News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_p

Portland Get-together Report
« on: April 16, 2006, 07:48:37 PM »
    I will try to get some tee times at the Reserve Vineyards (South/Fought) for Saturday, May 6th. Can't do that until this weekend. IM or email me during the next week so I can figure out how many are interested?
    An alternate date for North(Cupp) is Sat. 5/27 which is Memorial Day weekend.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:27:58 AM by Peter Pittock »

Jim Adkisson

Re:Portland Get-together to be set
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:58:33 PM »
Peter, I just checked the calender and I am in town on either date suggested...Please count me in the fun...I'm looking forward to meeting some of the other guys that are in the Portland area and that frequent this site.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 11:34:48 PM »
I will be in Portland for a couple of weeks right after the Kings Putter in Palm Springs, and would like to have as many Portlanders as Columbia-Edgewater will let me bring out as guests for a day.  I'm sure I can work something out, the staff is very accommodating.  Let me know if you are interested, this would be something like the first Thursday in June.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 12:11:37 AM »
This Washingtonian might be interested in coming down.  End of May or the early June date would work.  

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:48:52 AM »
Peter,

I can make it on the 6th, but we've got a baby due at the end of May so the 27th is out.  Let me know what you decide upon.

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »
Tough getting a consensus here.

I am recovering from foot surgery.  I am out for the 6th, but would be probable for the 27th.  I am out of town during the first couple weeks in June.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:18:46 AM »
Peter, Doubt Portland will be doable, but, if you wouldn't mind considering some follow-up reports on the work done at Eastmoreland. I know one gca'er who would be interested.

Is Slag working in the industry, yet? How can we get him Zoeller's Yob? ;)

peter_p

Portland Grouping on May 6th
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »
    The small field of Garland Bayley, JIm Adkisson, Mike Erdmann and myself will play the Cupp course on May 6th and report back to the treehouse. Suspected topics will be drowning trees instead of cutting them down, overwatering on a faux links, how to build a redan without providing the run-up possibility and changing the routing sequences.
     Hopefully we will have more of these later on when Panhandle Bill gets here. Slagbert is working at Columbia Edgewater.

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »
Guys, have fun.  By May 6th I may be able to walk a few holes.  If so, I'll be inclined to stop by and walk around a little.  I've never seen the Cupp course, and am very curious to see what it looks like.

I'm under the impression that John Fought got the lion's share of the good land for the two courses, which created a rift between the two architects, ultimately ending their partnership.

Maybe see you next Saturday.  What time do you play?  Is it OK if I walk a few holes with you?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 07:58:52 PM »
John, To heck with walking a few holes, show-up in a wheelchair and demand to play. Then tip over in some hazard and sue their arses off. Maybe you could then join Sebonack?
 ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 11:01:33 AM »
John, To heck with walking a few holes, show-up in a wheelchair and demand to play. Then tip over in some hazard and sue their arses off. Maybe you could then join Sebonack?
 ;D
Adam,

If you have been paying attention to John's posts, I think you would conclude he would prefer Rock Creek Cattle Co. to Sebonack.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

Re:Portland Grouping on May 6th
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 12:05:05 PM »
Slagbert is working at Columbia Edgewater.

I don't think I had learned that, or if I did, I promptly forgot it!

Slag is working for a really good super, Gordon Kioyawa, who keeps Columbia-Edgewater running fast in the Oregon rainy season, not an easy feat.  Great fairway contours and a lot of sanding of the fairways is responsible under Gordon's management.

I will check with the golf shop and see what's a good date and how many I can host and let you all know for June.

Garland Bayley

Re:Portland Get-together May 6th
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 11:16:18 PM »
I though Mike Erdmann would have started a thread about our get together by now. He took a picture of Peter Pittock's license  plate that he was going to start a thread with. Since I haven't seen that thread, I will make a brief report.

Relative newbies Jim Adkisson and I joined Mike and Peter to play the north course at the Reserve Vineyards while John Kirk walked along for 9 holes. Slag Bandoon was nowhere to be seen. I forgot to ask last Saturday, but my biggest puzzle about Portland GCAers is who is Slag Bandoon? When I first saw the name, I assumed that someone was playing with their profile and posting semi-anonymously. Since this thread mentions he is working at CE in Portland, I have discarded that assumption.

I had some experince with Fought and Cupp by walking the south course during the Tradition, walking Pumpkin Ridge during the Women's open, and by playing Langdon Farms. Either being a spectator outside the ropes does not give you a view of, or a motivation to notice the details of the course; or the other courses simply don't have near as many details, especially in the green complexes as does the north course.

