News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Smith

This is my first ever post...I enjoyed reading all of the stories

140 yards at SFGC second shot on par four 5th hole.  Holed out nine iron just seconds after playing companion Jim Urbina said it was probably his favorite hole at SFGC.  I was a 29 year old laborer assisting in bunker work.  (monday play obviously)

Close second.  Playing all alone, 143 yards, 6 iron Lake Oswego Muni uphill hole 8 par three with giant tree in between tee and green.  Heard it rattle the stick and didn't know until I peered in.  Firm green crowned in middle, about 2,000 sf.  First hole in one, years ago. (eighth grade)

Close third.    235 yards, hole 15, slightly downhill, Dublin Ranch, CA late stages grow in, not open yet.  Playing badly all day.  Pure, slight left to right, mostly straight 1 iron hole in one without a flagstick, must have rolled in like a putt, the ball mark was 20 feet short.

Close fourth.   Upsidedown wedge, Left handed chip in from 60 feet or so out of the gorse at the Sheep Ranch.  Furthest south green.

Jordan Wall

Josh.

Hello, and judging by the birthday cake on your profile happy 30th!!

I finally have a story of my own.

Last week I was playing in a tourney I had practiced for all year.  I ended up playing awful and blowing it, but I made one of the greatest shots of my life.  There was a par-5, I think 540 yards.  I hit a drive, and had 261 to the pin.  It was uphill, and because I had never played the course I was not positive where to aim.  Anyways, I take a three wood and put it to a few feet.  That felt good amidst my bad playing.

Josh Smith

Jordan,

Enjoyed the description.  Sometimes the best shots come out of nowhere.  

I think this is the reason Golf is better than any other game... Because your next shot can be the best of your life, no matter what part of the round or what your score adds up to. True for the beginner or the seasoned pro.

Yes, thank you, what a birthday gift huh, the transition from lurker to poster.  And to be greated by a fellow pacific northwest guy, not a bad start.  I grew up near Portland.  

Actually, about two hours ago I received likely the best golf gift a guy could ask for at least this side of the Mississippi, an invitation this thursday @ CPC.  First official time around.

tlavin

I'm not that great of a player (12 handicap), but I am a lucky sort of person.  I've had three holes in one and a handful of chip-in eagles, but my best shot came on the 16th hole at Beverly CC in Chicago about 10 years ago.  I missed my drive and I had a 222 yard shot out of the light rough.  I hit a three wood that went in the hole.  I knew it was going to be close when I hit it, but that is a pretty long eagle!

Phil McDade

Re: Not really OT - What do you consider the best shot you've ever hit?
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »
Found this while researching the website for stuff on Beverly (and Lavin, that's one impressive eagle!)

Any upates?

Maybe not my best shot, but the one I remember most vividly.

Back story: I'm playing my usual early Sunday morning round five years ago with the gang, including my neighbor, one of my best buddies in the world (a real foxhole kind of guy, the one who you call over to your house on a moment's notice to watch your kids on a Sunday night when your youngest topples his Big Wheel on the driveway and pushes his front teeth into his forehead, necessitating a trip to the emergency room, which actually happened...)

Anyway, we're at the par 3 4th hole, pretty simple hole, slightly uphill, about 140 yards to a green fronted by a pond, back-to-front sloped and a very big green, pin center-back (probably playing @ 150 yds). I hit my usual crappy shot, then my buddy pulls a 6-iron, lines up, hits his shot, and it never leaves the pin, stopping 18 inches away right below the pin. I honestly thought it was going in. Closest he's ever come to an ace. Kick-in birdie.

One week later, same Sunday morning crowd, we're at the same hole, same pin (hey, it's a muni...), wind slightly against. My friend hits first, mediocre shot. I'm next, pull a 6-iron, hit the shot, and it never leaves the pin. I honestly thought it was going in. Stops 18 inches below the hole -- same exact spot my friend the week before hit his shot -- with the same club! Closest I've ever come to an ace. Kick-in birdie (that I actually sweated over, because I knew if I missed it, he'd never let me hear the end of it...)

We still talk about it.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »
Riverfront -  April 1, 2006 about 2:30 pm, 2nd hole ... I recorded my 5th ace.  About 180 yards into an at least 1 club wind ... the easiest flagstick location, I hit a 4 iron.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »
Oddly, enough, I don't think either of my holes in ones were my best shots.  For that matter, I have holed out twice for eagle, but no, not that either.

