News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:Arts & Crafts sidetrack
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2005, 09:30:50 AM »
Tom,

There was a hazard (sand and low turfed islands within) fronting the green but nothing obscured the view of the green from the landing area.  Look at the photo on pg 68 of Geoff Shackelford's book.  The old 10th green with the huge berm behind is plainly visible.  Shall I post Flynn's drawing of the hole in 1916 that confirms it was flat from landing area to green?

As you say, just because somebody (Lesley) called it something, why does Tom MacWood and those he influences believe it so?  Because he conveniently uses and manipulates information to fit his preconceived or not fully-informed opinions.  Stating them as fact is dangerous to the truth and proper history

wsmorrison

« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2005, 09:32:06 AM »
Mike,

Yes, your analysis is feeble.  There's a huge mound obscuring the view of the green.  The picture you were looking at is from the back side of the slope.  You can make out just a bit of the slope in the lower left portion of the photo.  Making conclusions on scant evidence can be at the expense of the truth.

I had a wonderful day there with the one and only Bob Crosby.  What a great place to make a lifelong friend.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:37:26 AM by Wayne Morrison »

TEPaul

« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2005, 09:37:45 AM »
“TE
What exactly would those points be? Could you present them in bullet point form?
AFC's first point was the golf architects of the golden age did not mention the A&C movment by name, so they couldn't have been influenced. It was then explained to him no one mentioned the A&C movement by name, including Ruskin, Morris and Burne-Jones (I can only conclude he really does not have a good understanding of the movement). He then said well then, they did not mention the key figures by name...evidently he did not read the essay too carefully....they were mentioned by name.”

Tom:

I mentioned that AFC said that he believe the points have been well made that question and challenge you’re A/C thesis. He did not say he made all the points and I did not say he made all the points. He apparently feels a number of people did.

Wayne:

You first met Bobzee at Prestwick and played with him there?

COOL!  ;)

Did the Scots think they were looking at a reincarnation of Bobby Jones? (gentleman, sportsman, Georgia accent and Atlanta lawyer and Harvard grad).

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:42:47 AM by TEPaul »

mike_malone

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2005, 09:39:21 AM »
 I thought you could straighten that out.
AKA Mayday

T_MacWood

« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2005, 09:40:35 AM »

There was a hazard (sand and low turfed islands within) fronting the green but nothing obscured the view of the green from the landing area.  Look at the photo on pg 68 of Geoff Shackelford's book.  The old 10th green with the huge berm behind is plainly visible.  Shall I post Flynn's drawing of the hole in 1916 that confirms it was flat from landing area to green?

As you say, just because somebody (Lesley) called it something, why does Tom MacWood and those he influences believe it so?  Because he conveniently uses and manipulates information to fit his preconceived or not fully-informed opinions.  Stating them as fact is dangerous to the truth and proper history

Wayne
Aren't you being a little harsh with Lesely. The Alps was a famous hole abroad and a famous hole in the States, well documented in the publications.

In that photo and another photo when the hole when it was part of the 18, it appears there was a mound behind that bunker, which would obscure the view of the green....a la the Alps.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:42:54 AM by Tom MacWood »

wsmorrison

« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2005, 09:44:49 AM »
I revere Lesley for some things but harshly criticize his findings (not the person) when his words get mistaken for truth 90 years later.  It may have been somewhat famous, but I hardly think the concept was widely known or understood.  If polled, how many golfers today would know what the real Alps was like at Prestwick?  Probably in the low single digit percentages and this with the internet.  Look at Mike Malone.  He used the internet and still didn't realize there's a huge mound obscuring the green.

There is not a mound between the bunker and the green. There might be some contouring visible but there was no obscurity at all.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:45:37 AM by Wayne Morrison »

T_MacWood

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2005, 09:46:32 AM »
Not only does there appear to be a mound behind the bunker, there appears to be mounding on the side as well...creating a punch bowl effect.

