News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Why are they abandoning Mirasol?
« on: March 09, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
It's one of the few modern courses I enjoy watching the big boys play.

Does anyone know why they are moving to PGA National (that's what I thought they said) next year? I guess the logical reason is money.

Does anyone know what the so-called marching orders for Fazio were? Has he built any other courses like this, with the wild pushed up domed greens (preferrably near Pittsburgh :))?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Don Dinkmeyer

Re:Why are they abandoning Mirasol?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:53:08 PM »
My understanding - the event came to Mirasol to help them build/sell houses on the course, which went faster than they thought. So they did not need the exposure anymore.

At least part of the reason(s), I think.

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 07:14:50 PM »
I read that the pros often criticized the greens at Mirasol as well.  God forbid a ball gets shrugged off a domed green.  I'm not sure if this has made some of the stars hesitant to play it.  

rgkeller

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 07:26:31 PM »
The contract expired after four years.

The mutual option for another four years was not exercised for several reasons. The problem that could not be overcome was the antipathy that developed between Mirasol development management and the title sponsor.

The pros will like the Champions course at PGA National better because they will be able to slop it around and still shoot in the sixties.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 11:06:14 AM »
 PALM BEACH GARDENS · You would think Todd Hamilton would have fond memories of the Country Club at Mirasol's Sunrise course.

Hamilton's first PGA Tour win was the 2004 Honda Classic, which was the first time the tournament was played here.

Quote from Todd Hamilton:

While Hamilton didn't come close to defending his title last year, he did make the cut and finished tied for 34th.

But after shooting a 6-over 78 in Thursday's first round, Hamilton said the love is gone.

"The more you play it the worse this course gets," Hamilton said.

"I didn't know any better the first year. Now I know what kind of course it is.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 11:40:51 AM »
The players don't like the course.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:41:04 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JSlonis

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 11:50:26 AM »
Ask Len Mattiace!   ;) :o :P :'(

Ted Curtis

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:06:06 PM »
PGA National has been craving a tournament since the PGA Senior's Championship left there a few years ago. Mirasol really only got the course, like someone else here said, to help sell houses.

And remember that the place is also the headquarters for the PGA of America and there's something to be said for the attempts to re-create some brotherly love between the PGA Tour and the PGA of America...

Now, having played the Champion Course at PGA National this morning, I'll tell you that the pros will enjoy it.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 05:13:08 PM »
I think it's a shame. Looking at the Honda leaderboard, there's more variety on it, in terms of player types, than most tourneys.

Tough greens are the ultimate defense and separator, along with firm playing conditions. They allow all types of golfers to compete on a relatively level playing field and reward the best all around golfer, not just the bomber with the hot putter.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tony Ristola

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 02:58:22 PM »
I agree George.
Ogilvy gave the course a great compliment, stating (paraphrasing) the course makes you think, it's not like playing darts as we do at most courses out here.

John_Cullum

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 09:43:26 AM »
Mirasol appears to be a pretty tough place to make a living. Tour players don't mind an occasional test like this, but year in-year out, Mirasol is the kind of place they will avoid.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back