News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Re:Changes To Kingsley Club
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 10:33:23 PM »
I'll go with the "blind squirrel" theory on the eagle. The X is a more common occurence...I never did really "finish" #2 in two attempts :)

Jlyon

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »
Andy, glad to see that you enjoyed our club.  As far as your X is concened, I don't know of any tee shot in golf (without OB or water) that strikes more fear in my heart.  Amazing for a 135 -150 yd hole.  

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 04:45:45 PM »
bump
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 04:58:58 PM »
Ed,
I think you just wanted me to remind myself about not being able to finish #2 either round by bumping this thread :)

Maybe the third time would have been the charm and I'd have finally tried to go long and putt back at the front pin...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 05:21:36 PM »
Andy, sorry to hear of your two X's. I played it twice and was 1 under on #2 ;).
Mr Hurricane

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
Andy

It's "just" a little 150 yard par 3.  Don't you love a great short par 3 that can yield a wide range of scores?  

#2 is a great example.

Dan Moore

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
I assume they will have some more changes this year, any ideas?  I'd guess more tree removal on the back nine.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 08:35:51 PM »
For another fearful "little" par three, how about the ninth?  Seems you could make the same range of scores there as you could on the second...

Funny how the longest par three on the front (by far) is perhaps the easiest and (I'm guessing) most aced.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 09:05:31 PM »
Jim,
Did you have the front flag? If so you're a better golfer than I am!

Geoffrey,
I wish I would have played the hole at least moderately successfully once so that I could have seen the wide range of scores ;)

I did make a 3 on #1 the second time around...does that count!

Brian,
Agreed on #9, I have to admit that (maybe because I finished it both times) I did prefer that one to #2! Many fun shots to be played on both holes.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 10:00:59 PM »
Thanks for bumping this thread, ed... a reminder that I spent an entire day in a bunker with Joe Hancock, and then had to share a hotel room with him!

And DeVries gets all the credit for the work  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 10:41:40 PM »
Some photos for those who haven't been there to feel the fear and excitement in person...

#2: 162 Yards

#9: 157 Yards

#9 green closeup

ed_getka

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 01:43:57 AM »
I loved most of the changes to Kingsley. They just added to what is already one of the great courses in this country. The only change I didn't care for was the clearing of trees up behind #17 green. For some reason the hole doesn't seem as visually daunting on the approach now. Opening up the tee shot a bit was a great improvement on #17 given my usual wayward driving. :D
   To have the opportunity to play at Kingsley, talk to their great staff, and see the incredible job Dan Lucas does there is one of the great treats in my life.
    There are certain courses that bring a smile to your face every time you think of them. Kingsley, Fishers, and North Berwick all connect with my golfing soul in a special way.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 07:24:01 AM »
Ed -

Great summary of feelings towards Kingsley. I get the same feelings about the course still. It was certainly a treat to play there and I look forward to the day when Mr Huckaby can share our excitement. I really thought the place compared favorably to Sand Hills etc... Just a wonderful experience.

Andy -

I had a front flag the first round for my par and middle right for my birdie.
Mr Hurricane

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2007, 11:01:12 AM »
Suffice it to say that I should find a partner and send back the entry to the Penninsula Cup at The Kingsley Club that I received in the mail yesterday.
I stopped playing these competitive amateur invitationals 5-6 years ago but it doesn't sound like playing in a new event at such a well received golf course is something that I should pass up.
Any thoughts?

Dan Moore

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2007, 11:29:29 AM »
Gordon,  You won't be sorry if you do.  

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PThomas

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
Suffice it to say that I should find a partner and send back the entry to the Penninsula Cup at The Kingsley Club that I received in the mail yesterday.
I stopped playing these competitive amateur invitationals 5-6 years ago but it doesn't sound like playing in a new event at such a well received golf course is something that I should pass up.
Any thoughts?

yes, run asap to the mailbox with your form saying you will be there
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
I believe the Penninsula Cup has been filling up so it is probably a good idea to get your form in.
There is still some snow on the ground so they are expecting to open about mid April.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jim Franklin

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »
And Gordon, if you are looking for a partner, give me a call ;).
Mr Hurricane

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35:04 PM »
Jim
Are you sure about that?
My wife would tell you that the saying "I'm a shadow of my former self" only applies to my on course performance.
In any event, I think I should be able to dredge up a partner from down here in South Florida willing to prop me up as needed.
Thanks for offering and you never know, I may need someone, anyone willing to subject themselves to me after they have handed us a scorecard and a pencil on the first tee.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »
Gordon,
Kingsley is definitely worth seeing and playing in the tournament would be a good way to do that.

Maybe if I tried again I'd actually finish #2 since for some reason I remind myself of my struggles there every time this thread pops back up! :)

ed_getka

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 01:10:37 AM »
Andy,
   I don't know what the problem was on #2 for you. It is such an easy hole if you hit the green. ;D You're hitting a short iron for goodness sake. :o
   #2 Kingsley and #2 Dornoch are still two of the most daunting short par 3's I have played with a breeze blowing.
Regards,
Ed

Jim Franklin

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 07:40:37 AM »
Gordon -

I just loved Kingsley and would not care who I played with. Since I used to live in South Florida, we may have fun. Seriously, I love the place and always am looking for a reason to visit. I hope to visit again in July.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2007, 09:15:06 AM »
Gordon-

Put me down as another recommendation for the tournament, however I also highly recommend you get there a day or two early to play it a few times beforehand.  Like all great courses, there's a lot of learning that goes on there, and it's an absolute blast - but in a tournament format I'd suggest you get some of that learning out of the way early!

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2007, 11:43:15 AM »
Jim

If you would like to play in the Peninsula, e-mail the GM Brian Conklin (bconklin@kingsleyclub.com) and ask if it's possible to get an invitation. They are looking to expand the tourney slowly so may be looking for more players.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2007, 01:49:53 PM »
Thanks Dan, I will do that.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back