News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Summerell

Does a Links course have to look like a Links course
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:25:23 AM »
This was spoken about a little in the 'Favourite Links Plus 3 Chasers' thread. I thought it needed more discussion.

Does a links course (on 'true' links land) have to look like a links course? What differences are out there now & what are the possibilities?

Paul_Daley

Re:Does a Links course have to look like a Links course
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 03:27:53 AM »
Andrew: I'm just a little confused by your question. You've asked whether a links (on true linksland) has to look like a links?

I think your answer is partly contained in your own question. If the layout is on true linksland, then it must automatically look like a bona-fide links. With true linksland, nature selects for inherant elements that cannot be fudged; if they are present ... rest assured that the layout will look like a true links.

Ideally ... a links will both LOOK and PLAY like one. Due to a myriad of modern considerations - some commercial - too often the latter is not the case.  

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:36:16 AM »
Paul,

I agree with what you are saying, but does it have to AUTOMATICALLY look like a links.

e.g. A modern course like Craighead at Crail has multiple bunkers around some of its greens that could be joined into something that you might find at Seminole, or even closer to home on the sandbelt.

I’m not saying this is what should happen, but I’m interested in people’s ideas as to why not.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:14:58 AM »
Andrew: For me, one of the beauties of Links Golf was discovering the huge inter-links variety at play, all the while encompassing commonalities and differences.

If it is a genuine links, it will still look like one, but perhaps not the "ideal" that each person holds as sacred.

For some a links will be strewn with gorse and be low-slung; for others, heavily dunal and fescue-ridden; others, gently undulating and "Naked as a Jaybird" to lend a line from an old Ray Stevens hit. Some are riddled with burns; others are burn free (Matt Munro).

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
Links courses really don't have one identifiable mark, except maybe the fast and firm surface.  Royal Birkdale that runs through the dunes is unlike Ballybunion that goes over them.  Royal County Down with its massive dunes is very different than Royal Liverpool, TOC or Royal North Devon which is played along rumpled ground.  At Muirfield the Sea is barely visible yet at Pennard the Sea is visible most of the time.  Formby has trees while Princes is wide open.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back