News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Shanks

Scotland Itinerary
« on: February 27, 2006, 09:51:20 AM »
Hello All,

I have enjoyed following the discussions of this group for quite some time.  Now that I am able to post myself, I look forward to contributing.

Getting to the matter at hand, I am in the final stages of planning a trip for myself and 5 friends to Scotland for this May (19th to 27th).  It will be the first time any of us have been to Scotland.  We have planned this all on our own, without any tour operators.  Accordingly, I would appreciate your input on the following course itinerary:

Saturday 20th - One round at Crail Balcomie
21st- Elie (day ticket)
22nd - Jubilee and TOC
23rd - North Berwick (possibly a day ticket)
24th - Royal Aberdeen/Cruden Bay
25th - Brora (day ticket)
26th - Royal Dornoch (Championship)

The only set courses/days are TOC and Royal Dornoch.  The 24th - the day we are playing North Berwick - is a bit unsettled.  We don't know if we should spend the day on the West links or play another course in the area (i.e. Dunbar, Gullane, etc.).  That being said, most of our group likes the idea of a day ticket because of value and the ability to play the couse more than once which, hopefully, will allow us to appreciate the subtleties and nuances of the holes.  

Cutting to the chase, what, if anything, would you change from the above list?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

P.S.  Would also love to have some recommendations for pubs/restaurants in the Fife area (we are staying in St. Andrews), Aberdeen, and Dornoch.

PThomas

Re:Scotland Itinerary
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 09:58:04 AM »
welcome Jason!

I gotta ask:  is that your real last name? ???
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jason Shanks

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 10:00:05 AM »
Yes, yes it is.  I used to hide it...i.e., use fake names when I make a tee time, etc.  Now, I embrace it!  ;D

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 10:00:21 AM »
There is a wonderful Bed & Breakfast in the heart of Kingsbarns named, appropriately enough, The Barns. It is located on the main road at the point where it bends right as it enters the town & if you go straight you will take out its kitchen.

The restaurant has the best food in the area (imho) especially for an American's taste.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 10:03:47 AM »
thanks for fessing up Jason...we still welcome you ;)

and now I gotta ask:  have you ever had  a problem with the , uh, you know, ................(can't even  type that word!)

Jason Shanks

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 10:04:45 AM »
I plead the 5th (and I won't type that word either).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:05:09 AM by Jason Shanks »

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »
I thought of a potential nickname for you, whaddya think:  Flush, as in  "you really hit that shot Flush"

Matt MacIver

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 10:09:16 AM »
Jason - welcome.  

Question: do you have a guaranteed tee time at TOC or are going to ballot?  I ask as I'm in the planning stages too, but for a May 2007 trip.  

PS: Heard good things about Gullane #1 but do like the idea of multiple rounds on a single course.  I'm planning on 11 rounds in 7 days, with no re-do's.  

Jason Shanks

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 10:19:26 AM »
Matt,

Yes, I do have a set time on TOC.  

I am sure you know this, but they are doing the advanced reservations a bit differently now.  Basically, you send in your advanced reservation request form on the first wednesday of the September prior to the date you want to play (for me, that was September 2005).  The application - which can be downloaded from the St. Andrews Links Trust website - also requires you to select a second round on one of the other Links Trust courses (New, Jubilee, Eden, etc.)  They say that they will not consider any applications received prior to 12:00 a.m. (UK time) on the designated Wednesday.  I have no idea if that is true or not.  But, better safe than sorry.

I sent a range of dates and times during the week were going to be in Scotland, with a note that we preferred to play on either Monday or Friday.  It took about 6 weeks for them to respond.  I got the exact date I wanted to play...but, I had requested the required 2nd round on the New Course, and they gave me the Jubilee instead.  Not complaining mind you, just giving you the details.  

I am happy to share any/all of my planning experiences.  Feel free to ask.