For this somewhat novice, the course was an eye-opener. For example, false fronts are something that I have only seen on TV or read about. Neither of those experiences made me imagine what the false fronts would really be like. On one par 3, I think it was 14, Mike hit his shot right at the flag, had it hit directly into the false front and it crawled forward to the crest, not quite making it and rolled all the way back down off the front some distance. Jim missed short and right and was below the false front with a putt that seemed it would take a 460cc putter head to get the ball to the hole. Fortunately his putter head is about 400cc and he got the ball 400/460 of the way to the hole.

Hole 13 is unlike any hole I have seen before. If you do not drive the ball far down the fairway to the right away from the green on this sharp left dogleg, then the green is totally blind behind an embankment with only the top of the flag visible from as close as 50 yards, perhaps less. My best description of the pattern of the design of this hole is a button hook pattern, because the grass is cut to fairway height behind the green after hooking in from the dogleg to the right of the green.

Although this introverted engineer was very nervous at the beginning with negative influences on my game, the fellow GCAers put me at ease and my game warmed up to their warmth and I had a great time.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 11:46:10 PM »
Peter Herreid will be down from Seattle June 8th, Thursday, so I would like to invite a few GCAers out to Columbia-
Edgewater to play that day.  Anybody who might be interested please send me an IM and I will see how many I can host that day.

Garland Bayley, "Slag Bandoon" is the nom de gca of Portland's Norbert Painter.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:47:05 PM by Bill_McBride »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 11:56:16 PM »
So I was right! :) It was someone playing with their profile. I have seen posts from Norbert Painter that suggested to me that he was from Portland.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 12:15:49 AM »
Really enjoyed meeting up with Peter, Garland, Jim and John Kirk this past weekend.  As Garland commented, the green complexes at the Reserve-North are pretty interesting.  Just too bad the course wasn't firm and fast like it begs to be maintained.  

Here's the photo of Peter Pittock's license plate taken with my camera phone on Sunday.  Now THIS is true GolfClubAtlas dedication (or is it obsession?)!  The only way to top this would be for someone to get a GCA tattoo.  That could be the ass-pic to end all ass-pics.

peter_p

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 02:16:19 AM »
  Garland overcame a shaky start to birdie two of the final holes. I know he's smiling. I wish I had Jim's tempo.
  The course was a lot firmer earlier in the week with higher temps and windy conditions. Greens were bumpy from the remains of aeration and a poa-bent mix.
  13 is a simple difficult hole. Not only does the shallow green hide behind the ridge, it is also angled with a run-off chipping area behind the center part of the green which drops at least 8 feet. You should be hitting wedge, but a long drive can get you past the ridge and allow play up the long axis.
  Maybe the others will comment on the routing change, which saw 1-6 become 10-15.

Ari Techner

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 02:31:37 AM »
If anyone would be interested in coming down I would be happy to host an Oregon get togeather at Eugene CC.  

peter_p

Re:Portland Get-together Report
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »
Ari,
That's a great offer. I'd be willing to head down if I don't have an unavoidable conflict. Midweek is OK with enuf leadtime. Eugene is a good midpoint for Bend, Bandon and PDX to get together. Maybe we can have 2 or 3 of these a year.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 04:10:23 PM »
Peter I will be in area right after 4th of July. I hope we can play a round together and meet some of the other area guys

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »
I certainly enjoyed meeting up with Mike, Garland, John and Peter (thanks for hosting!)...The Cupp (North) course at the Reserve has never been one of my favorite tracks in the Portland area, but it was fun to kibbitz with folks that have an eye for detail in the designs...and some game to boot!

I look forward to the next GCA-NW playdate...Peter and I discussed the idea of setting up at a course a wee bit north and see if we could get some of our Seattle area bretheren to join in the fun...

Ari, I would love to play at Eugene CC and meet you and hopefully some of the other boys in the treehouse.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 05:21:14 PM »
I was nervous playing with Peter at the site of Peter's party and now you tell me Tiger is coming to town!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 05:33:06 PM »
No problemo, Tiger is really a pussycat!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 05:45:03 PM »
Garland, I can only wish I had the back to swing like the real Tiger.

John Kirk

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 07:25:58 PM »
Like everybody else, I had a very nice time, hampered only by my recovering foot, which got pretty sore after a few holes.  Next time I should be able to participate.

Peter sure played well on the front nine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back