T_MacWood

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2005, 09:49:57 AM »
If you look at it closely you will see part of the green/front fringe and the bunker to the right is obscured by the mound....even at an altitude.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:50:18 AM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2005, 09:51:15 AM »
Wayne:

That's where I was looking at the old #10. That aerial shows the new 10th green as well obviously done and in play. I have no idea if some of the old 10th green across the road was cannibalized at that point or not. It looks like they may've stripped sod off the old 11th tee and maybe whatever was in front of the old 10th green. That's make sense---why not reuse? Sure go ahead and post whatever you have on the 10th.

I still don't know what the point is here. So what if Lesley or anyone else referred to it as along the principle of the "Alps"? What is Tom MacWood's point by bringing that up?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:55:29 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2005, 09:52:20 AM »
I mentioned that AFC said that he believe the points have been well made that question and challenge you’re A/C thesis. He did not say he made all the points and I did not say he made all the points. He apparently feels a number of people did.

TE
What are the points AFC and the others made? Point by point.

TEPaul

« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2005, 10:35:36 AM »
"TE
What are the points AFC and the others made? Point by point."

Tom:

Most all of them are right here on this thread. Why don't you just go back and read them? Many of the points I made I've been making for a good while now, and many of them are the same points others are making.

Perhaps you think if you just supply some answer to questions to and challenges of your essay that will be enough or sufficient to support your conclusion and your thesis on here about the A/C Movement's influence on GCA but I don't believe others are accepting it.

I know they aren't accepting your constant response to anyone who challenges your thesis that they just don't understand the A/C Movement. We all understand the A/C Movement and we've all read your conclusion, your thesis, that the A/C Movement was a significant enough influence on the golf architecture of the Goldan Age that that era and that evolution in golf architecture should be relabeled "Arts and Crafts Architecture". That is what many now think is a real stretch, a factually and historically unsupportable conclusion, in other words.

Try not to take it personally. When anyone puts a novel thesis out there obviously it may be questioned and challenged and that's all that's happened here. As I've said before your five part essay on the A/C Movement was really researched as to all kinds of little details about it and the lives and thoughts and philosophies of the men that were responsible for it. That part was an impressive amount of research work, basically the first four parts was very impressive about the movement itself, it's beginnings, it's leaders and their philosophies and goals.

But when it came time to connect it to golf course architecture and its evolution and the influences on it the A/C Movement just didn't connect well at all and your conclusion became unsupportable.

I'd be glad to try to explain why and how that happened in your essay on the A/C movement if you'd like but this email about six months ago from one of the better minds on the history and evolution of golf course architecture should give you some indication:

"I read his "Arts and Crafts" piece and never saw a single link established between fine arts and golf architecture. Style parallels and aesthetic similarities, sure, but any link was purely hypothetical. He's one of those "researchers" who never knows what to do with his research. In academia we'd call (i.e. "dismiss") them as "positivists," searching for independent facts of their own accord, w/o any relationship or judgment."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 10:41:19 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2005, 10:41:50 AM »
TE
I welcome any and all questions about the A&C essay and have since I wrote. I don't take it personally...I enjoy the debate.

It appears that you, AFC and others feel you have presented a very good case of exactly why my essay does not work. Could you list these points in a simple format?

TEPaul

« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2005, 10:53:30 AM »
"TE
I welcome any and all questions about the A&C essay and have since I wrote. I don't take it personally...I enjoy the debate."

Tom:

I'm glad you say you welcome any and all questions, and that you don't take it personally, and that you enjoy the debate. Obviously there're others on this website who do as well. Certainly not all on here though as some have said they feel it's over their head or just not of enough interest to them. But it is to me.

"It appears that you, AFC and others feel you have presented a very good case of exactly why my essay does not work. Could you list these points in a simple format?"

