News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Franzen

Sebonack website
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:02:20 PM »
Sorry if this already been brought up in other threads...

Anyway, I just typed http://www.sebonack.com in the web browser and to my surprise a website turned up on the screen.

Club logo unweiled...

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:Sebonack website
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:05:21 PM »
So I just type in doak and boss. That will get me in>

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 08:41:46 PM »
Anyone find it kind of interesting that the website opening page is very similar to Friars Head non-golf photo of the long island sound?   ???

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 09:09:47 PM »
Anyone find it kind of interesting that the website opening page is very similar to Friars Head non-golf photo of the long island sound?   ???

Ian,

I can't speak to any deliberate intent, but that is the template format of Intraclub Communication, a private club business that builds websites, among other services. I think that's all there is to it....at least for now!

Remember....Imitation is the best form of flattery!! ;D

Hope you are well and a Happy Christmas and New Years to you, yours and all the folks down on the shore!

PS...I just had #2 in the daughter dept., so we'll have our own Pink Panther rooting section ;)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 09:52:36 PM »
  is sebonack fully operational?

if so does anyone know who is the professional?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 06:14:41 AM »
Friar's Head's pic is of the bluffs off #18, Sebonack's is near there ocean views.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 10:29:43 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

James Edwards

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 08:29:15 AM »
OT (but kinda related)
Is minimalist logo design the way forward - many seem to be adopting this approach?  ???
@EDI__ADI

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 09:56:13 AM »
Shivas:

After seeing all the bad potential logos I've seen proposed for different golf courses over the past few years, this one is like a breath of fresh air.  And, it's got a cool story behind it.  It wasn't designed by a marketing firm ... that two-moon "S" is taken from the shutters of the old Sabin mansion which beside the 18th hole.  I guess it was his monogram.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 11:47:30 AM »
One of my least favorite trends in identity design is the influence of marketing firms - too often driven by statistics and what has "worked" in the past.

I prefer an  visual identity to be driven by the identity of the place itself. Therefore, there should always be a 'story' behind every logo. There are way too many logos based on some name or idea which never had anything to do with the place until it was stuck onto it.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 11:59:19 AM »
I don't like the logo either.  I can't understand why some logos spell out a name and have initials of the name.  Redundant.  Even with the redundancy, the logo wouldn't be too bad if the intersecting lines were ditched.  They remind me of consultancy or IT letterhead.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 12:02:05 PM »
Lookaway's was always a favorite of mine, and has a history similar to Sebonack's. A stylized version of the original owner's initials (and the oldest structure used as a clubhouse in the country) that look like an anchor.

http://www.lookawaygc.com/history.html

Brian Noser

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 12:02:58 PM »
http://www.hamptonsview.com/hamptons_article_long_island_488.htm

Here are some pictures and a history of the site, I looked to see if the logo was present on the house or in the iron work but I could not see anything in the pictures.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 12:09:46 PM »
Sean, I don't think the intersecting lines are part of the logo, I think they are a by product of snipping the logo from the website.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Robert Emmons

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 02:40:15 PM »
I believe the logo is just the stylized S....RHE

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 04:19:51 PM »
The logo is just the "S" without the lines.

Brian:  The logo was carved into the shutters of the house.  The project manager took one of them and put it on a copier!  Presumably there is no copyright infringement since the shutters date from ninety years ago.

Brian Noser

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 05:43:03 PM »
Tom does the mansion still stand? or was is razed when you built the course? I just thought maybe the symbol would be somewhere other then the shutters. I wanted to see it in use. i like just the "s" as others have said but the lettering kind of ruins it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 05:49:55 PM »
Hmmmm... a famous young golfer was wearing a cap with said logo at Sand Hills earlier this year... and I really think it was just the "S", no other text. I'm guessing the other words are there just for the website, and/or that the logo will come with or without words - like Sand Hills' does.

Anyway Sebonack's kinda reminds me of the Seattle Mariners' logo... but still, is pretty cool in its simplicity.  And it was ESPECIALLY cool being worn months before the course was finished.  

ForkaB

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 05:57:08 PM »
I've hit this thread late.  Tell me, do you now get extra points for logo design in the GW, GM, GD ratings?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 05:58:32 PM »
I've hit this thread late.  Tell me, do you now get extra points for logo design in the GW, GM, GD ratings?

How scurrilous.   ;D
But not a bad idea.  I've often thought there should be "coolness points" as a bonus.  Of course I get to decide what's cool and what's not.

;D

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 06:20:42 PM »
Why don't those who don't like the logo put their creative minds together and come up with a better one that they can submit to the club for consideration.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005, 06:24:36 PM »
I cannot find fault with it. It is simple and makes sense. That puts it in the upper 1/3 already.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2005, 08:30:12 PM »
Why don't those who don't like the logo put their creative minds together and come up with a better one that they can submit to the club for consideration.

Same logo, but a darker shade of blue.  The current is too close to the "royal" variety of blue.  But,  that's just me...don't like blue in food colors and baseball teams.  Darker blue is perfect for college football teams and club logos.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

paul cowley

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2005, 09:04:18 PM »
I think it looks fine ....along the lines of the Nike 'swoosh' [sp][what the hell is a swoosh?].... that term is really great marketing because before they came up with swoosh, I always thought that it was called a check mark.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 10:52:52 PM »
Tom does the mansion still stand? or was is razed when you built the course?

Try reading the first paragraph of the article.  

The Sebonack web site still has the picture of the property before construction.   When can we see the same photo on an after basis.   How many trees had to be cut down to build the course?

Doug Siebert

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005, 12:42:39 AM »
Wow, people must have a lot of spare time for the holidays if GCA is now critiquing the COLOR of Sebonack's logo!  Will the next feature interview be with Queer Eye for the Straight Guy cast so they can tell us which club has the nicest shirts, which one has the best clubhouse decor and which one serves the best quiche? ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back