News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Munoz

Architect Spec Books
« on: March 19, 2006, 01:35:08 PM »
I just want to get a comparison out of the architects on this site, regarding Specification Books (Spec. Book)  Do you architects have one?  If so, how specific is it?  How many pages?   And what has been your experiences working with the construction compaines, shapers, and the owner, with the spec book?

Thanks,
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Architect Spec Books
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:55:36 PM »
Christian,

Yes we have one, and of course, it varies a bit from job to job.

Most specs are divided into sections as follows:

Invite to Bid
Instructions to Bidders
Bid Forms
General Conditions (ususally AIA based covering typical construction issues.  Sometimes cities have their own)

Supplemental Conditions - modifying AIA for both golf and the specific Project

Speical Conditions - usually schedules, and other unique project items

Tech Spex - Covering How to clear trees, put up erosion fence, move earth, build Greens, Tees, etc. install irrigation, drainage and cart path, plant grass, and clean up the job,etc.

My specs run several hundred pages. I like to think its very specific and among the best in the biz. Of course, almost every gca likes to feel the same thing. When I was membership chairman of ASGCA, I got to view several sets of specs as part of the process. I am definitely in the upper half!

Most are too general by my standards, but I managed to gleam a few good ideas from many specs.  If I had to name names, I would say that Perry Dye actually had the best set of specs I saw, which seems odd, considering that his Dad would probably have the worst.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Forrest Richardson

Re:Architect Spec Books
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 09:58:04 PM »
They are different for every project...unfortunately. I have used six pages and nearly 600. Jack Snyder had exactly three pages and that worked until 1980 when I began seeing legal problems and all sorts of complicated influences in other projects — so I offered to update them. Forty-five pages later...

The crux of the specs is still about three pages. If we all worked on a handshake, that is all it would take. But...I now sit in meetings with contractors, lawyers and owners and hammer out detailed specifications. At a recenjt project there were 15 people in a room, six had to fly there and there were two lawyers. It took another three weeks to get the sand specification to everyone's liking.

This is a part of the business I do not enjoy. But I smile and keep attending. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 09:59:03 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back