News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Baby Sister Courses..
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 09:51:25 AM »
For those in Philadelphia, how about Karakung to Cobbs Creek? ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jordan Wall

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 09:51:56 AM »
Does Bear Mountain to Caplino count??

Castle Pines to Cherry Hills maybe

Wild Horse to Sand Hills[/color]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 09:53:56 AM by Jordan Wall »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 09:52:30 AM »
Steve,

Cobb's Creek Olde to Walnut Lane may be more like it.  :)

I was waiting for you to say Talamore to Squire's... (or Horsham Valley to Talamore...  ;))

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 10:07:32 AM »
Quail Crossing gets better every day.

Ah yes, according to Mike Young it's a myth thang.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Mandel

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 10:15:32 AM »
Mid-Pines as the baby sister to Pine Needles.
Merion to Pine Valley
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 10:16:04 AM »
Tobacco Road is the burger joint which outclasses the Michelin rated Deuce.  

Nice!  ;)

(dirty little secret that is not mentioned in polite society---which would you rather play? TR!)

When looking at the cost to play either I would have to agree....If cost is not a factor Tobacco Road becomes a ghost town.  Forrest Creek is the true little sister of the Pinehurst region...I was even guilty of that one day.

John K

When are yoozguise gonna get it?  One way or another, money always matters.

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 10:16:16 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

john_stiles

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 10:32:07 AM »
Baby sister or baby daughter ?   Lookout Mountain's baby daughter is Black Creek.

Augusta CC and ANGC;  same land, one is great to play, the other great to walk and watch on TV

Palmetto GC and Aiken GC

John Kirk

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 01:09:42 PM »
Pasatiempo is Cypress Point's little sister.  Same architect, couple years younger, less dramatic locale, not quite as snazzy.

Doug Wright

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2006, 02:42:03 PM »
The New Course to The Old Course
Dooks to Waterville
Brora to Royal Dornoch
Sanctuary to Castle Pines
Devils Thumb to Redlands Mesa
Talking Stick South to Talking Stick North
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 02:43:06 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt MacIver

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 02:52:59 PM »
#4 to #2 (although #7 and #8 could be substituted)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2006, 03:04:23 PM »
Prince's to Sandwich

RJ_Daley

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2006, 03:59:16 PM »
Yes, John Kirk.  I also think that to be a baby sister, you have to have a blood line relationship.

As cited, CCofC to Yeaman's Hall-Raynor
Southern Pines or Mid Pines, to Needles, Ross
Red to Black, Bethpage, Tillie
WH design builders, to contruction workers SH, the boys
West Bend, to Lawsonia, Langford
Pasa to CPC, Mac
Shoreacres or Blue Mound to Chicago, C.B-Raynor
#2 to #4 or the others, Pinehurst, Ross
True Blue to TR or Caledonia, Strantz

There are plenty of little sisters...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »
How about one where through renovation the little sister grows up and kicks the big sister's ass?

I give you Fort Ord Bayonet and Blackhorse.

TH

Brent Hutto

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2006, 04:43:16 PM »
True Blue to TR or Caledonia, Strantz

Actually, I considered posting Caledonia as a little sister to True Blue.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2006, 06:28:33 PM »
How about one where through renovation the little sister grows up and kicks the big sister's ass? I give you Fort Ord Bayonet and Blackhorse. TH

Blackhorse better than Bayonet? I played both in October of last year and don't think Blackhorse is up to that challenge. The extended tees definitely help Blackhorse compete for toughness, but it doesn't compete in design with all those dog leg lefts or black forests on Bayonet. Also you mentioned #12 in another post, did they move the tee to the right? I got to play it the old way the last time, it was much better. I heard they are changing #11 also.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »
Tim:

It was a stretch, for sure.  And I didn't mean necessarily BETTER, just perhaps TOUGHER.  The recent renovations have emasculated Bayonet while at the same time strengthening Blackhorse incredibly.

Re #12 Bayonet, yes, the back tee is way to the right and a little back from the old tee, making it play pretty much straight from there.  I refuse to play it it's so stupid.  But even more horrible is they have removed/cut back damn near all of the trees... and that is what made it one of the world's great unique golf holes back in the day... I've described it many times in here, but in essence as it was before, you had a tee shot that either was a slinging hook of at least 250 up a mountain (not something most mortals can do), or had to be hit into a box - one could be blocked by going too far, too short, too right, too left.  It was a freakin' bitch and absolutely unique.

It's all gone now.  Oh it's still a decent hole, still tough... but especially from that new tee, all uniqueness is gone.

Thus the weeping.  MOST courses do better with less trees.  Bayonet was all about the trees... dammit don't get me started again.

:'(

BTW, #11 got a new tee also, same principle - down to the right making for a straight hole.  I also refuse to play that one.

