News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Kemp

Re:Just the facts man!
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2005, 09:29:20 PM »
Dave Kemp

1.HOME COURSE - have not been a member since I was a Junior at Golf Haven which is way too long ago

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1) hmmmm,  if limited to ones I have played I would have to say Highlands Links

3.GOLF LIFE...  as my wife says I am a golf geek.  After all who else goes to pub over an hour from home on a cold  winter's night to discuss golf with complete strangers met on a web site.  

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING... gotta be closing in on 30

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT!   dragging the family 300 km's off course on the summer vacation to play golf at Highlands Links. Played with my father and my 14 year old and loved absolutely every minute of it

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2005, 10:08:21 PM »
1. HOME COURSE: Phila-area public courses

2. FAVORITE COURSE (actually played): Merion  (close 2nd:  
    Casa De Campo.)                      

3. GOLF LIFE: Down to about 10-12 rounds a year from a
    bachelor high of about 30 many years ago.

4. YEARS PLAYING: 25 +-

5. SUPERHERO FEET:  Have played 100+ in PA.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 10:41:32 AM by Craig_Rokke »

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2005, 10:25:12 PM »
1. Kearney Hill Golf Links, Lexington, KY (Pete and P.B. Dye)
2. Fishers Island Club
3. 39 years
4. 10 years in Golf Administration; member of golf association board and jr golf foundation / First Tee board; rules official; former ranking panelist; 'cap = +3; college golfer.
5. Have played in national championships in 3 decades; switched to Natural Golf three years ago.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Brad Klein

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2005, 10:26:32 PM »
1.HOME COURSE: Wintonbury Hills GC, Bloomfield, Ct.

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1): Royal Dornoch

3.GOLF LIFE: former PGA Tour caddie, golf writer and architecture historian; play 75 different courses a year; 11-index

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING: 35

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: (hardly superhero status, but here goes): caddied for a month at St. Andrews; married an American woman who studies Scottish fishing villages for her anthropology research; witnessed final three holes of Geiberger's 59; stood by Watson in '82 when he chipped in at Pebble Beach; good friend of HWW and Lorne Rubenstein; made birdie out of an impossible lie in the left greenside bunker at Olympic Club's 18th this summer; qualified (just by showing up) to play in 1995 North Dakota State Amateur Championship, shooting in mid-90s all three rounds; have never seen, much less had, a hole-in-one.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 10:30:01 PM by Brad Klein »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2005, 11:03:18 PM »
Hey! Two Brads in a row....

Home Course:  Tedesco CC in Marblehead, MA (E.Wogan/Stiles)

Fav. Course:  Prestwick, anything "hidden" and quirky, i. e. Prestwick.

Golf Life:  Conference player of the year in HS in '99, Four years varsity golf at Middlebury College (Simper was my teammate), all-NESCAC first team '02, second team '00, '01, DIII champ at New England Intercollegiate in Oct. '02, part of a Middlebury school record 292 at Taconic in Fall '02, Tedesco CC Club Champion in 2003, Finished #20 in Mass Golf Association player of the year rankings in 05, worked for a year at Myopia Hunt Club, scratch index, GD rater.

Years: Anywhere between 12 and 19 years depending on your definition (I'm 24).

Golf Superhero Feat(s):  Wrote Senior History Thesis at Middlebury on the Golden Age of Golf Course Architecture, No aces, but I've holed out from over 100 yards 10-12 times (longest 186),  Shot a 67 in the Norfolk County Amateur last summer (3-wiggled the last green, boo), shot 69 in Mass Am at an amazingly maintained Essex County Club to make match play, witnessed my father make an ace to win a car in a charity tournament in 2003.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 09:58:02 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Cory Lewis

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2005, 11:21:42 PM »
1.HOME COURSE: The past two years it was Beechtree Golf Club in MD, soon it will either be a course in Philly or a course in NC, depending on which job I choose.

2.FAVORITE COURSE: Royal Dornoch

3.GOLF LIFE: Class A PGA Professional, I loved golf so much I made it my occupation

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING: 14

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT:  This past year I had the great fortune of playing Cypress Point with my father, If that wasn't special enough, I birdied 15 and 16, and played the last six holes three under.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 12:50:56 AM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

rjsimper

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2005, 11:37:11 PM »
Alright - two Middlebury grads in a row...jump on the bandwagon, Daniel Wexler.