I actually regard some of my short game shots after attending the Pelz scoring school to be among my best shots ever, because it was an acquired skill that got the ball close, not luck that put it in the hole.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brent Hutto

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »
Two come to mind when I think on this question.

The first was during a foursomes (alternate shot) match during the Kings Putter at Stevinson Ranch several years back. On a long par 4 John VDB drove us way down the fairway but still left maybe 160-odd yards to a back left hole tucked behind a bunker. For him that would have been just a solid 8-iron or something like that but it is a long, long shot for me. I judge the crosswind perfectly and hit one of the best 4-irons of my life, a cut shot that landed and stopped about five feet directly behind the hole. To hit an iron shot like that (given that long irons from the fairway almost never turn out well for me) in an alternate-shot match was exhilarating.

The other, interestingly enough, is another 4-iron just recently. Another long par 4 that I seldom reach in regulation have only parred a handful of times out of 100+ rounds. I hit an unusually long drive (for me) and had 170 downhill off a downslope/sideslope lie. Had to choke down several inches on a 4-iron because of the lie but I absolutely pured it dead on line, dead straight, high (off a downslope) and hole high. Made the eight-footer for birdie.

Compared to those shots, hit with a club I probably ought not even have in my bag, the little punched 8-iron that went in the hole at Tobacco Road for my only ace was a pretty mundane shot. Nothing like pulling off a shot that you "wouldn't, couldn't, shouldn't" normally hit worth a darn.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »
Eagle 2 on the 18th hole of the Ritz a few years ago, driver, 4 iron over water, 2 hops and rolls in for a duece.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Greg Tallman

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »
One of the better amateur events in WV... LOOOOOOONG time ago.

Made up 8 shots on second day to force a playoff.

Hole #2 of playoff I hit it in the trees and before I even find my ball  my opponent stiffs his approach about 3 1/2 feet.

I finally find the ball and hit a blind shot that lands about 2 feet from the flag but bounces over the green into the rough... downhill pitch but with little to lose and being a bit young and... uhhhh... "confident" I pulll the flag... and hole the shot... opponent misses and while everyone watching thought the tournament would be over after this hole they certainly did not foresee the sudden turn of events.

Unlike Chris Couch I was not using a cross handed chipping grip to execute the winning shot!

Close second was a 175 yard 6 iron to about 10 inches on the final hole to win my first collegiate tournament by one shot over my roommate and now Tour player Bob Sowards who had a nice 66 yesterday in Nationwide Tour event. By the way that shot capped off  a day of hitting 3 greens in regulation and shooting even par!  ;)

There are no other options... may be the only two good shots I have ever executed under pressure.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:27:11 PM by Greg Tallman »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
Labor Day, 1976:  4-iron from 195 yards to six feet with OB ten paces away in a playoff for my second men's club championship at the age of 18.  Downhill since.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Hancock

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
7 iron punch into the wind to a shelf no more than 10 feet wide and deep, immediately after telling Mike Hendren I was going to do exactly that. Birdie.

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Hendren

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »
7 iron punch into the wind to a shelf no more than 10 feet wide and deep, immediately after telling Mike Hendren I was going to do exactly that. Birdie.

;D

Joe got game.  His bunt/slice driver is not to be missed either.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Justin Broderson

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2009, 08:19:55 PM »
In my club championship last week we went to the 18th all square.  Had 170 uphill perfect 7 iron draw.  3 jacked it, went to a playoff and lost.  What a shot it was though.

2nd favorite was 220 from right rough on 15 at Kingsley.  3 hybrid, high cut to about 15 feet.  After the way I played this hole in the previous 2 rounds it was extremely rewarding.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »
Mine was just recently, I approached the driveable par 4 13th at Adams Mountain Country Club.  The tee was around 330 yards, the pin was tucked back left behind the tree line where you couldn't even seen it.  I hit a towering cut over the tree's with my driver, I wasn't sure if it was going to be good or not and then once approaching the green saw it 1 foot from the hole.  The ball mark was about 6 feet from the hole too, so it was all carry.  It doesn't get much easier than that for eagle putts.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2009, 09:54:48 PM »
I actually regard some of my short game shots after attending the Pelz scoring school to be among my best shots ever, because it was an acquired skill that got the ball close, not luck that put it in the hole.

Jeff:
I take it that you thought the Pelz school was worth it?  I am a pretty good ball striker and putter, but struggle with pitching and chipping and have thought about going to the Pelz school.....

