Plum Hollow in Southfield followed by dinner at The Lark (The last time Conde Naste Traveler rated restaurants, The Lark in West Bloomfield, MI finished first in the country and it is that good).  They are famous for their Rack of Lamb.  It is the CPC of Rack of Lamb.  Any argument about a rack that is better is senseless, uniformed drivel.

As for a shot from left field, Golf at Southern Highlands, Southshore or Shadow Creek followed by Dinner at Commanders Palace (Which does not count unless you open with a spicy Bloody Mary and close with the Bread Pudding Souffle).  Of course this must be topped off with a hot Craps table anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 10:44:20 AM by David Wigler »
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2006, 10:51:21 AM »
Where to begin, where to begin ;D...

- The first no-brainer I haven't seen mentioned is:
Caledonia round in the morning followed by lunch at Caledonia (surely you fellows who have played the course have had the good sense to enjoy the fare upstairs) followed by afternoon round at Caledonia sounds pretty good to me.  Maybe dinner at Louis's of Pawleys Island would be the fitting capper.
- Round at Tot Hill Farm followed by Speedy's BBQ in the BBQ town of all BBQ towns, Lexington, NC.
- Round at the Governors Club followed by takeout BBQ from ________ Brothers BBQ (the surname escapes me, but the taste of that 'cue won't for a long time).
- Round at any SF course followed by lunch at In-n-Out followed by another round at any SF course followed by dinner at any of literally dozens of great city eateries would suit me pretty well.
- Round at Doral followed by Texas de Brazil (I know it's a chain, but it's great churrascaria).
- Round at Triggs Memorial followed by dinner at Andreas, a splendid little Greek restaurant in downtown Providence.  Of course Providence is a town that is certainly not at a loss for great restaurants.
- I'd bet a round at Bayonne GC followed by dinner at Spain in Newark, NJ would be pretty nice.
- One day this summer I'd love to depart the condo at Pawleys Plantation and head to the course for a ca. 8AM tee time, followed by lunch at Hog Heaven (some of the best Fried Chicken and BBQ south of NC, I think).  Continue south and arrive for a 3:00 time at the Ocean Course at Kiawah.  after that, head home, stopping at any number of fine dining spots in Charleston.  Two, Jestine's and Sermet's Corner come immediately to mind, but if there must be more BBQ, one could definitely hit up the original Sticky Fingers in Mt. Pleasant.  Of course Bull's Bay could be somehow worked into the equation!

- The golf-food day I enjoy most often is a morning round at Pawleys Plantation, followed by lunch at the Palmetto Pub, followed by another round at Pawleys, followed by dinner either at home or in the Pawleys Plantation clubhouse.  No need to even see a car for the entire day!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Gary Daughters

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2006, 11:02:19 AM »

Wayne..

Dornoch .. Sutherland House serves excellent steak and seafood.  I was sent there by a well-informed local and was not disappointed.  For lunch you might try Luigi's.

Aberdeen.. Cannot recommend Udny Arms highly enough.  Reputed to be the originator of the ubiquitous "Sticky Toffee Pudding," something you MUST allow yourself to indulge.

Cruden Bay.. Red House Hotel, not bad.

Within striking distance of Nairn is the wonderful course at Lossiemouth called Moray, which has a stately granite clubhouse with excellent food.  If you can squeeze in Moray, do so by all means, just be sure to play on a weekend.

Gary
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

peter_p

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2006, 11:21:02 AM »
Wayne,
   One year's trip I when writing to club secretaries I mentioned how much I enjoyed the mid-day meals at the club and how much it added to the overall experience.
   I was set up with club ex-presidents, managers, caterers and had a great time and even brought into medal tournaments.

redanman

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »
Chicago Golf Club followed by Greek Town

All three courses at Paiute followed by In-N-Out or Chipotle Grill with double Barbacoa

I want to know what's wrong with Mayacama and Dinner at Mayacama?

Not name-dropping enough.

French Laundry?

One Mega-Chef has lived all the way up to his hype so far in my lifetime: Gerard Boyer at Boyer-les-Crayeres. Add what seems like 40 pages of Champagnes on the wine list ...

He's since retired.  :'(

The rest do well-fit into the four definitions of "Hype" as previously and properly defined on the Pat Mucci Sebonack thread.

David Kelly

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2006, 12:47:16 PM »

How was your dinner at Mayacama?

And what didn't you like at French Laundry?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:50:11 PM by David Kelly »
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2006, 01:02:23 PM »
A great day for me a year ago was golf at Cypress Point, drinks at Spanish Bay looking out at the golf course and sunset, followed by dinner in the Tap Room at Pebble Beach.  It doesn't get much better than that.   8)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2006, 01:17:53 PM »
Chef Thomas Keller is the Bill Coore of Food. He is in another stratosphere in regards to his contemporaries.

Bouchon in both Yountville and Las Vegas is one of my favorites. French Laundry, well, you do the math. I should be so ever fortunate to visit there, let alone get a reservation!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 01:20:09 PM by Thomas Naccarato »

redanman

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2006, 01:34:38 PM »
Thomas Keller

He routes you around the restaurant to your table better than anyone else then I assume the 18 dishes are seamless in their positions and progressions?

