News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re:Just the facts man!
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2005, 09:33:59 AM »
1.HOME COURSE:  none
2.FAVORITE COURSE: Olympic Lake (of those I've played or been on)
3.GOLF LIFE:  Zero now, played a bit in high school
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING: Started at age 12, now I'm 54, but most of those years have no golf in them.
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: just about none...I suppose the highlight was holding 3rd place after 18 holes in the MO Boys State Junior championship decades ago.  (Then shot 76 to fall into about 8th.)

If you ask me my GCA credentials, they are between zero and none.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 09:36:03 AM by Jim Nugent »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2005, 09:37:52 AM »
Kyle Harris
Home Course: Vagrant, but the Penn State Golf Courses are the closest I've ever been to having one
Favorite Course: Huntingdon Valley Country Club
Years Playing: Just finished my 8th year, started as a high school freshman on a larf and somehow made the team/got addicted
Golf Superhero Feat: Ripping one down the middle in front of roughlt 400 people in the playoff for the League Championship in HS

Have a growing interest in golf course maintenance and an ever increasing interest in architecture. I am a disenfranchised golf professional who is more-than-likely not going back to that aspect of the business.

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005, 10:52:47 AM »
HOME COURSE: Huatang Golf CLub, Beijing

FAVOURITE COURSE: Newcastle Golf Club, Stockton, NSW, Australia

GOLF LIFE: 100 rounds a year; 3 hcp

YEARS PLAYING: started at 12, now 35, but didn't pick up a club between ages of 23 and 30

GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: turning my wife into a 150 round a year golfing fanatic (she didn't play for the first six years of our relationship -- see answer above!)

ForkaB

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 12:09:03 PM »
I can't believe I've played golf as long as Mr. Huntley, but then again 50 years ago I was hitting old gutties with cut down hickory clubs around my backyard towards buried soup cans, while Bob was probably already multiple club champion at Nchanga GC....

Since people are beginning to pay me to write golf books, I guess I am an author, but I hopefully remain humble.  My home course is non-Royal Aberdour and my favorite course is usually Dornoch, although at other times it might be Dronoch, or even Dornohc.  Some people claim that I am dyslexci.

My handicap bounces between 3 and 7 like a whore at a stag party of ice-bound polar explorers.

My super-hero feat is spending 100 consecutive nights in the  Burghfield House Hotel in its heydey and still being alive to tell the tale 24+ years later.

Paul Payne

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 03:01:22 PM »
thanks and welcome paul, that was the perfect post except you cheated!!! Just one favorite course...

There is a very good thread about 6 pages back that you can learn useless information about everyone...It is titled "WHO ARE YOU GUYS...REVISITED"

Yes you are right, I guess I cheated. I tend to have this trouble when I am talking as well, like when I say "Let me make this brief...". I gues it also shows I'm a waffler. I hadn't realized I'd exposed so much.

It's kind of like something I read once that quoted.............

Jason Topp

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2005, 10:58:34 PM »
1.HOME COURSE Oak Ridge - see My Home Course

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1) - Sand Hills

3.GOLF LIFE... - 50-75 rounds a year - 7 or 8 handicap

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING... - 30

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT! I've played with enough good players to know the proper answer is none.  I'm pretty good at the really ugly par or bogie to tie a hole.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 12:08:05 AM »
My turn, I guess!!!

1.HOME COURSE...Dubuque Golf & Country Club

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1)...guess I gotta go with Chicago Golf Club

3.GOLF LIFE...Self-professed golf nut, did some course rating for the Iowa Golf Association a few years back when I had the time, 3-year volunteer "sign boy" at the John Deere Classic, ranker, wanker, and all-around traveler (when I get the time).  I have also been published in T&L Golf Magazine and had an article written about me in Golf Digest about people who use frequent flyer miles and points to make golf trips (the Tiger cover issue during last year's [2004] Masters),

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING...first round at age 10, about to turn 37 in a week or so.  My handicap hovers in the 12-14 range, but things are looking better for next season! ;)

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT!... This past summer (while the wife and kids were away) I played 90 holes of golf in 36 hours...all of it walking, carrying my bag, and in the middle of 90+ degree summer heat.  My feet REALLY hurt after the first 54 hole day, but I still had time (and energy) that evening to make it home and cut the lawn.  I'm a glutton for punishment!  8) :o
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tim Bert

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 12:35:52 AM »
1. Home Course - I'm homeless.  Just moved to the Nashville area, so I plan to do some exploring in 2006.

