News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

ForkaB

Re:Who are the living deities of golf and why...
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 06:55:50 AM »
Brian (or even Mike)

Did Mike ever tee it up with Trevino?  If so, and what you say is true, that would have been something to watch!

Brian Walshe

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 07:43:32 AM »
Rich,

Watching would only have been 50% of the experience.  It would be one of those very rare games of golf when listening was equally entertaining.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 08:50:41 AM »
How does Allister Cooke rate with those no longer living?  Jack Whitaker?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 09:01:42 AM »
Adam,

Every dead golfer is a deity...I have been racking my brain trying to think of the most hated dead golfer and I've come up blank.   Allister Cooke never made me want to stick my finger down my throat just to get it over with..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 09:03:05 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 09:45:35 AM »
Tom Huckaby.......(for his beautiful quality of being self-effacing, self-questioning, and as far as I can tell, truly humble........qualities that we all can use in life.)

OT - I just threw up on my keyboard.  Doesn't anybody have a good cleaning solution recommendation?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ForkaB

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2005, 09:50:31 AM »
I had the same problem, Mike and I used Shinola, which did the trick.  I would warn you, however, about borrowing any Shinola from some of the posters on here, as they can't really differentiate between ** and sh**. :)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 10:05:38 AM »
Therefore, in my view, there are two golfing deities -- Bob Huntley and Gene Greco.  Period.  End of story.

Dadgummit.  Just when I had the thing cleaned up - here we go again.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 10:06:24 AM »

Therefore, in my view, there are two golfing deities -- Bob Huntley and Gene Greco.  Period.  End of story.

Great...now we can look forward to Huck proving he is the biggest ass kisser on the site..but damnit Shivas you've made it tougher on him..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 11:02:58 AM »
JK - love it.

I can't believe that brown-nose shivas.  How unseemly.

;D

I hate everyone.  The only living golf deity is my Dad.

Mike Benham

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 01:06:28 PM »
America's guest ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

JSlonis

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 03:42:53 PM »
There are so many..............but,

Golfers........
Gene Littler (personal all time deity)
Jack Nicklaus (for his overriding excellence and record)
George Knudsen (closest swing mechanics to Hogan, at least I thought so when I first really studied the swing, and therefore still hold that memory as so.)
Tom Watson (for the courage that I believe exemplifies his approach to swinging the club, playing the game, and using his stature in the game to further all of us).
Gary Player (for his display and lifelong development of the rarified quality of intention)
Byron Nelson (for his longevity, his move into from the top into the hitting zone, and his life as testimony to the power of the Texas plains.)
.....and saving perhaps the best for last.......Mickey Wright (her swing and humble nature).

How can you have a golf deity list without...the one and only:

ARNOLD PALMER

There may not ever be a man who loves the game of golf as much as Arnold Palmer.  To me, he embodies everything good about the game.  While some may not like all of his golf course designs, his greatness, and charisma both on and off the golf course are beyond question.  He is beloved by generations of golfers and sportsfans in general.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 07:23:23 PM by JSlonis »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 03:45:25 PM »
I'm with Jamie. I had meant to propose Arnie as the first and only member of this supposed list. There have been other deities of golf but they are no longer with us. Arnie is the original "The Man".

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »
I second Arnold Palmer, because he democratized the game.
Because Arnold Palmer democratized the game, the demand for golf rose.
Because the demand for golf rose, the demand for new courses rose.
Because the demand for new courses rose, the demand for new architects rose.
Because of all the new architects the industry could support, diversity in course design grew, and today we are all blessed with far more choice in our golf...assuming we'd be playing at all if Arnold Palmer hadn't come along.

And when we play these courses on hot days, we drink "Arnold Palmers."

In fact, I think the only living deity of golf who can compare to Arnold Palmer is the Dalai Lama himself...big hitter, the Lama.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 03:59:53 PM »
Sally Kelley...

Sally is the Widow of Homer Kelley, who wrote the book "THE GOLFING MACHINE"  Salley is the female model pictured throughout the book.  She was a non-golfer at the time of Homer's career change but spent countless hours in the little workshop room as Homer took picture after picture of the 10 to the 23rd power permutations of the swing. :P  I met her about 10 years ago at the founding of the WA chapter of the Shivas Irons Soceity.  She still lives in the same house with the workshop untouched since homers passing.  She played golf for another 10 years after Homer's death.  This is a woman that we would all be lucky to have in our lives...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 04:00:26 PM by Michael Hayes »
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 06:53:26 PM »
Was Arnie smart enough to do what he did to increase the number of females in the gallery?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JSlonis

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2005, 07:20:33 PM »
Was Arnie smart enough to do what he did to increase the number of females in the gallery?

What did he do exactly to increase women in his gallery?

The man was an excellent and exciting player.  He oozed charisma...and he remains one of the most popular Sportsmen of the last 50+ years.  I don't think he had to do a lot more than just be himself to attract the ladies.

Long live "The King"!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 07:21:38 PM by JSlonis »

John Kirk

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005, 09:11:51 PM »
The golf deities are:

Arnold Palmer
Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods

I can't believe no one has nominated Tiger until now.  Writers, architects, and other players are ordinary compared to these guys.  

Joe Hancock

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2005, 10:16:55 PM »
Jamie,

No offense towards you or Arnie. An apparently poor timed attempt at humor on my part.

Palmer certainly loved golf and increased galleries, both male and female.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JSlonis

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2005, 10:13:14 AM »
Jamie,

No offense towards you or Arnie. An apparently poor timed attempt at humor on my part.

Palmer certainly loved golf and increased galleries, both male and female.

Joe

Joe,

No offense taken.  ;D

***  "I can sum it up like this: Thank God for the game of golf."---Arnold Palmer ***
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 10:27:53 AM by JSlonis »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2005, 12:08:02 PM »

I can't believe no one has nominated Tiger until now.

My questions is can an alien be a deity?
Let's make GCA grate again!

PThomas

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2005, 01:11:34 PM »
let's not forget Ms. Annika, the Queen of the Game!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2005, 01:47:14 PM »
Paul --

As much as I respect Annika's game -- geez, how could you not -- she does seem to be involved in more than her share of rules disputes. Does a living deity need to argue for 15 minutes about where she gets to drop?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

PThomas

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2005, 01:52:54 PM »
Rick - Besides the Paula incident, I can only think of the Open incident on the last hole...are there lots of others?

she seems to conduct herself very classily at all times as far as I can tell..

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2005, 02:05:34 PM »
Paul -- Those are the two I was thinking of.

One too many, for a deity.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

PThomas

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2005, 02:13:49 PM »
but re the Creamer ruling, wasn't she found to be correct?

at the Open,  I don't remember all the details, but even if she was wrong, I still don't think that tarnishes her image

even Jack was part of a famous rules dispute in the World Matchplay Tournament back in the 60's...he disputed a ruling, the referee asked if he would like a new referee - and Jack said yes...Jack even admitted later on that he did not handle it well

and let's not forget Bob Jones, who picked up in the middle of a round at TOC (in the 21 Open, if I remember correctly)!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back