-Jason

Chris_Hunt

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »
Jason:

A couple things that you might want to consider:

In St. Andrews, you might want to call and see if you could get the New instead of the Jubilee, and if you cannot get a time on the new, I would say that seeing the 8-10 cool holes on the Eden course and suffering through the new ones would be more worthwhile than visiting the Jubilee.  The other two courses have amazing stuff that is a century old, while the Jubilee is recently redone.

The way your itinerary is set up currently, you will have about 2.5 hours of driving from SA to North Berwick, followed by maybe 3.5 hours of driving from North Berwick to Aberdeen.  This is certainly doable, but as you obviously know, North Berwick is quite out of the way with respect to your other selections.  Well worth the visit and that drive perhaps, but well out of the way also.

Have fun!

Jason Shanks

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 10:56:31 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts.  For some reason, I had it in my mind that North Berwick was only about 1.5 hours from St. Andrews.  While another hour is not that much in the grand scheme of things, it is certainly worth considering.  And, frankly, in addition to playing North Berwick, one of the reasons we were wanting to head that direction for one day was that we could stop in Edinburgh after golf for dinner and to see a bit of the city.  FYI - We are planning on leaving the next morning to drive to Aberdeen.

Assuming we did not go to North Berwick, what course(s) would you recommend in the Fife area?  And, so you know, some of our group are playing Kingsbarns already, so I am looking for suggestions other than that course.  From what I have read, considerations would be Lundin, Leven, and perhaps another round at Crail or the St. Andrews courses.

Thanks, Jason
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:57:04 AM by Jason Shanks »

Jason Shanks

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »
Paul, I like that nickname.  It would be much better to hear "Now on the tee, the Flush group"...as oppsed to "the Shanks group" which is met with more than a few snickers and people ducking for cover.

-Jason

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 11:03:25 AM »
Jason and Chris,

I am not quite sure what Chris means when he said the Jubillee "has recently been done." I do know that as charming as the Eden can be, the holes built by Steele at the far end of the course might well bring tears to your eyes.

The Jubilee has been around for over a hundred years and is quite possibly the toughest test in the town by far.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 11:05:41 AM »
Jason:

Did you consider Carnoustie and/or Muirfield?  Both are experiences not to be missed... But both have logistical "issues" as well.

Do heed the advice re driving times, also.  My experience is however long you think it's gonna take, add 25% at least.  And go through Edinburgh only at your most patient... ever driven through the city of San Francisco?  It's like that only slower and with more traffic.

BTW, a night spent in Edinburgh will be WELL worth your while... incredible bar scene... go during a festival or when college students are around and it will be a feast for the eyes, in a Scottish way.   ;)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »
Jason, that sounds like a wonderful trip!

You and I should team up in a best ball match...Sweet-Shanks!

I've played with Bob Short
I've played with Charlie Sauer

But never a Shanks
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jason Shanks

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »
Tom, we attempted Muirfield, but to no avail.  For whatever reason, no one in our group was dying to play Carnoustie.  Perhaps because it is not a typical "seaside links"?  But, that being said, if we skip going to East Lothian, Carnoustie is a great suggestion.

Chris_Hunt

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 11:17:44 AM »
Jason:

It might take less than 2 hours to NB from SA, but you probably want to be conservative in your estimates--Never know what traffic will be like around the bridge and Edinburgh, etc.  

Bob:  I believe the Jubilee was renovated in the early part of this decade, and has been rerouted a couple times.  I do not know exactly what has been done, but various friends report that it lacks some 'authenticity.'

Unfortunately, there probably isn't any course closer to the Fife area that I would rather play than NB, but the best would include Gleneagles (K&Q), Carnoustie (not a favorite), Ladybank, Panmure, or Lundin.  It might make sense to try and get on the ballot for a second round at TOC with a back up at another Fife club.  That is what I might do, but I really love TOC and I have also been to North Berwick a half dozen times as well... :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 11:27:56 AM »
Tom, we attempted Muirfield, but to no avail.  For whatever reason, no one in our group was dying to play Carnoustie.  Perhaps because it is not a typical "seaside links"?  But, that being said, if we skip going to East Lothian, Carnoustie is a great suggestion.