2. Favorite Course - Pacific Dunes

3. Golf Life - I like to read about golf, I like to travel to play golf, and I love this site!  I'm about as un-credentialed as it relates to golf as it gets.

4. # Yrs. Golfing - Didn't pick up a club until I was 18.  Can't believe I've been playing for 14 years now.  Won't be long before I can say I've played golf for the majority of my life.  I've only kept a handicap the last 5 years, and it has ranged from a 12 to an 18.  It's about 14 on the card right now though I've only played once in the past 3 months due to a new job, so I won't be winning any bets at the moment.

5. Golf Superhero Feat - I must admit I'm a mere mortal when it comes to golf, though I did play 144 holes in three days at Bandon this summer.  Two of the three days, my group was both first on and last off the course we played.  If it were really a superhero feat, then I probably wouldn't have consumed as many painkillers.    

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 12:36:09 AM by Tim Bert »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 01:45:22 AM »
1. Home course - Finkbine Golf Course, Iowa City, IA

2. Favorite course - TOC...endless variety, someday I hope to spend a summer there and get Links Trust pass and play it as many times in as many different conditions as possible!

3. Golf Life - a player only, and even that is debateable.  I've been between a 4 and a 6 forever now, so hacks think I'm a golfing stud, and golfing studs think I'm a hack.  Love to travel, but I seem more likely to travel across the ocean to play than to the next state over...gotta work on that considering what's in the state immediately to my left!

4. Years Golfing - been at it since I was 13, and I'm 39 now.  Guess I'm probably not going to get any better at this game if I continue to never practice and maintain my record of never having a lesson in my life.  But life's too short to beat balls on a driving range.

5. Golf Superhero Feat - A lifetime scoring average of 1.5 on Carnoustie's 245 yard 16th, a hole which Tom Watson referred to as the "hardest short hole in the world."  Might as well put that on my tombstone now, because I don't think I'm ever going to top it....already ruined my average on my last visit ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

James Bennett

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 02:04:31 AM »
James Bennett

1.  Home Course - Blackwood GC, Adelaide, Australia

2.  Favourite Course - New South Wales GC, Sydney, Australia

3.  Golf (is my second) Life - apt description, ask my wife.  Been playing for 35 years, at Blackwood. My handicap is now 9, but was lower (perhaps a 6) till I discovered golf course architecture a year ago.  I have more fun now.  I have been Course Chairman at my club for three years.  I have endeavoured to learn about agronomy from the local golf course supt's asscoiation, to enable me to have a half-intelligent discussion with our supt.  However, he makes the decisions, as I know that 'I know nothing, nothing'.  My knowledge of golf course architecture is also very superficial.

4.  Golf Superhero Feat - in 1978, I defeated Frank Nobilo in teenage competition, on the way to our State winning the Australasian Teenage State Team Championship (fortunately, Mike Clayton was 'over-qualified' to be eligible that year :D).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 02:17:30 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 09:53:06 AM »
Home Course - Happily unattached

Fav. Course - North Berwick

Golf Life - Handicap and Course Rating Coordinator for the   Royal Canadian Golf Association

Years Golfing - 20 years; Kawartha GC was my parents babysitting service

Golf Feat - Getting caught in a wicked snowstorm while touring Stanley Thompson's Westmount GC, and loving every minute of it.

Craig Disher

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 09:55:20 AM »
1. Won't mention it. We still need members.

2. Swinley Forest

3. I've had a few Don Quixote experiences on green committees so I'm trying to learn to accept what I'm given and just enjoy myself.

4. Started playing as an 85 pound 10 year-old with my dad's cast-iron shafted clubs from the 1930s. Quit for 20 years but have been playing steadily, if not efficiently, ever since.

5. Ran a sub 65 minute 10-mile race in the morning and then played 2 matches in my club's 2-man team competition in the PM, carrying my bag. We lost but I was still standing at the end.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 02:31:29 PM by Craig Disher »

mike_malone

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 10:28:15 AM »
 1. Rolling Green (Springfield , Pa.)
 2. Ballybunion
 3. Avid golfer (150 rounds -give or take-I don't keep track)  
       Developed interest in GCA when I saw 1926 photos of  my home course for the first time. Thought " Why doesn't it look like that now?"