Jason Walker

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
George--pretty easy one for me.

Back in early May, I decided to cut out of work and get a quick lunchtime lesson...had been struggling with my game the prior few weeks.  After my quick-fix 20 minutes on the range, I grabbed one of the guys from the shop to play the 'loop' at Pine Hill--holes one through four.  After piping my drive on number one, a 520 yard par-5, I hit my 3-hybrid from 235 downwind...and saw the ball land on the front of the green but couldn't follow much after that.  Well, we reach the green...and my ball is no where to be found.  It's not uncommon to roll off the back of the green so we searched behind....and nothing.  Aggravated, I started walking back to the cart, cursing,  only to turn around when the shop guy starts yelling at the top of his lungs.  Yep....an albatross.  The good part of this story is that I immediately got on the phone, cancelled my 2:00PM meeting, and played a round of golf.    ;D

Ben Sims

« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
Best two shots I've ever hit came within a minute of each other.  After an amazing few days at Bandon, we were finishing our trip with Bandon Dunes.  We walked up to the 16th tee on a 60 degree, 10 knot, no cloud day on the 5th of April.  Rare day for Bandon that early in the spring.  

I had been striking the ball horribly that day, though I was on pace for my usual 90-95 strokes.  As we took the obligatory "goodbye loop" pics with our caddies, a truck was rolling down the beach.  One of the caddies yells, "Ben, hurry, hit that truck!!"  He throws down a ball at my feet and screams, "six iron, punch, like you did on 5, hurry!!"  I reach for the weapon, no practice swing, back of my stance, stab down at the ball with a Roy McAvoy follow through.  

The strike is true.  The Pro V1x #8 with three red dots tracks towards it's target like a heat seeking Sidewinder.  At it's apogee--as if by divine intervention from the golf gods themselves looking for entertainment--a gust a wind pushes the streaking bullet 3 degrees off course. And it helps!!  The caddies are screaming.  My playing partners are screaming.  I am screaming.  The truck is as helpless as a newly minted MiG pilot in the skies against Col. Robin Olds and his Operation Bolo air warriors.  We are watching the shot of a lifetime.  The ball pulls lead pursuit, the truck is dead, and....plop.  My titleist missile falls all of three feet short of the truck on a direct collision course.  

Then I hit driver 327 yards to 8 feet and three putted for par.  C'est la vie.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2009, 12:57:43 AM »
Drilling a 4-iron off a hanging lie to five feet the first time I played the Road Hole comes to mind, as does the 9-iron backed into the jar for a three on #16 at Olympic Lake. My ace 20 years ago on the 205 yard 3rd barely counts. A 4-iron off the toe in the death throes of a debilitating hangover magically found its way to the hole. But it was God's way of punishing me for my indiscretions the previous evening.

While everyone in the bar enjoyed a drink on me, a soda water and handful of aspirin was all I could choke down. To make matters worse, the lass in whose rack I awoke that morning gave me the crabs - which partially explains why I swore off barflies and brown whiskey to this day.

Every "great shot story" seems wanting since my close friend Eric (who several of you know) canned a deuce on #8 at Pebble Beach a few months back with what he refers to as “The magic 4-iron.”

He was trying out his father's graphite Pings to see if he liked them better than the new Titleist irons - and strangely still decided to go with the Z muscle-backed blades. When his father went to Cleveland's, he gave me the set of Pings - ending a 26 year run with my Eye 2's, so old they predated the square groove argument.

The first time I hit the 4-iron on the impossible 5th hole at Olympic, I nearly put it in the jar – proving that sometimes it really is the bow, not the Indian.

However, my most memorable shot involves an 87 year-old (12 years ago) man named Douglas Graham. Around 1995 I wrote a piece for the local rag about a wonderful golf course called Deep Cliff (Cupertino, CA.) I had come to see on the recommendation of a friend who ran a club populated by elderly women golfers.

Hidden in a little valley adjacent to a sprawling metropolis, Clark Glasson (NorCal guys will recognize his name) routed this little par of 60 jewel around a tree lined creek at the base of a cliff where local legend has it that two young lovers leapt to their deaths before the turn of the century.

Suicide pacts aside, I thought it was an ideal destination for juniors, ladies, seniors - and an excellent place to bludgeon low handicappers with more ego than brains.

As part of my research, I erroneously wrote that the course record was 55 - which seemed plausible despite its length given the cleverly contoured greens and overhanging elm trees.