We do indeed. Sure, I'd be glad to. It'll probably be a number of paragraphs and a relatively long post, but so what, that's my style. And in fairness to you and your otherwise impressive five part essay I'm going to read it again, one more time.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 10:57:37 AM by TEPaul »

wsmorrison

« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2005, 11:05:13 AM »
I talked to our resident photographic expert.  It looks like there is a berm to the right of the green between 10 green and the raised 11 tee.  With the angle of play coming from the left, this would not have interfered with a visual of the green.  There may be a slight ridge between the bunker and Ardmore Avenue but nothing that would have obscured the green from the landing area.

T_MacWood

« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2005, 01:22:10 PM »
"Other holes present the characteristics of the famous Redan and the Alps of Prestwick. Ben Sayers, the well-known professional of North Berwick, spends a great deal of time at Merion, where is son George is engaged, and he declares that the course is thoroughly good."            ~~Hazard (Tillinghast) 2/1916

DMoriarty

« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2005, 01:29:29 PM »
Wayne,

In your latest response to be you warn me about my tone.  I'll try to work on it.  While we are on the subject, might I suggest you reconsider your tone as well?  Your posts to me have been outright rude and there is no call for it.  Surely you are capable of carrying on civilized discussion free of invective.   A few points that might help you manage to cut out some of the garbage you have been shoveling my way:
--  I am not under TomM's influence.  My take on all this is quite a bit different that his.  
--  My research is almost all my own.  For example, the reference to MacDonald and the other (Whigham) most likely came from the old magazines.  
--  I don't have a preconceived notion or conclusion about the influences on Merion, or on the AC Movements influences on gca in general.  
-- I have no unwaivering adherence to any theory and am blinded by none.  

Now I ask you, knock it off.  

You seem blinded by your unwavering adherence to the notion that the A and C movement had a broad and deep influence on everything.  You asked what would demonstrate a cause and effect.  I gave you one example.  Not the only possibility but just one since none ocurred to you.  Your typical response is to attack that one example as the only example and one you can shoot down.  Stop this nonsense.

My apologies for attacking that one example, but it was the only example you gave.  I meant to ask you to explain the type of cause and effect relationship necessary to prove an AC influence.  But your cause and effect example, if applied accross the board, would erase most of the AC Movement from the history books.  In other words, such cause and effect does not exist accross much of the AC Movement.   So I think it a bit much require it of the gca's.  

But perhaps my questions and comments were confusing or misleading.  Let me try to clarify.  What is an example of a "cause and effect" relationship present across the board in the various arts and crafts pursuits?

"Gertrude Jekyll was a AC Practioner, but when she writes of her craft she harkens back to Humphry Repton, a figure that long predates teh AC Movement.  This is what made her a AC Practioner, her rejection of the current and return to the pre-Victorian Roots of her field."

Well that is of little use in discussing golf course architecture.  Why do you extend this philosophy across the board to all artistic endeavors?
Well it gives us an example of the types of influences we might want to look for to determine whether a body of work ought to be considered part of the arts and crafts movement.  

Could it also be that the reason Flynn and others were inspired by naturalism is that courses built in that style looked better but also could be maintained better over the years, that they were more permanent in that manner?  Flynn, as one of the great early greenkeepers in America wrote of that as is inspiration rather than being swept up in an arts and crafts movement.

As I said in my last post it could well be.   But some of these same ideas (naturalism, permanence) were topics that Arts and Crafts practioners were very much concerned with.  So while Flynn's interest in these things doesnt necessarily include him in the AC Movement, it doesnt exclude him either.  At best it is ambiguous.  

I'd love to hear more of what he had to say about "permanence."  This is an idea that I've noticed comes up quite a bit with these guys (MacKenzie in particular.)  I'd be interested to know if the idea has a single origin or multiple unrelated origins.  

Was Repton a part of the Arts and Crafts movement?

Repton was not part of the AC Movement and that is precisely the point.  A large part of what defines an AC Practioner is that they rejected the contemporary approaches to their disciple and returned to the roots of their respective disciplines.  Like the AC Landscape Gardeners, at least these three golf course designers returned to the roots of the landscape school of design.