4. 43 years

5. Sneaking on Garrison's Lake , near Dover, De., in 1971 with only a 3 iron to play nine holes (shot 45) on the way to see my then girlfriend. It was dawn and I didn't want to have to lug my whole bag if someone chased me off the course.
AKA Mayday

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 10:54:14 AM »
1. Home Course--Alpharetta CC in Georgia

2. Favorite--Tobacco Rd.

3. Golf Life--play about 125 rds. per year, current index 5.9, former HS golf coach (now retired from coaching after 31 yrs.) subscribe to every magazine out there, and generally behave in a manner that most people consider to be strong evidence of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

4. Yrs. Golfing--didn't start until I was 28, 25 yrs. ago.  Currently making up for lost time.

5. Golf Superhero Feat--got hit in the head by a shot off a 3-wood from about 30 yds. away, and lost a piece of my ear (think Holyfield-Tyson as a visual) on the second hole of a tournament round at Jekyll Island.  Played the remaining 16 holes holding a wet, bloody towel to my head in between shots, before a post-round trip to the ER in Brunswick.  Too dizzy to swing very well, but putted the lights out!

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 10:54:49 AM »
1.HOME COURSE:  the beautiful and challenging Santa Teresa GC, San Jose, CA

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1) - Studio City Golf and Tennis, Studio City, CA.  9-hole par 3 course with really cool greens - where I learned to play the game.  It started as my favorite and has never left that place in my heart.

3.GOLF LIFE...  ranker/wanker for GD magazine.  Course rating volunteer for the NCGA.  Addicted golf nut, much more importantly.

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING... Going on 35 now.  Yikes.

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT - playing 3+ days of golf with Patrick Mucci and actually greatly enjoying it.   ;)  Shhhh - don't want to let out Pat's secret - he's actually a hell of a lot of fun in person.

TH

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2005, 11:04:19 AM »
   Home Courses:  Rolling Green and Casa de Campo courses.
   Favorite Course  -  Pine Valley
   Golf Life  -  300 rounds per year; avid reader re courses
   Years playing  -  45
   Superhero Feat  -  69 twice - Rolling Green and Couer d'Alane.  Not bad for a bad 7.

Mickey Boland

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005, 12:19:03 PM »
1.  HOME COURSE:  Harlingen CC (South Texas)
2.  FAVORITE COURSE:  Any one of the courses I will play on my first trip to Scotland next year.  (OK, I cheated).
3.  GOLF LIFE:  First ever real paying job was working summers on the greens crew at the club where my family were members.  Then worked a couple of summers in my dad's office when he was into golf course design.  Some pro shop/assistant pro jobs for a couple of years.  Actually played a mini-tour and took a shot at Q-school, back when it was just a one-stage, $300 entry fee, everybody's invited affair.  (I was a decent local player, but soon found out what REALLY good players were like. :o  Hence my current job as a banker.)  Play 40-50 full rounds annually these days.
4.  YEARS PLAYING:  Started at about 12.  Can that really be 37 years ago?
5.  GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT:  Birdied 14, 16, 17 & 18 to win member-member with a great older gentleman, who is unfortunately no longer with us.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2005, 12:53:09 PM »
1.  HOME COURSE:   Pensacola CC in NW Florida's Panhandle, and Columbia-Edgewater in Portland, Oregon.
2.  FAVORITE COURSE:   The Valley Club of Montecito.  If I could pick co-favorites, the other two would be Cypress Point and North Berwick.  (But I won't say that because it would be cheating!)
3.  GOLF LIFE:  I would love to have found out about golf architecture back when I was an undergraduate, flunking out of engineering school and sliding into economics.  But I didn't. Now I enjoy learning more about the great classic courses, enjoy playing them whenever possible (particularly the MacKenzie courses which are fantastic for so many reasons), and playing new courses that exemplify what I love about the classic courses.  I have had the pleasure of playing with a number of GCA.com types and this has greatly enriched my golf life.   Thank you Ran!
4.  YEARS PLAYING GOLF: 50 years - I first picked up a club at age 13.  Age has not improved my playing skills!
5.  GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT:  First hole in one this year, with a driver, during a GCA event in California.  Six months later almost made my second, with a driver, during a GCA event in North Carolina!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 12:54:08 PM by Bill_McBride »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2005, 03:04:43 PM »
1.HOME COURSE

Columbia CC in Blythewood, SC (as of December 1, 2005).

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1)

Cypress Point Club.

3.GOLF LIFE...
greenkeeper? Just fixin' ball marks and sandin' divots.
GCA? Not hardly.
author? Only of too many GolfClubAtlas posts.
player? Every chance I get, usually 105-110 rounds/year.
historian? Wannabe perhaps.
foozler? Frequently.
traveler? Occasionally.
ranker? Never.
wanker? Hmmm, does "tosser" count?