Home Course - Used to be Palos Verdes G.C. - Palos Verdes Estates, CA (Credited to George Thomas, but actually Billy Bell), now a nomad.

Favorite Course - Wild Horse

Golf Life -

CIF Southern Section Regional Champions - Palos Verdes Peninsula High School

1999, Four years Varsity Golf at Middlebury College, Captain - 2003.  (Teammates with Bradford William Tufts (T-U-F-T-S Tufts)

Half-heartedly attempting to play a round of golf in every state in the union (only about 19 down so far)

Current Index around 5

Surveyor for www.greenskeeper.org

Years Playing- 11 seriously, first picked up a club 20 years ago (tough to remember when I was 5)

Golf Superhero Feats -

Drained a 125 foot putt from the top (West) end of the Rancho Park interior practice green to the bottom (by the 9th green) to beat Brian Noser in a putting contest

Made it from Rum Pointe Seaside Golf Links to Bear Trap Dunes in under 30 minutes driving a Ford Windstar with 3 frightened teammates along for the ride

Shot 79 in a round of golf that clocked in at 47 minutes from start to finish

Made a 4 from the Open tees on 16 at Pinehurst #2

Cold topped my first tee shot on the first hole of my college career, and birdied 3 of the last 4 (including the last) holes of the last round of my college career - talk about improvement!

Got hit in square in the back with a Titleist from 250 yards away at the Duke University Golf Course by a teammate who was intentionally trying to hit me (more impressive by him, I suppose)

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2005, 02:37:46 AM »

Home course:   Old Ranch CC in Seal Beach, Cal. (a
                   rather ordinary Ted Robinson design)
          Favorite Course:   Cypress Point
          Golf Life: play 2-3 times a week and love to travel
                   and play great tracks.
          How long:  started age 13, self taught and caddied
                   at Bel-Air.  Quit after a high school graduation
                   trip to NoCal played 45 holes walking
                   in one day at Pebble-  all for $25. Didn't pick up
                   a club for 23 years.  Now back to it for 15 years
                   and loving every minute.
          Superhero feat:  played 14 different U.S. Open courses
                   this year and now have completed 43 out of the
                   existing 47.

Dan Moore

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2005, 09:39:04 AM »
1.HOME COURSE
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1)
3.GOLF LIFE...  i.e. greenkeeper, GCA, author, player, historian, foozler, traveler, ranker, wanker...
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING...
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT!

As the newest newbie this looks like a good place to start

1.  Presently Pine Meadow GC Mundelein Il.  Recently noted on this site as a remodeled Flynn design retaining some of his original green sites.  Growing up ouside Milwaukee I played Brown Deer GC current site of the GMO where Tiger made his debut.  On HS golf team some rounds at Ozaukee a Langford design.  In College we played The Springs, RT Jones course in Spring Green Wisconsin quite a bit.  Love Lawasonia and try to play at least once a year.  

2.  Any of the courses I played on this year's Ireland trip.  But back home I currently favor Oak Grove Golf Course in Aldeen Illinois.  Reasons:  excellent test of golf, inexpensive ($45), uncrowded, (1 1/2 hours from Chicago), very nice natural setting which the course fits into well, and as important as the other factors, when I play there I meet a very good old friend who lives in Madison Wi. and we play all day, 36 or 54 holes.  

3.  Recreational amateur golfer.  Hope to knock a few more strokes off my handicap before I'm eligible for senior amateur events in the hope I can compete on that level.  

4.  40.  Started with my dad and older brothers.  Passing that on to my son and daughter.  

5.  Nothing yet, but my first first hole in one this year while playing with my son was pretty cool.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

John Foley

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2005, 09:59:24 AM »
1.HOME COURSE - play in the public domain mostly @ Ravenwood here in Victor, NY.

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1) - Sand Hills

3.GOLF LIFE...  Travel for work (Semiconductor business Sales) so I try and get out and see courses where ever I go.

