News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Royal Melbourne West (pictures)
« on: January 23, 2006, 02:41:53 PM »
Here are some pictures of this much discussed, great course. I have labelled holes from a hazy memory - if I am erred please correct me!

I was a bit unlucky in my timing as the course was in a pretty dreadful state following the problems on the greens (In passing - maybe one day my collection of "temporary" score cards from both courses at Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath in December 2005 will be of huge value!) The 5th was out of play and there were about four other temporary greens. That said, it was still a fantastic experience to see the course, and the club itself was extremely welcoming.

What is most difficult to convey in pictures is the sweeping feeling of the course - the product of a clever routing over rolling terrain. ( partly conveyed by the backward looking photos on 4? and 12). That is the strongest visual impression I carried away.

Similar to Kingston Heath, I was struck - but not disappointed  ;) - at the course's relative lack of length, at least from the tees I played. Also, quite a few blind shots. The course has quite a distinctive look - more tea trees and fewer eucalyptus than some of the other Melbourne courses.

In truth when you have heard so much about a course before you play it, it is quite difficult to stand back from the whole experience. Suffice to say that even though I did not see the course at its best, I can't wait to play it again.

Looking back at clubhouse from first. Tee box is back left, the green in view is the 18th on the East.

2nd or 3rd green

Looking back at 4th fairway

5th hole

Tee shot on 6

6 from the bend in dogleg

6th approach

Drive on 8 to green in back right. Green to the left is the first on the East course.

The drive on 9

9 from behind the green

Looking back at 10 from the big bunker

Looking back at 12 fairway

Short 13th

??

The "short" 16th

Drive on 18

18th green

Mark Brown

Re:Royal Melbourne West (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 02:58:31 PM »
Philip:

Thanks for the tour.
Mark

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Phiilip.

Your photo tour seems to illustrate really well the difference in bunker styles between Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath and how each style suits its own site.  Nice photos.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:09:57 PM »
Phillip - thanks.  I didn't take enough pictures when I was there.  It raises some pleasant memories.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 06:26:03 PM »
You can look at mine Jason! ;)

David - can you spell out your thoughts re KH and RM bunkering etc a bit more? I am sure you know the courses much better than me - I would be interested to hear the longer version!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 10:22:36 PM »
That photo of #13 really illustrates the thought that MacKenzie's bunkering reflected the clouds overhead.

The drive on #9 is very scary, narrowing as you proceed, with the side slope toward the trouble on the left.

There is a lot of Cypress Point's bunkers in those photos, great scale and free form design.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 03:10:22 AM »
Bill - I thought nine was an excellent hole. I had not heard that point about Mackenzie's bunkers and the clouds. Is that for real?

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 11:30:03 AM »
Philip,
   Thanks for posting these pix. Man, I want to be there TOMORROW! It must have been so heartwrenching to play to those temporary greens with those beautiful landforms in the background. :'( At least you were able to see them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 04:55:24 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 03:15:50 AM »
I played at Royal Melbourne over the last two days of February, and the greens have recovered noticeably, with good grass cover. Unfortunately, the greens on the West course are being kept unreasonably slow which limited my ability to appreciate the green contours :'(. Thankfully, no temporary greens. The greens of the East course were excellent, except for the 13th, which was still out of play, and a nineteenth hole was used to the right of the 18th hole which was created a decade or so ago when the club decided to re-grass their greens.

TK

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 09:58:25 AM »
thanks Philip.....I WILL get there someday!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back