TH

Sean Leary

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2006, 07:01:34 PM »
TH,

Is 11 the one where you almost can see the green to the left but the trees are straight away? If so where is the new tee box?  Maybe I only know the new tee box.  I do know the two sets of tees on 12.  From the left tee is one of the hardest holes I've ever played.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2006, 07:07:39 PM »
11 is (was) a sharp dogleg left with the second shot going downhill and then back up a little to the green.  The tee was just a bit to the right of 10 green, behind a stand of trees.  A fairway was out there to the right, with big trees in the crux of the dogleg.  The choices were either an iron out into that fairway, leaving a long second shot, or a driver over the trees, leaving a lot shorter shot in if successful.  It was always weird how one really never could go too far left.  Weird but great golf hole.

The new tee is down and to the right of the old one - perhaps 50 yards or so straight across from 10 green.  It makes the hole play basically straight.  It's eminently fair, but eminently boring.

Sean Leary

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2006, 07:39:13 PM »
Got it. How new is the tee box? I played it about a year ago and it seemed to be the same as the last few times I played it.

The first couple of times I played it I went over the trees and thought , hell I shoulda gone farther left.  Last time I went too far left. Certainly some quirk on that hole.....

David Kelly

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2006, 09:13:20 PM »
For me, Bandon Dunes to Pacific Dunes.  Bandon is the nice looking girl who gets eclipsed by the gorgeous younger sister.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2006, 10:22:35 AM »
Got it. How new is the tee box? I played it about a year ago and it seemed to be the same as the last few times I played it.

The first couple of times I played it I went over the trees and thought , hell I shoulda gone farther left.  Last time I went too far left. Certainly some quirk on that hole.....

Sean - the new tees on 11 and 12 have each been there for at least five years.   In each case the old tees still exist though - they are just not the farthest back tees.  They are also WAY more fun and in each case more difficult, although they are shorter!

On 11, you've run the circle... that is, each time you play it you go more and more left, until you finally figure out the limit.  It is a VERY quirky hole - particularly from the old tee - which it seems you must have been playing... the new gold tee has to be sought out and wouldn't call so much for a shot over the trees.

David K - VERY well said re Bandon/Pacific!  Eclipsed by the gorgeous younger sister...

TH

redanman

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2006, 10:32:41 AM »
Lehigh CC has the baby triplets in Saucon Valley. :)    :)  (that was for my homer buddy Mark Fine! !!! !!!!)

Actually, 2 courses that you should not miss when visiting (pick your choice) any of the above  (if you can) are Harker's Hollow - amazing routing (Phillipsburgh, NJ) and Northampton CC (Easton,PA), both by Robert White.  Mr White was and is an underappreciated unknown to most, even here.  

All six of those courses are within :30 of each other.

wsmorrison

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2006, 10:33:23 AM »
I'm not sure if we are referring to the club as a whole or about the golf courses in particular.  I think the distinction is clear enough.  Is the topic worthwhile enough?  Well that is another question.

If it is worthwhile, how about the pecking order in the Chicago district?  I am led to believe that as far as clubs are concerned, the top of the pyramid is Chicago Golf Club.  I've been informed that Glen View Club is up near the top.  But frankly, I have no idea in terms of club or course what are the big and little sisters.

In Philadelphia, it really does matter if you refer to the overall club or the course.  A somewhat interesting exercise would be a look at courses other than Merion and Pine Valley.

redanman

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2006, 10:41:28 AM »
JK - I would have to say that Hidden Creek is the baby sister of Atlantic City CC. Although it may have two little sisters, HC and Galloway Nat'l.

I have never heard anyone on this site get excited about a destination trip to Galloway or Atlantic City CC...I'd have to say they are the little sisters to Hidden Creek if anything at all.  Is that area of New York/New Jersey that dead.

How about Hidden Creek/ Galloway National / Atlantic City is the baby sister to Pine Valley?  How close do they have to be?  NJ to NJ.

All three are worthy side trips if going tothe valley.  My taste is AC>HC=GN

There are a lot of very nice courses in A.C. New Jersey, none are really top notch, there is a lat of local debate/ polarization as to just how great Hidden Creek is.  

GN is one of Fazio's better efforts.  

Blue Heron Pines (East) is a fine Smyers.

Hidden Creek is fun but not a certified great course, perhaps Atlantic City is, but there are the detractors for there too, especially those that look at the card and think "low seventies" (with a five hcp.) and finish mid-eighties.  ;)

That's the south Jersey "cream".

Plenty of other fun courses Vineyards at Renault, Twisted Dune, Sand Barrens, etc., etc.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2006, 02:31:09 PM »
Lehigh CC has the baby triplets in Saucon Valley. :)    :)  (that was for my homer buddy Mark Fine! !!! !!!!)

Actually, 2 courses that you should not miss when visiting (pick your choice) any of the above  (if you can) are Harker's Hollow - amazing routing (Phillipsburgh, NJ) and Northampton CC (Easton,PA), both by Robert White.  Mr White was and is an underappreciated unknown to most, even here.  

All six of those courses are within :30 of each other.

Bill V-
I have yet to see a hill or valley that Robert White was bashful about routing a golf hole, up, down or around.
I'm guessing Northampton CC is private?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back