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING. - Started playing in college 26 years ago. St. Bonaventure Unitersity Golf Course. 9 holer 50 cents a round. Not many Friday afternoon classes we're made w/ that in front of you.

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT - For a teen HDCPer I've been pretty lucky.
- Shot 32 (-3) on the front 9 once at a course in NH w/ my boss. Followed it up w/ a smooth 49 on the back!!
- Had two hole in one's over the years and have personally seen 6 others.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2005, 10:07:35 AM »

Home course: Lakeside Memorial in Stillwater, OK

Favorite Course: Cypress Point

Golf Life: none at the moment

How Many Years of Golfing: 12.... late start, got hooked at age 29.

Golf Superhero Feat:  First person to ace #8 at Rustic Canyon

PThomas

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2005, 10:40:23 AM »
Home Course:  Ravisloe, a restored Donald Ross

Favorite Course:  picking only one is killing me...but it would be Cypress Point

Golf Life - get to play more now since my oldest daughter can now baby sit her sisters ;) and since I was able to join Ravisloe and play in a reasonable amount of time...travel a bit for work so try and play different courses that way

Years Playing:  almost 30 now! :o

Golf Superhero Feat:  no aces :'( - yet - broken 80 a few times, parred the 17th on the Ocean Course 3 days in a row, been fortunate to play many wonderful places like CPC, Olympic, Merion, Pebble, Mid-Ocean, Hidden Creek, Bandon and Pacific Dunes, etc.....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2005, 12:13:33 PM »
1.HOME COURSE : Country Club of the Poconos

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1) - Harbour Town Golf Links

3.GOLF LIFE...   Currently Golf Course Superintendent Country Club of the Poconos.  Have been GCS at Little Mill Country club in NJ, Assistant GCS at Pine Valley and Harbour Town, Assistant Golf Pro at Harbour Town.

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING. -30, since I was 5

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT - Anytime I beat my brother at golf
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2005, 12:40:02 PM »
HOME COURSE:       Balboa Park

FAVORITE COURSE: Cypress Point

GOLF LIFE:             Play about 75 rounds a year.

YEARS PLAYING:     30

SUPERHERO FEAT:   Shot 75 at Cuscowilla in the second round of the inaugural Dixie Cup and closed out the dashing Carlyle  Rood 5&4 just before he made his fantatic eagle 2 on #15!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Grant Davey

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2005, 01:07:47 PM »
Home Course: I have to say here at the Irish.

Favourite Course: That I played, The Old Course.

Golf Life: Currently GCS of the Irish Course at Whistling Straits. Been into turf since '85 got my start at a Lawn Bowls Club in Australia. Moved to America eleven years ago.

Years Golfing: First played golf with my Dad's right handed golf clubs at Merriwa Golf and Bowls in '82, sand greens, no irrigation and a Ten year drought in progress. Did not take it up seriously till coming to America, to busy surfing.

Golf Super Hero Feat: Giving my dad a set of new clubs when I first went back to visit since I eventually broke half his set.

Sean Leary

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2005, 01:30:21 PM »
1.HOME COURSE - Members Club at Aldarra, Fall City WA (outside Seattle)

2.FAVORITE COURSE : Pine Valley

3.GOLF LIFE...  I play about 75 to 100 rounds a year at between a 3 and 6 index.  Played one year at Bowdoin College (1993) on the Golf team.

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING... 25

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT!  Played 10 rounds of Golf on my 7 day honeymoon at Banff and Jasper Park and am still happily married.....

John Gosselin

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2005, 08:56:49 PM »
Home Course - Inniscrone, Avondale, PA and any place I am currently working.

Favorite Course - no single favorite....love them all....the quirkier the better. Although playing Shinnecock for the first time changed  me in some odd way.

Golf Life - 27 years in golf course maintenance...started working summers on golf course maint. staff in high school...superintendent for 17 years...at Aronimink since September

Years Playing - 30

Golf Superhero Feat - still waiting...or to many to mention  ;D
Great golf course architects, like great poets, are born, note made.
Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer 1922

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2005, 10:14:37 PM »

Home Course- Bethpage Black
Favorite Course- Garden City Golf Club
Golf Life- PGA Apprentice enrolled in the Professional Golf Management Program at Methodist College in the Pinehurst Area. Caddied at the Cherry Valley Club in Garden City for three years.
Other: Methodist College is regarded as the best PGM school in the country, 16 total school right now including Penn St., AZ. St., Florida St., New Mexico, Ferris St.

