News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

People in the Bay Area/and connecting with locals in general
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:58:26 PM »
Sitting at home on my day off, and wishing I were out on the course, I realize, again, that GCA is a perfect place to meet other like-minded golfers who live nearby.

At the same time I've always felt somewhat uncomfortable using a GCA post to meet people - not for access to private clubs, but just to meet people to go play golf with. I know it's off topic, but it would be pretty unfortunate if I never connect with a group of golfers who live near me.

So, three topics:

1) If you're around San Francisco (I'm in the city), I'd enjoy hearing from you.

2) Would it ever be possible to add a search function to GCA so that we could all connect with others in our local area?

3) How do people feel about posts like this? Acceptable? Welcome? Too off-topic?

~Matt
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:59:33 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Tucker Davis

Re:People in the Bay Area/and connecting with locals in general
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 02:11:09 PM »
matt,

I am not in your area,,,I'm in Memphis

But,  I think some type of search function would be very helpful, but I dont know how that would work

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »
Hi Matt:

There are two different threads - Who Are You Guys - you can find them by going to the stats page, under most views.  Those are great places to see who's who around here, where people live, etc.

And we do have a pretty strong greater Bay Area contingent.  It's been a lot of fun getting together over the years.

BUT - yes it is weird, and most of us have great stories explaining the whys and what fors of these gatherings to our loved ones.   ;)

In any case, just monitor here as for big and small outings being planned.  I don't think it's at all out of place to ask your questions, nor is it to use the space for working out details of such.  Ran has said he doesn't mind, although at times it does bug others... Heck by my reckoning the positives outweigh the negatives by such a large margin it's silly to complain about.

As for access issues, well yes such are touchy.  It remains bad form to post something like "I'm heading to Clementon, NJ - where should I play?"  But we know you won't do that.  Many complain about this place being "golf club access" and well, there surely have been abuses.  But just show class and common sense and there will be no problems.

In any case, in the short term best bet is this:  attend KP-V!  I'd guess most if not all Bay Area stalwarts will attend.  Hell we may do some sort of practice outing before then.  Then once you attend one of those, other things tend to naturally occur.

The friendships made through this site remain a great strength of it.  Great to have you aboard here, Matt.

TH

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 02:12:58 PM »

At the same time I've always felt somewhat uncomfortable using a GCA post to meet people - not for access to private clubs, but just to meet people to go play golf with. I know it's off topic, but it would be pretty unfortunate if I never connect with a group of golfers who live near me.

So, three topics:

1) If you're around San Francisco (I'm in the city), I'd enjoy hearing from you.

Matt -

Darn, you beat me to my own New Year's Resolution.

I'm in San Francisco, but would hasten to say I'm part of the NorCal contingent on this site.  Frankly, I've made a very poor effort to introduce myself to others here, and... well it's high time I do that.  You've set a good example, and I would love to make your (and others) acquaintance in person.  

Probably best to arrange specifics off-line so I look forward to connecting via email, etc.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 02:18:48 PM »
Hi Matt:

There are two different threads - Who Are You Guys - you can find them by going to the stats page, under most views.  Those are great places to see who's who around here, where people live, etc.
TH

Hello to my 'friends' in the Bay Area but what this London poster wants to know is where is the stats page?

Also around Christmas someone tried to get us all to log onto a special google feature that showed who lived where.  I thought it was interesting but was disspointed that only a couple of hundred bothered/wanted to.  Thread link anyone?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:21:06 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 02:29:12 PM »
Tony - when you first get to the Discussion Group main page, click on "More Stats."

Wayne - sounds like high time we had a Bay Area-specific gathering.  That's certainly more or less what's happening at KP-V - the idea is still NorCal v. SoCal unless Tommy breaks with tradition - so we need you guys!

Outside of that, well present events make it look like I do this kinda thing all the time.  Sadly I don't - my life doesn't allow it.  John Krystynak, Mike Benham, Ed Getka, hell Dan King - they are all far better at this than I am.

But we do need to make something happen.  We shall see how the winds blow....

TH

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 02:38:55 PM »
Thanks Tom

Judging by the no of posts and hits the board has been a lot more active in both ways during the last 6 months.  Innaresting.

Also it seems the group gets 50% more hits Mon-Fri, shouldn't you guys be working? ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:44:20 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 02:51:02 PM »
Matt,

There was a thread a little while back, in December I think, that allowed GCA'ers to locate themselves on a Google world map. Nearly 200 people posted before interest waned. I have a link to it on my home computer, which I'll try to add to this reply when I get home.

TK

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 02:51:16 PM »
Tony, I think you are thinking about the "Frapper" map at http://www.frappr.com/golfclubatlas This is an interesting gadget and I'd love to see more members of this group pinpointed on the map...I am in Portland Oregon US and would certainly enjoy meeting up with some of the GCA folks in the area...Last week, I tried to tell my wife why it was imperative to blow off work and the weekend to get to Bandon on short notice, but THAT didn't fly!...And as far as access is concerned, anyone who is visiting Portland are more than welcome to contact me and I will arrange for a foursome on one of our fine local Munis  ;)

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 02:52:14 PM »
That's it.
Thanks Jim.