Yeah, Muirfield is a tough call.  Although they do now have on-line booking, as you likely saw if one doesn't plan over a year in advance (outside of dead winter) one doesn't get a slot.  Tour operators have ways of making it happen, but you do pay for their services.  As for Carnoustie, I had the same reservations about it initially... but having been there twice now, it's grown on me.  It is pretty damn expensive though, and they change seasonally on whether hotel stay is required to play.

Hell you have a damn fine itin just how it is - you're gonna have a blast.  Just thought I'd ask about those two.

TH

Brian Phillips

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 11:29:44 AM »
Bob:  I believe the Jubilee was renovated in the early part of this decade, and has been rerouted a couple times.  I do not know exactly what has been done, but various friends report that it lacks some 'authenticity.'

The course was redone by Steel & Co. or at least a couple of holes were.  The 15th is definitely a Steel hole.  I like the hole but cannot stand the course...one of the most boring slogs in golf.

I would also recommend playing The New course. I also agree with Chris that Gleneagles is worth a visit if you can afford the greenfee.

If you are looking for a middle range price the Crail is good, Scotscraig or hook up with FBD for a cheap round at his course and lots of talk...lots of talk... ;)

As, I have mentioned before on other threads that is some driving you are going to be doing in a short space of time....good luck!!

Carnoustie is definitely a links and the toughest course I have played in Britain.  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:30:07 AM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 11:34:36 AM »
Just to keep on the name thing, my nickname in high school was Jason Shank.  We would make a good team as well.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 11:40:53 AM »
Jason -

Since I'm going in May 2007 I am going to pre-apply for a set time, but I was under the impression that I need to get my application in NOW and they will hold it until Sept. 06, and then book times based on the order received.....are you saying that they WON'T accept my application until then? (so I needn't EMAIL it until then?!)  Thanks.  

Jason Shanks

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 12:04:53 PM »
Matt (and Sean),

I believe that you are correct, that is, to obtain a tee time in 2007, you must send in your reservations request form on or after the first Wednesday of September 2006.  The Links Trust was very responsive to my emails, so I would recommend sending an email to confirm that my understanding is accurate.

No payment is required at the time you apply for an advanced reservation.  If successful, you will receive a "provisional" tee time reservation, which will be fully confirmed upon payment of your fees for both your round on TOC and the other Links Trust course.  *Note that the payment, which was right at $300 for both, is nonrefundable.

-Jason

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »
Jason,
Any chance you are descended from the Shanks in England? I understand they were very significant in the game of golf during the teens and twenties. I have a couple of Shanks clubs, one od which is a Spoon which has been in my current play set for 7-8 years. If you want to see it go to: http://www.hickorygolf.com/inthebagmedia/Ralph3.html. The main pro who's clubs you can find is J. Shanks (John).
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jason Shanks

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 01:05:46 PM »
Ralph,

Thanks for the response.  That is very interesting information.

My direct answer is, however, I don't know.  The geneology research that my family has done goes as far back as about the 1500's.  At that point, my ancestors were in Scotland.  In the early 1600's, they migrated into Northern Ireland.  First Shanks in our family to make it to the U.S. was "James" Shanks who landed in Jamestown (not kidding) in the late 1600's.  Now, I am in Texas.  

I have a young daughter now - my first - and with her has come an "itch" to track down the particulars of my ancestry.  Now, I am even more intrigued.

Thanks,

Jason

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 01:16:40 PM »

At that point, my ancestors were in Scotland.

Jason,
you will have the utmost pleasure of seeing your illustrious surname on many occasions during your visit. A venerable old Scottish firm indeed, whose name is on practically every old piece of 'vitreous china' in the land. (Think 'Kohler' and you won't be far away). ;D

They're now merged with Armitage:

http://www.armitage-shanks.co.uk/

Please get in touch if you have time to golf 'away from the Links'!

Cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back