News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Quick Quiz on Character and Nature
« on: January 21, 2006, 05:21:11 AM »
Among the many great and humorous lines penned by this fairly well known author, the sentence "Their character may be inland but their nature is seaside, like a fisherman's children who have gone to make money in the midlands." is one that has resided in my memory for many a year.

I have never quite come to grips to the full meaning of this sentence.  What do people think it means and what are some courses, inland and seaside, which serve as examples?  Below is the paragraph in full.  

"But once over it you are on the landward side, and bearing slightly inland from the central backbone, and the first five holes are more seaside visitors than real inhabitants.  They are good visitors; they wear the right clothes and behave with decorum, yet, so to speak, when they strip for the sea they shiver, or laugh too heartily, and their arms and legs are white.  Do not imagine, however, that they are easy.  Their character may be inland but their nature is seaside, like a fisherman's children who have gone to make money in the midlands."

Extra Credit: Who wrote this paragraph and which course is being described?  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Quick Quiz on Character and Nature
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:56:11 AM »
It's to be found on Page 61.

Sean_A

Re:Quick Quiz on Character and Nature
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 06:02:28 AM »
Doh!  I thought you may being enjoying a game on this fine morn.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back