News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Golf Course Archeology...literally!
« on: February 08, 2006, 11:00:58 AM »
Any guess what would turn up at an archeological dig at a golf course from the 1900-1930 period?

A few haskells?
A few hickories?
Tom Paul's first junior set?

An early prototype for a golf cart? (driving by a gang of horses, of course)...

Has any golf course actually done something like this?

TEPaul

Re:Golf Course Archeology...literally!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:21:02 AM »
"Any guess what would turn up at an archeological dig at a golf course from the 1900-1930 period?"

Sure I can, and it's not a guess. If anyone wanted to go into the faces and surrounds of some bunkers and some other areas of courses that were somewhat unstable in the past an archaelogical dig would turn up something akin to a dump.

And I'm not talking about second tier courses, I'm even talking about the Merions and Pine Valleys.

In the old days and particularly "in-house" they couldn't have cared less what they used as long as it worked. What difference would it make if it was buried anyway?

I'm not going to name the famous course but this is precisely the thing that inspired them to do some architectural work. The thought was if anyone happened to uncover by accident what was under some features the course might've been considered a junk yard or something----and they sure didn't want to risk that perception.  ;)

If anyone is interested in this subject they should talk to some of the old supers. They think it's funny---and of course it is. The point, though, is it worked!  ;)

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:22:26 AM »
One of the first times I played Dornoch (1978-79) the whole hillside of ex-gorse to the right of the 11th fairway was burnt to cinders.  One of the greenkeeeprs (RIP) who had an IQ lower than the course rating had decided to light a fire to keep himelf warm....   Naturally I "decided" to hit an overly angular power fade off the tee and found myself walking up to look for my ball in the charred space.  It was not more than a few seconds when I spotted it.  Unfortunately "it" was a Spalding Blue Dot or a Slazenger Alf Padgett, or something of those ilks, and I was playing a Maxfli.  Then I saw another, and then another!  Titleists, Dunlops, Commado(e)s, Screaming Betty's, even some that seemed to be made of feathers and bore the stamp of Alan Robertson (sic?).  I looked for at least 3 minutes and saw at leat 500 balls, but not my Maxfli.  The ash ruined the hell out of my white buck Dexters--what a waste of time!

JESII

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 11:27:22 AM »
Rich,

The famous Rocky Carbone refers to that as "room temperature IQ.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 11:44:04 AM »
Even courses from much later can yield a few surprises. Here's two from the construction of Kingsbarns in 1998-9.

The land where the new course was built, and the existing nine hole course, was confiscated by the British government during WW II because it presented a potential landing site for a German invasion. They set-up barbed wire, fencing, cement blocks and laid land mines throughout.

After the war everything was cleared out, or so they thought. When construction was underway, a tracot ran over an unexploded mine, blowing it up and scaring the hell out of the operator.

Down by where the 16th tee is located, a road meanders down to the Ness. During construction they found a bone and called in a local archeaologist. What they had discovered was an intact skeleton of a young lady in a small coffen or 'cist' made of large flat stones. What astounded everyone was to learning that she had lived some 500 years before Jesus and was a near perfect example of someone from the "bronze age."
Both skeleton and cist were sent to the Glasgow University for forensic archaeological examination. To this day there isn’t a stone or marker of any kind to show where she was laid to rest.

Finally, when plans were made for the 18th green, it was decided that a small burn should be directly in front of it and that a bridge would be built right of the green. When they began to excavate for the watercourse, they were stunned to find that there was actually an ancient man-made watercourse, a 'condie' complete with stonework and cover running exactly where they were digging and running exactly where they wanted to go.

Further up the course they then unearthed the remains of an old stone bridge that had been built by the Romans. Both were restored and sit on the exact locations where they would have built new.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 12:03:47 PM »
You want to hear some golf archaelogy?

My mother who died at 87 a couple of years ago used to play golf almost exactly once a year.

When the spirit would move her that one time a year she'd get me to take her over to GMGC (from which she resigned).

The last time she ever played I had to go up into the attic and get her clubs out. On the first tee she asked me to give her a ball and I fished into the ball pocket of her bag and out came one of those old balls that had a black dog on it that was last made sometime just after WW2.

I just put that one in my pocket and gave her one of my balls.  ;)

That was the last time she ever played golf and you know what the cool thing was? She played just so beautifully and she was just thrilled. Although she couldn't have known it at the time----what a great way to end the playing of the game for an old gal like her. As we walked off the golf course and drove away the thought did occur to me that that might be the last time she'd ever swing a club or hit a ball or be on a golf course after all those years. It was sort of a spooky feeling for me and it turned out to be true. In retrospect I'm glad that was her last time and that it ended that way.

Mark Hissey

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 12:22:06 PM »
We actually found a number of really old balls on the property line of NGLA and Sebonack. The ones that were actually unearthed were extremely old.

I may have mentioned this before, but we also found sand pits which had been dug on Sebonack right next to the second fairway of NGLA. It may well have been the mining operation for the original bunker sand for National.

peter_p

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 01:41:30 AM »
I had an epihany. Were the "scholars holes" in the original 1744 rules of golf actually archaelogical digs?

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 02:23:03 AM »
Possible Peter, but unlikely, as archaeology was not an accepted "scholarly" exercise until well into the 19th century.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back