News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sandman

Stairs........
« on: March 01, 2006, 12:07:58 PM »
Does anyone belong to a course that uses stairs out on the course?  If so, are they in play, are they visible, are they safe to walk on even when wet(are they built properly), what types of materials were used, do you use them, do you like them and are they in style with the golf course?  Any pictures would be much appreciated as we are talking of adding stairs in specific areas on the golf course.  Thanks in advance for any help..................

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Stairs........
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:21:07 PM »
The Stairway to Heaven (#14) at Friar's Head. The entire hole is like a stairway. The most beautiful stairway ever built.

Stairs engineered and built by Bill Talmage. You can't tell it from this image, but they turn up the dune quite fashionably. Bill is the Coore & Crenshaw of stair-building!

Also, there are tons of stairways at Pac Dunes.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 12:26:54 PM by Thomas Naccarato »

Sandman

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 12:27:31 PM »
Thomas,

Thanks for the reply and picture.  Having played Friar's Head many times, those were the first stairs that came to mind.  I feel they are more functional than attractive; however, they do  fit perfectly with the course and surrondings.  Because they do fit in they do not look out of place which is key.  Thanks again Thomas...................

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 12:31:07 PM »
From Ran's excellent writeup on Prairie Dunes:

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Curry

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 12:36:23 PM »
Stairway from Heaven, Boston Golf Club

Cheers,
Steve

Bruce Katona

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:18:52 PM »
The 10th at Yale has a set of stairs from the approach up to the green, made of railroad ties.  They are in play for a misplaced shot (speaking from experience), but really aren't for most.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 03:11:22 PM »
At Lakota Canyon, the 8th hole has about 70 stairs, but the equivalent of 100, as some steps are without stairs. I have to stop about 2/3 of the way up to catch my breath, and then when I get to the top, it takes about 2 min for the pain in my legs to subside and my heart rate to return to normal.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:16:10 PM »
The 10th at Yale has a set of stairs from the approach up to the green, made of railroad ties.  They are in play for a misplaced shot (speaking from experience), but really aren't for most.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 05:06:50 PM »
Just encountered these for the first time this past weekend...

This is the view from the back right behind the 13th green at Bandon Trails.  Notice the deep strip bunker, which actually guards most of the right side of the green...

Look carefully at the picture at about the 10 o'clock position

Here they are a little better centered...

Wow--that's optimistic thinking that anyone would want to go retrieve a ball from down there!  Perhaps that's what the caddy is for! ;) ;)

Supposedly the area is quite a bit drier in the summer, so that recoveries can be attempted from way down there, but gadzooks!  Talk about pace of play potential!

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 06:13:37 PM »
Sorry I don't have any good pics, but Pine Valley has stairs as well. I can remember they are coming off the back of #1 green and I personally was assigned to install a set coming out of the left side green bunker on #13. We built these out of railroad ties. I have done these type of stairs at other courses and yes, they can be slippery.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 06:21:40 PM »
Carl Spackler,

I'd be curious to know which stairs were original and which were added after the course was built.

Gunga la gunga.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back