News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Brown

Great courses in remote places
« on: February 14, 2006, 07:16:08 PM »
Will we continue to see special courses built in remote places by developers who just love the game, or wil we reach a saturation point?

Where might new courses be built that has dramatic land?

Smyers is doing a links type course in Iceland.

How much more pressure is there when you build a new course in Scotland, the homeland of the game?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 07:16:43 PM by Mark Brown »

Tom_Doak

Re:Great courses in remote places
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:49:13 PM »
Mark:  Is that the same course that Faldo is doing in Iceland?  Which of them is doing it?

I believe there will come a saturation point of "destination" clubs.  Hopefully we haven't reached it yet, but there are only so many people who will pay $5000 a year in dues for a course they only visit once or twice a year.  However, I believe that the world of "destination" resorts still has a lot of growing room, especially in places around the world where people are keen to travel.  They just have to be affordable for the local golfers to be successful.  [Barnbougle is, Kidnappers isn't.]  If a great course in Iceland or Croatia or Argentina is affordable, it will be successful.

PS  I'm about to find out if there is more pressure working in Scotland, since our Archerfield project has been approved.  Personally, I don't feel any pressure, but I know that Americans' expectations will be higher for us there.  

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:51:58 PM »
Tom and Mark-

I have heard Apache Stronghold is in a pretty remote location.  Is this true or is that just a rumor?

(I have never played or been there...)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 07:52:13 PM by Jordan Wall »

Evan_Green

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »
Apache is 90 mins from Phoenix. Its a "haul" if you are staying in Scottsdale as opposed to the other courses in the area, but not remote in the sense of Iceland!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 08:36:51 PM by Evan_Green »

Mark Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:41:31 PM »
Tom,

As of a week or so ago Smyers had the job. I haven't heard about Faldo doing anything there.

Faldo tries to take credit for Chart Hills in England, when it was 90% Smyers. And Chart Hills has received high marks.
Has anyone played it?

Good distinction between designing holes and being an architect. I have designed one course but without my partner I wouldn't even attempt to construct a course. I'm learning but I have a long way to go.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 09:44:51 PM »
Mark:  There is a note about Faldo doing a project in the dunes of Iceland in the latest issue of that new European mag on Golf Course Architecture.  I thought they might be collaborating, and I was a bit surprised to hear it, I didn't think they were on the best of terms.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back