News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

NGLA's 8th - Bottle
« on: January 19, 2006, 08:11:22 PM »
Having never seen it, let alone play it, I can't comment fully.

This hole looks like a boatload of fun to play, though. Where did the idea come from?

Is it original?

Was it copied elsewhere?

Bill Gayne

Re:NGLA's 8th - Bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 08:20:33 PM »
Copied from the 12th hole at Sunningdale (Willie Park) per The Evangelist of Golf. I haven't seen the hole either but it certainly looks like fun on paper.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 08:21:48 PM by Bill Gayne »

Peter Galea

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 08:53:59 PM »
Yeah, it's scary fun. The "bottle hole" will command all your attention.
Do a search on it, as it was recently discussed.
"chief sherpa"

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »
I have proof that it is just toooo easy. I birdied it. ;D
AKA Mayday

George_Bahto

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 10:17:21 PM »
I like to ask players who have played National, which is their fav hole.

Most times they have a difficult time answering to just a single hole - I can’t answer the question myself. Too many good ones to pick from.

I usually ask them to consider the question with: “exclude the Redan.” That makes it a bit easier.

As a rough guess I would say 75% pick the 8th, the Bottle hole.

The hole plays fun but add to it. That the f/way bunkering is so beautiful, especially late in the afternoon. Then looking toward the green you have another “set’ of picturesque bunkers.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 10:25:04 PM »
Kyle,

If I had to play three holes, a par 3, a par 4 and a par 5 from one golf course, for the rest of my life, #8 at NGLA would be my choice for the par 4.

It's not just the drive that's fun, challenging and full of options, but, the approach, depending on where your drive ends up, and the hole location, can be frightening.  

The flag can look likes it's suspended in space, off the green, intimidating the best of golfers.

And, should you miss the green, recovery is a challenge.

It's one of the most enjoyable holes I've ever played.

Throw in a nice wind that usually sweeps the golf course and you have all of the ingredients for spectacular golf.

It's pure genius.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back