A week or so later, I received a beautifully composed letter with lyrical penmanship from this elderly gentleman in Sacramento. Enclosed was an article from the San Jose Mercury in1964 about this man who shot 50 at Deep Cliff.

Someone had noticed my error and sent off a copy of the article to Doug - who was living in assisted care near his daughter after losing his wife of 50 years.

So began this friendship of letters and columns back and forth at least once every couple of weeks on all things golf and life. Doug was born in Scotland, but his family emigrated to Michigan when he was nine. His first job? - a caddie at Oakland Hills.

He still remembered his first golf lesson on the back lawn behind the clubhouse by a beautifully dressed professional who had taken a liking to his young caddy.

Quite a fuss was made about an exhibition match that day and taking a break from the party for a smoke, Walter Hagen told the boy to fetch a club and a few balls and he would give him some pointers.

Over the next few years, I waited for Doug's letter like a small child peering into the mailbox every day because there was invariably a great story or piece of Michigan golf history waiting for me. Doug and his wife had moved to Santa Clara sometime in the late 1950's, but for him it always seemed like time stopped after the Great War.

I never called him on the phone the first three years - maybe I was afraid to break the magic - so though he was only 90 miles away, we communicated only as pen pals. Doug hand-wrote his letters, always with perfect form and never a misspelling. I typed mine - ashamed of my horrible handwriting and need for a spell checker.

One day the phone rang and the voice on the other end was a creaky sounding man with a hint of Scottish brogue and maybe a dash or two of whiskey.

Doug was coming to Colma with his daughter to put flowers on his wife’s grave and wanted to buy me lunch. I told him that I needed a putting lesson and some grandfatherly advice and asked him join me on our 9-hole Cliffs Course, a par-3 course that clings precariously to the foggy bluffs above the windswept Pacific coastline.

It took Doug a long time to climb the stairs at my office, standing before me all of 5’6” and barely 120 pounds of skin, bone and a red nose. I asked him if he was sure he could walk the nine holes. Though he admitted having not played for several years since taking a fall, he was going to give it a go.

So off we went to Olympic, first for lunch and a dram or two to get the joints oiled. His set of clubs featured a weather beaten Helen Hicks 5-wood and a series of mismatched irons he carried because “they feel right.”

I’ve got to admit to being nervous my #1 fan was going to take a fall right there on the tee and silently prayed to God that the flaps on his ancient two-toned Foot Joys would still be upright when we reached the 9th green.

Too proud to play from the front tees, Doug pulled his 5-wood, teed up his Top Flite and without a practice swing or moment of hesitation whacked the ball 75 yards right down the center.

The problem was the hole is 184 yards long and the women’s tees are 80 years down the fairway. Still, I was thrilled he made contact after so many years and pulled my 3-iron hoping it was enough to get there into the teeth of the breeze.

“I’ll tell you what,” said Doug, “since you are going to hit a great shot, how about if I just play from where your ball ends up?”

“Only if you want to play from a buried lie under the lip of the bunker,” I said with my usual confidence.

Doug laughed and gave me this far off, knowing look in his eyes.

“Show me a great shot,” he said firmly.

“You just jinxed me,” I said. “This will probably be a shank.”

“Hit it with confidence like you have done it a thousand times Gib. That is the key to golf.”

Cold stare.

“Now, show me you can do it,” he said.

I nervously addressed the ball, re-gripping it a half dozen times.

My spine shivers writing this because I can still feel the compression of that Lady Precept flush against the clubface. The ball took off like a shrieking rocket into the wind right at the flag with a tiny draw.

Oh my God. It went in.
Dead center. Bottom of the cup. Right before my eyes. First swing of the day, first shot I had ever hit in front of him.

“It sounded pretty good, where did it go?” Doug asked.

I later realized that Doug is nearly blind. The flagstick may as well have been cut on the Farallon Islands 25 miles offshore, yet he knew in some metaphysical way what was to come.

Shocked, I fished the ball out of the hole and staggered in a daze to the next tee. It was as if this little man willed my ball into the hole as a gift to me for paying attention to him all those years.

But the gift was not the ace, but the letters of wisdom I still have stacked upstairs in my golf library – right on the shelf next to Scotland’s Gift and a copy of The Evangelist of Golf that George Bahto gave to me with a personal note.

We never finished the nine holes, Doug started to tire after the fifth and I carried both of our bags back to the clubhouse. After he sat to rest for a while, his daughter showed up to retrieve him. She was nearly 65 with gray hair and a kindly face.

