News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

peter_p

Best Tenth Hole, Non Return Course
« on: December 22, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »
My choice is at Pacific Dunes. Somehow I never feel the urge to figure out what I shot for the first nine holes. How important is the tenth hole in tying the course together?

CHrisB

Re:Best Tenth Hole, Non Return Course
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 02:33:56 PM »
For me it's Pine Valley or Pebble Beach. Good point about not taking stock of where you are in the round--a good "out and back" routing takes you on a continuous journey of 18 holes, rather than a "front nine" and "back nine".

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 02:37:31 PM »
#10 North Berwick West Links - but just because I birdied it last time there after making absolute dog's porridge of #9!  It is blessed with a great view of the dunes left and Bass Rock in the background.  Nice little downhill par 3, maybe 170 yds.  Crowned green with DEEP bunkers left and right.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 02:42:35 PM »
How about National Golf Links.  Awesome green!

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 02:52:15 PM »
Mid - O. The 10th is a vastly under-rated hole.

Bob

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 02:54:34 PM »
Kingston Heath

JWL

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 03:31:51 PM »
I'll put in a plug for a course not yet opened, but has a very interesting, dramatic tenth hole on a non-returning course called Boot Ranch in Fredericksburg, Texas.   Opening will be in early spring of 2006.

Gene Greco

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 03:37:52 PM »
Turnberry
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 03:46:19 PM »
Pinehurst no. 2.  After a difficult par 3 9th, you are immediately engaged with a lengthy par 5.   You are looking forward to the next hole to make up for what just happened (which is often bad).

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 04:00:41 PM »
BLACK

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 04:15:32 PM »
Myopia  fun drive,then a short  approach over  a very deep pit

Silverleaf (Weiskopf)  stern par 4 over a dry wash to a
very interesting green.    this one follows a 310 yard drivable charmer

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:22:04 PM by mark chalfant »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 04:17:11 PM »
Brancaster.  Perfectly tricky, short par 3 after the all-world 8th and 9th.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 04:22:25 PM »
 IF  it is true that #6 at Ballybunion used to be #1 then the present #15 par 3 with the water behind it would be a strong contender.
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 05:53:02 PM »
Sunningdale (Old) and (New) are both really good holes, just off the top of my head; I haven't really thought it through yet.

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 05:54:30 PM »
Lahinch?  I'm thinking the 10th (before the recent changes) was a pretty sporty challenge...

Ken

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 06:36:45 PM »
 how bout the 10th at Pine Needles?

cheers

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 06:43:21 PM »
Sunningdale (Old) and (New) are both really good holes, just off the top of my head; I haven't really thought it through yet.

second the vote for sunningdale (old), but it could just be the extra shot of "with" in the "soup with" ;)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 06:45:06 PM »
10th at Royal Troon - not from the Championship tee, when the hole is played blind.

10th at Turnberry, for sure.

10th at Royal Liverpool

10th at Ganton - nothing to it, silly little par 3, but how easy is it to get egg on face.  

10th at Ballybunion Old (short par 4, but very exacting i its way)

10th at Little Aston - best hole on course, a tough, double-dog-leg par 4.

But why does it matter whether the course returns or not?

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 07:18:09 PM »
Mark

The Turnberry 10th is a very good call.  Second best hole on the course.  I think the 8th takes top billing.

I am also very partial to Machrihanish's 10th.  A lovely par 5 that entices the player to take a pop at the green.  

The 10th at Deal is also a very crafty bugger.  

How bout the 10th at St Enodoc?  In a way it is much like the 1st at Hoylake.  Nobody likes it, but nobody would change it.  This hole is part and parcel of the St. Enodoc experience.  To be savoured without complaint.  

Ciao

Sean  
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

James Bennett

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 08:31:11 PM »
What about Moortown?  The 10th hole is something called 'Gibralter' these days.  Till a few years ago (?late 80's) it was the 8th, and it may have been a different hole in the original routing pre 1915 or so but I wouldn't know about that(indeed, it initially was the first and only hole, wasn't it).

So not always the 10th, but a very good 10th on a non-return course.  A slightly uphill par 3 of about 180 yards

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 01:39:10 AM »
Friar's Head
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 02:28:51 AM »
Sorry to mention a hole so few of you have played, but #10 at Northland CC in Duluth (Ross 1927) is as good as I've seen for a non-returning 10th. Uphill, dogleg right par 4, woods on both sides, extremely fast green sloped from back right to front left, it's the perfect hole if you're down a couple holes in the match because it's so easy for your opponent to double. Conversely, if you're playing medal and you've had a decent front nine, it's the hole you know you've got to get past to keep it going.

Pebble #10 is a great hole, but it feels more like the extra last hole of the front nine, rather than the first hole of the back nine.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

plabatt

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 07:55:58 AM »
Prestwick's tenth is a gradual uphill par 4 measuring 454 from the back tee.  Seven randomly placed bunkers line the fairway.  As they are revetted, any recovery shot means finding the fairway and not going for the green.  The green sits in a cleft at the crest of the dune.  There are no need for greenside bunkers as the slopes provide suffeceint chipping challanges.  And the backdrop behind the green is the Isle of Arran.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 08:33:20 AM »
10 at National Golf Links was the first hole that popped into my head, what a great green.  I also like the 10th at Dallas National with it's difficult green.  

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 11:49:55 AM »
Sorry to mention a hole so few of you have played, but #10 at Northland CC in Duluth (Ross 1927) is as good as I've seen for a non-returning 10th. Uphill, dogleg right par 4, woods on both sides, extremely fast green sloped from back right to front left, it's the perfect hole if you're down a couple holes in the match because it's so easy for your opponent to double. Conversely, if you're playing medal and you've had a decent front nine, it's the hole you know you've got to get past to keep it going.

Pebble #10 is a great hole, but it feels more like the extra last hole of the front nine, rather than the first hole of the back nine.

Put me as another mark for the tenth at Northland.  After perhaps gaining a stroke on the previous par 5 hole and warming up in the halfway house, it is unlike any other hole on the course.  Really gets the adrenaline pumping for the walk home.  Its a bit reminiscent of the 10th at Yale, which I don't believe anyone has mentioned yet but belongs here as well.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back