News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Gary Daughters

Durness
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:50:27 PM »
Has anyone ventured to the tip of the Scottish Highlands to play this course?

Pictures?

I have made contact with the club on several occasions but the impression I get is that they've had enough of writers imposing on them.

As a writer I think it's an interesting story, how a handul of guys got together and built themselves a golf course.  I'd like to know how it happened, because I'm sure it's an interesting story.

And realizing that land use provisions are dramatically different in Scotland than here, it does dovetail with my own dream of building my own modest golf course one day.

Thanks,
Gary
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 05:01:00 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Brad Klein

Re:Durness
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:28:04 PM »
Gary,

played there 2x, both in 50 mph howlers. It's lovely, remote, not great golf but a great place for any golf. Don't worry about no one answering. When we were last there in Sept. 2003, the demented housekeeper of a clubhouse woman who ran the thing looked like Kathy Bates w/o thorazine and was only slightly less coherent. Something about "the wind had beaten up the brains of her husband and herself."

Is the drive to Durness worth it? Absolutely, so long as you are into pilgrimages. There's other golf around there, to the east, but it's not as crazed or as wind-beaten as Durness' 9-hole track. Make the trek, even w/o reservations. You can always leave 20 Pounds in the box by the door.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 06:16:17 PM by Brad Klein »

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »
If you're really into the journey, take the ferry from John O' Groats (east of Durness), to Orkney, and play the 13 hole course west of the village of Stromness.  Deepest rough I have ever seen.......waist high fescue, thick and tangled, and wind to flatten any shot.  Like Durness, wild, remote, raw.

Tom
the pres

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 06:35:06 PM »
Gary

It's been written about before, but I can't remember where.  The trip itself to Durness is vaut le detour--it's probably where they faked the Moon landings.  Visit the Smoo Caves while you're there, too.  And, as Brad implied, the fact that they haven't answered your letters is not your fault--the Highlanders have a different sense of time and importance than thee and me.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 07:17:43 PM »
'faked the moon landings'. As if!
Another Goodale classic...

Durness is also home to many fine luvverly limestone lochs full of MASSIVE wild Brown Trout.

I MUST get meeself up to that magnificent landscape. Did you ever feel that maybe you live in a Country but insist on travelling elsewhere for holidays? WHY?

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back