She thanked me several times for taking the time to invite her father out to play golf, commenting that except for singing in the church choir, he rarely gets away from the senior home.

Before she drove away, he gave me a ball marker that had been in his bag for decades as a keepsake. He knew he would probably never see me again and I am sorry to say he was right.

I still received letters from time to time for the next couple of years and always wrote back, but we never spoke again. His handwriting started to get noticeably shakier the last year as he alluded to battling a health condition.

One day the letters stopped coming and the lady at the senior home said he had been moved to a convalescent hospital, but did not know where.

I had not the presence of mind to get his daughter’s married name or address that day and Doug vanished from my life without a trace.

Still, every time I stand on the 1st tee of the Cliffs Course, I silently say to myself “Show me a great shot.”

Maybe if I say it enough times, a letter will reappear in my mailbox.  

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:18:46 PM by Gib Papazian »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2009, 08:22:53 AM »
Gib -

That was great and I shudder to try and follow your prose, but I will attempt.

My greatest shot was not at the best course in the worsld, it was at the TPC Myrtle Beach on #18. I hit my tee shot down the right side in an attempt to get closer to the green to try and make eagle to break 70. Water creeps in on the left and it hugs the left side of the fairway past the green.

I hit a good drive, but a little too far right and I was in the trees on hardpan. I was 210 from the green and had a tiny opening aiming 30 yards left of the green. The other group was on the green so I decided to wait because I was always told "no guts, no glory". Well the typical Myrtle Beach marshall drove up and asked what I was doing, you know, because we need to keep everyone moving. I told him I was going for the green.

He tells me no way, just punch out.(It really was a tiny hole...). I waited. My partner and the ranger hid because they did not want to get beaned. I couldn't blame them. I lashed at my 4 iron and it went through the opening. It started out over the water and proceeded to gentlely curve to the right. Bingo, 15 feet from the hole.

The marshall proceeded to tell me that was the greatest shot he had ever seen and if Tiger Woods hit that shot, they would still be talking about it. To cap it off, I made my putt and broke 70.
Mr Hurricane

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2009, 09:00:44 AM »

Jeff:
I take it that you thought the Pelz school was worth it?  I am a pretty good ball striker and putter, but struggle with pitching and chipping and have thought about going to the Pelz school.....

Carl,

Sorry I missed this one, but also got a few PM's on it, too.

Short version (especially for you!) Yes.

Of course, in my case, my son and I both reduced our handicap by about 6 strokes.  My son's handicap went down to scratch or below, and he got a college scholarship that saved me $30K....so I invest $700 for two one day schools and save $30K.  I can do that math!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom Walsh

« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »
High School Districts to qualify for State-Spring 1975

Playing early, lots of fellow competitors watching and waiting to tee off at Crystal Lake (NLE) in St. Louis.

Yours truly cold tops his driver about 100 yards down the first-does not make fairway. Nervous and pissed, with everyone still watching I pure a great 5 wood up near the green.

Did not qualify for state, but it sure felt good to not completely bollix the round early. I was 15 I think.
"vado pro vexillum!"

George Pazin

« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
Some wonderful additions to the thread, thanks, and thanks, Phil McDade, for resurrecting the thread.

For those who don't care to re-read everything, the premise was essentially to use many of the examples provided to show that there is a lot more to the game than a 300 yard drive followed by a stiffed wedge.

I haven't played enough recently to add any nice shots to the thread, but I have had a few 300 yard drives...followed by chunked wedges. Puts a new twist on Tom P's Big World Theory.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Shane Wright

« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »
My wife just had our first child 4 months ago

Subsequently I discovered that playing in USGA and State qualifiers was going to be impossible

Haven't gripped a club in over 2 months (live in MN so I'm screwed in a couple of months)

Read GCA for about an hour the other night and got a really bad case of the "itch"

"Volunteered" to take the boy for a walk with wedge and 9 pro v's at the bottom of the stroller

walked 6 blocks to nearest muni, boy fell asleep, hit about 50 wedges and holed one out from 60 yards

I can't get the shot out of my head and I probably won't play another round until next April. 

Not the best shot I have ever hit, but at this point, I'll take what I can get.

Jim Colton

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
I've had a hole-in-one, but the best shot I've ever hit is a 4-iron fairway bunker shot about 225 over water, to about 4 feet to set up an eagle.  It's the most Tiger-like shot I've ever hit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back