TK

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »
Tony,

A direct link...GCA Frappr
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:55:19 PM by Evan_Fleisher »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 03:27:24 PM »
Tony - when you first get to the Discussion Group main page, click on "More Stats." Wayne - sounds like high time we had a Bay Area-specific gathering.  That's certainly more or less what's happening at KP-V - the idea is still NorCal v. SoCal unless Tommy breaks with tradition - so we need you guys!
Outside of that, well present events make it look like I do this kinda thing all the time.  Sadly I don't - my life doesn't allow it.  John Krystynak, Mike Benham, Ed Getka, hell Dan King - they are all far better at this than I am. But we do need to make something happen.  We shall see how the winds blow....
TH

I am new to the board also, live in Sacto but play in the bay area alot and would be interested in any Nocal golf outings. Not familiar with KP-V, is there a link to more info on that.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »
Very cool!

There is a thread on KP-V - it's not that far down - check it out.  There will be more info coming soon.  Make it happen!  We do need a strong NorCal contingent.

TH

John Keenan

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
Matt

Drop me am IM sound like a good idea I'm up for it not sure if my game is :-)

John Keenan
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 09:40:14 AM »
Tom, Matt,
I can not attend KP-V, but I like the idea of a Bay Area gathering.  If interested, I will look into setting up a group of times for a one day Friday or Saturday outing.  Poppy Ridge would be logical, sort of in between for south and north bay residents.      

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 10:52:16 AM »
Hey Steve - sounds like a hell of an idea - only remember Poppy Ridge is HATED by the cognoscenti here.  I have nothing against it and play it all the time - just remember the audience here.  A better choice might be Metropolitan Golf Links or Monarch Bay or jeez, why don't we try to set something up at Callippe Preserve so that we can all knock that off once and for all?  I'm sure some will hate it, but we'll manage to have fun.

;D

John Keenan

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 11:23:52 AM »
Another vote for a Bay Area outing.

Though I live in the East Bay and both Poppy and the new Pleasanton course are great for me in an effort to get Marin/Sonoma as well as SF based folks might Metro. be better ?  Very close to Bay Bridge and a short run from the always lovely Richmond/San Rafel  bridge.

Another option SF is Glen Eagles

my 2 cents

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 11:26:57 AM »
Hi John - heck either of those are great by me.  Given my life god knows if I'll be able to attend anyway, so I sure as hell shouldn't be doing the planning or giving too much advice.

The only reticence I'd have about Gleneagles is if there is a large group... the don't give reserved tee times there, do they?

Mike Benham

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 11:28:25 AM »
Another vote for a Bay Area outing.

Though I live in the East Bay and both Poppy and the new Pleasanton course are great for me in an effort to get Marin/Sonoma as well as SF based folks might Metro. be better ?  Very close to Bay Bridge and a short run from the always lovely Richmond/San Rafel  bridge.

Another option SF is Glen Eagles

my 2 cents

Have you played Callipe in Pleasanton?  If so, please tell, no one has been brave enough to kiss and tell about it ...

And I know you mean Gleneagles ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 11:41:43 AM »
Gentlemen:

Permit me to call your collective bluff. I will offer to secure 2 (and possibly 3) teetimes at Callipe Preserve on Saturday morning, March 4.

Callipe Preserve is the new course in Pleasanton, near the intersection of 580 & 680. As no one will admit to having played it yet, this event will enable us to do so on a collective basis and then adjourn for a refreshing beverage (and possibly lunch as well) to meet each other and discuss the course.  

Who is interested in attending?

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 11:46:36 AM »
I am in.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 11:50:50 AM »
David:

Understand tee times there are exceedingly tough to get at this point - not to doubt you, but well remember my first name....  ;)  I've tried a few times to get a time there and each time have failed.  I shudder to think what would be required for 2-3 times on a Saturday morning.

But hey, if you can make this happen, hell yes I am in!.  I see no reason why I can't do it at this point, and planning way ahead is the coin of my realm.  You also just happened to pick a very good, doable date for me.

;D

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 11:59:03 AM »
Tom -

I should have said I will ATTEMPT to secure 2 or 3 teetimes on March 4! I do have a third party connection to the powers that be who operate the course. Give me a week or two to see if I can come up with something.

By the way, it is great to hear the course is getting a lot of play. Somebody must like it!

DT  

John Keenan

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »
I'm in as well

Mr. Benham

I have not played it but have heard good things about it. I seem to remember hearing that there was some vandalism on one of the greens but my guess is that has been repaired.

Yes I was referring to Gleneagles thanks for the catch

John

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »
David:

Cool.  I figured you must have some sort of connection.  Absent that, yes tee-times are still at a premium.

I'm not sure if this is because people particularly like this, however, or just because it's new.  Of course we have such a dire per capita number of courses, even the worst remain pretty full - hell one can't get a decent time at THE RANCH even still.

In any case, I am very prepared to like the golf course... it takes something pretty awful for me to NOT.

Here's hoping we make this happen, at ANY course - it is long overdue.

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back