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING...

Started in 1994 at age 33, so that makes 11-1/2 and counting.

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT!

Other than the good fortune of having my first Ace at an official GolfClubAtlas event, I can't think of any. It's probably some sort of crazy doomed heroic gesture every time I show up for another round of golf, given how I likely played the day before.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 03:07:19 PM by Brent Hutto »

Norbert P

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2005, 03:25:57 PM »
1. Home Course . . .    Muni Rat

2. Fave Course . . . Pacific Dunes,   Bandon, Oregon with several unmentionable (!)  :-X close also rans.

3. Golf Life . . .   Sporadic, embryonic, cryptic, but, once in a while, epic.  Thanks to those of you who were there.

Work part-time @ a country club on a greenskeeping crew.
  Landscaping Degree  (AA)
  Insatiable dreamer/traveller.

4. Been golfing for 8 years, intro'd to gowfing 4 years ago.

5. Golf SuperHero Feat -  Planting a pure fine fescue front yard - against all professional advice. - and succeeding with a nice turf . . .   so far.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 03:28:11 PM by Norbert Painter »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jason Mandel

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2005, 03:35:32 PM »
1.  Home Course: White Manor (Malvern,PA)

2.  Favorite Course: Pebble Beach

3.  Golf Life: Pretty much all social.  I did caddy when I was in college though ;D

4.  Years of Playing Golf:  Probably picked up my first club around 4, been playing for fun ever since. (25 now).

5.  Golf Superhero Feat:  Shot a 34 on the front nine at Overbrook a few years ago :D.   It was a weird feeling, since when I made the turn I think I was more releived than anything to finish the front nine under par.  For a brief moment I wasn't thinking about breaking 80(which i had never done), but I was thinking about shooting underpar or breaking 70 ;D  As fate would have it I proceeded to shoot 45 on the back nine for a smooth 34-45 for this 14-15 handicap  :P
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2005, 04:00:55 PM »
Home course: Currently unattached, but grew up at York (NE) Country Club. See My Home Course.

Favorite course: Tough one. I'll go with Sand Hills on a perfect September day with my brother, and Brian and Kevin Gracely.

Golf life: I've be drawing holes in my head since I was 10. Other than that I have no reason to be here.

Years of playing golf: Dad had me out when I was four. Playing ever since (will be 30 in September), though much less since my daughter was born in Sept. 2004.

Golf Superhero: Funny, probably my younger brother. He was addicted to the game and always worked so hard at it. Won the State Junior Match Play and was an NAIA All-American. Most of my great golf memories are of rounds with him during the summers.

Golf Feat: Made my first hole-in-one last May playing in a golf marathon.

Michael - Please don't ever use my opinion on anything if you are compiling stuff. I can't handle the pressure.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2005, 04:01:42 PM »
Matt MacIver

1.  Home Course: Providence CC (Charlotte, NC)

2.  Favorite Course: The Ocean Course

3.  Golf Life: Started in college but just really started playing weekly a few years ago.  Found this website a few years ago, wished I knew about it and gca years ago, it might have changed my life! (but probably not....).

4.  Years of Playing Golf:  ~15 years.  

5.  Golf Superhero Feat: Three birdies on a windy day at The Ocean Course....supplemented with three 9s.  

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »
Steve Pieracci

1) Home Course: NCGA Courses Poppy Hills / Poppy Ridge
2) Favorite Course : Pasatiempo
3) Golf Life: Started beating balls at age 7, been playing ever since....4) so thats 39 years...off and on
5) Superhero Feat: Santa Clara Valley Best Ball Champions 1980 something... :)    

Jim Thompson

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2005, 08:31:26 PM »
1.HOME COURSE: Angels Crossing Golf Club  & Clearbrook Golf Club
2.FAVORITE COURSE: Angels Crossing (and I'm not trying to be cute)
3.GOLF LIFE: Golf Course Operator
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING: Started Senior year of college (1993) at sugeestion of head of accounting dept; "James you never be great accountant always late, you need learn play golf, make deals."  Dr. Facey was Phillipino and a giver of great advice.  She gave me a watch for graduation ;D
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: Winning the Foonman Cup in 1998 beating Mike Vyletel in the final on the 19th hole.  Second - Shot 80 from tips at Arcadia Bluffs first time out in 30 mph gale while getting 16 strokes for a net 64.  It was a good day.
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back