Are there three, four or five sets of tees-fixe?

Do the (short) butter knives all point to the four directions of the compass at each table?

Surely:
He must have ragged edges on the side plates?

I assume that he buries snakes and eggs in the salad greens?

The tablecloths are rumpled?

Something else, a je-ne-sais-quoi??

:-[  I could not resist.

Why are you snubbing Doak of all people? Are you exhibiting bias?  

Are you sure that Mr. Keller is not the Hanse? Moran? Brauer? Steele? of cuisine?

There are no good chefs in Australia? France? Allemagne?  London?

I assume that you've therefore tried them all?  All those chefs, I mean.  

Great food has to cost $400?

Also,
Lastly, I need to know:  Is he vomiting in that picture, Mr Keller?

:)

Thanks for the opportunity to ponder ...

David Kelly

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »
Thomas Keller

He routes you around the restaurant to your table better than anyone else then I assume the 18 dishes are seamless in their positions and progressions?

Are there three, four or five sets of tees-fixe?

Do the (short) butter knives all point to the four directions of the compass at each table?

Surely:
He must have ragged edges on the side plates?

I assume that he buries snakes and eggs in the salad greens?

The tablecloths are rumpled?

Something else, a je-ne-sais-quoi??

:-[  I could not resist.

Why are you snubbing Doak of all people? Are you exhibiting bias?  

Are you sure that Mr. Keller is not the Hanse? Moran? Brauer? Steele? of cuisine?

There are no good chefs in Australia? France? Allemagne?  London?

I assume that you've therefore tried them all?  All those chefs, I mean.  

Great food has to cost $400?

Also,
Lastly, I need to know:  Is he vomiting in that picture, Mr Keller?

:)

Thanks for the opportunity to ponder ...

So basically you've never been there.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2006, 02:17:53 PM »
Bill,
Here is a perfect opportunity for me to point out when Matt Ward, as arrogant and pompus as he maybe, is dead on balls accurate right. It's all about tasting the food first before critiquing it. I mean, how many times have you been to French Laundry, Bouchon? What about Per Se in NYC?

Or is it simply because you detest the critical praise that he has recieved by many knowledgable and respected food critics that actually do know food better then most?

I do know that at Bouchon, there is one item on the menu I just have each and everytime I go there: Steak Frittes. As simple and un-gourmet as it maybe to you, I can tell you that it is without doubt--my last meal if I'm on Death Row. I don't know if it's because of the they way the pomme frittes are fried in goose fat or the way he manages to saute' the onions and coat them on that perfect cut of top sirloin, but I can ultimately describe it, revel in it that it is one of my personal favorites. So much that I will order it everytime and forgo the treat of experiencing so many of his other wonderful looking dishes.

Can you describe Keller's cooking that allows you to step on it so vehemently? In other words, answer David Kelly's question....

Right now, I know for fact that you can't tell the differences between the par 5, 2nd and the par 5, 11th at Friar's Head, and that tells me a lot.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »
I will go with the cheeseburger at Olympic for my dinner and come back for another after the round to complete the meal. Or second would be a round at Cypress Point followed by dinner at the Whaling Station.
Mr Hurricane

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
Merion and a Stewart's for me.

Care to join me, Mike Cirba?

Dan,

I was just about to type it in when I saw you beat me to the punch.   Make that any golf course on the planet, followed by a Stewart manna meat treat from heaven. (R.I.P)

Oh to have just one more deliciously savory Stewart Sandwich broiled to perfection and served piping hot out of the little convection oven.  (if the little old lady hurling it onto a plate with potato chips and pickle wedge to avoid the nuclear heat of the plastic wrapper fusing permanently to her fingers can be realistically termed "served")  

Lobster at NGLA and 24 oz. Steak at Sand Hills might be for the unsophisticated heathen among us, Dan, but you and I know that true nirvana and total enlightenment comes served in a steaming cellophane bag.    ;D

Such is the stuff of dreams...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 05:49:35 PM by Mike Cirba »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2006, 07:02:30 PM »
Chicago Golf Club followed by Greek Town

All three courses at Paiute followed by In-N-Out or Chipotle Grill with double Barbacoa

BV,

Great call!...but I'd also add Olympia Fields followed by dinner in Greek Town.  What a great night that was!!!

Not name-dropping enough.

French Laundry?

One Mega-Chef has lived all the way up to his hype so far in my lifetime: Gerard Boyer at Boyer-les-Crayeres. Add what seems like 40 pages of Champagnes on the wine list ...

He's since retired.  :'(

The rest do well-fit into the four definitions of "Hype" as previously and properly defined on the Pat Mucci Sebonack thread.

Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

John Foley

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2006, 07:20:21 PM »
How about any round in NYC area followed by steaks and a big old bottle of red at Smith & Wollensky's!

Everytime I'm in CA and I play in the PM or try and get a get-away round in the AM it's always In N Out!!

What I need is recomendations for the best BBQ ob the RTJ trail in "bama!

Any recomendations?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Mike Hendren

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2006, 07:29:25 PM »
What I need is recomendations for the best BBQ ob the RTJ trail in "bama!
Any recomendations?

Paging John Goodman!

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back