Marc Haring

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2005, 04:43:36 AM »
1. HOME COURSE: www.cumberwellpark.com
2.FAVORITE COURSE: I need to get out more, but to date: Royal St Georges, Royal Birkdale and Saunton West or East in the spring before the rough gets up too much, late evening, cloudless sky, couple of good friends. Bloody perfect! Way better than sex, but there again I am British.
3.GOLF LIFE: Course Director which is a fancy word for greenkeeper but I get into golf sales and lots of other stuff.
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING: 35 in total.
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: Shot a 6 under 62 once. Top amateur in the Devon Open 1981 (haven’t a clue how), shot a 72 off the white tees at Royal St Georges a couple of years back. (Hey, Ben Curtis was the only golfer under par that year)

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2005, 04:52:04 AM »
Pete Lavallee......Your home course is Balboa Park?
In San Diego?

Cool!

I used to play it as a kid...........first the nine holer (is it still there?), then the 18 holer.  Man, what a distinctive course!

Is 18 still the ramp up the hill............still called Cardiac Hill?

What shape is it in?

Tom
the pres

Kyle Harris

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2005, 06:39:42 AM »

Home Course- Bethpage Black
Favorite Course- Garden City Golf Club
Golf Life- PGA Apprentice enrolled in the Professional Golf Management Program at Methodist College in the Pinehurst Area. Caddied at the Cherry Valley Club in Garden City for three years.
Other: Methodist College is regarded as the best PGM school in the country, 16 total school right now including Penn St., AZ. St., Florida St., New Mexico, Ferris St.

*ahem* Beg pardon?  :P

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2005, 09:15:22 AM »
1. No home course. Rarely play the same golf course more than twice in a year.

2. Favorite course - Cypress Point. For sheer fun, I'll take Wild Horse.

3. Golf Life - PGA Professional, although inactive since 1999 (Decided to get a non-golf job that allows me to spend time with my family.... Best decision I ever made!!!). Golfweek Rating Panelist. Went to college in Florida with the intention of playing golf, but the fact that I was no good and my decision to take up beer drinking derailed that plan.

4. Been playing for 25 years. Started the summer after 8th grade.

5. Superhero feat was two years ago at Arcadia Bluffs. Wind gauge in the golf shop had it blowing 40 mph, and the Assistants estimated it was closer to 50 mph down by the lake. From the back markers I shot 71. Not the lowest score I ever shot, but given the conditions I finally realized that I wasn't as bad as I thought I was  :o

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2005, 12:24:15 PM »
Pres,

Balboa is in excellent condition following a redesign which ended id 1995. They completely rebuilt all the greens to USGA type and changed some of the holes but not the routing. All in all, it made the course a little longer (6281, 71.7, 127) and more varied; it's not an endless parade of 320 yard holes anymore. They followed MacKenzie's advice on 18; if you have a hole that is a long slog, shorten it and get it over with quicker. It's now a 318 yarder with the green somewhat shorter down the hill than it used to be. The prime motivation for the redesign was to change 17 and 18 so as to remove the danger of balls landing on Pershing Drive. Still lots of fun to play and no push over with a course rating of 71.1 at only 6281 yards.

The nine holer is still there, just like Billy Bell designed it in the 1920's. I was going to count aceing the 130 yard 2cnd twice as my superhero feat, but every knows hole in ones on 9 hole executive courses don't count!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 12:28:28 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2005, 01:40:53 PM »

*ahem* Beg pardon?  :P

yea we are the number one school, but its open for debate anytime.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 11:43:21 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2005, 01:42:38 PM »
Alum, no, I left the program.  ;D Just some friendly competition.

And for the record, all our staff works on the GPTP (or is it called PGM now?) planning staff. That, and we have the best golf merchandiser in the country for a head of the department.  :P
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 01:45:02 PM by Kyle Harris »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back