If Colt, Behr and Macdonald all cite the principles of Aand C as directly influencing their architecture and not simply some movements in landscape architecture, then why is there any debate at all?

There were not substantive, defining principles of the AC design.  Rather they all returned to the roots of their respective disciplines.  At least Colt, Behr and MacD returned to the roots of the landscape school of design, as did Jekyll and the AC Landscape Designers.   Now maybe it was a coincidence, but it surely is an avenue of study worth pursuing.

I simply am not persuaded by your argument that golf course architects are AC practitioners.

I'm not either, but for different reasons than you.  You seem to be looking for a direct attribution of certain AC design principles, and I know that those dont exist within the AC movement.  So I think it is overreaching to look for them here.

The Haverford course of the Merion Cricket Club would be considered in your mind Victorian.  The first course in Ardmore was somewhere in between geometric and natural yet it was not a quantum departure.

Did the first course at ardmore have the type of tees seen in the picture above?  How about the long cops seen in the background?  

I suppose you think there then must be a direct connection or influence on the A and C.  The alleged influence fits YOUR mindset but that does not indicate proof.

Look Wayne, just about everything you have supposed about my views and my knowledge base has been wrong so far.  How about we try to stick to what the other is saying, instead of supposing motivations and preconceptions?

I agree that it does not indicate proof.  My point is a change took place.  It seems fairly drastic to me, but you indicate that it is gradual.  I am just curious as to what precipitated that change, drastic or gradual.   I've heard your theory about Flynn's naturalism and desire for permanence and that certainly helps, but it aslo raises more questions than it answers.   What of Wilson's influence?  Why the trip overseas if they were just looking for a more permanent and natural course?  Why involve MacDonald and what was the extent of his involvement.  Where did Flynn's ideas come from.  Etc.  I look forward to having these questions and others answered in your book.  

I never said one photograph.  Read my post, I said "pictures."  In the photo you posted (likely given to you by TMac) which features are dark ages?  The tiny tee?

Now why would you include that it was given to me by TomM?   You write quite a bit about about people reacting according to preconceived notions rather than the facts.   You should heed your words.   TomM has never given me anything that he has not graciously given to all the readers of his words on this site.  

Your friend Tom MacWood and George Bahto believe there was advise offered by Macdonald and Whigham.

I've never met TomM and if I have ever communicated with off this public, I don't recall it.  I'd like to say George Bahto is a friend, but he is a busy man with many friends and admirers and likely wouldnt know me from Adam.  

I read it in Golf Illustrated or American Golfer.  Likely in the same article you are discussing.  

TEPaul

« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2005, 05:31:38 PM »
Tom MacW:

Do you have any documented proof that Crump and Hunter contacted Macdonald regarding their trips to Europe to study architecture?

Thanks

DMoriarty

« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2005, 06:42:50 PM »
Here is what MacDonald and Whigman had to say about Merion's "Redan (my bolds):"

"There are several Redans to be found nowadays
on American courses. There is a simplified Redan
at Piping Rock, a reversed Redan at Merion Cricket
Club (the green being approached from the left hand
end of the tableland)
and another reversed Redan at
Sleepy Hollow where the tee instead of being about
level with the green is much higher."

--By C. B. MACDONALD and H. J. WHIGHAM, GI&OA, July 1914.  

As for the 10th at Merion, isnt it possible that both sides are correct?  Here is Lesley's passage:

"The tenth hole has its tee far back in the woods
and its green has for background a high hill covered
with grass, and resembles the Alps hole at Prestwick;
in principle, that is a two shot hole with a cross
bunker guarding the green. A long drive and
a good second are required. The second must
carry Ardmore Avenue and a number of deep
bunkers. If the ball overruns the green it finds
lodgment up on the slope of the mountain which
is at the rear."

The punctuation is strange, but isnt he saying it resembles the Alps hole in principle?  And then doesnt he go on toexplain the resemblance-- "a two shot hole with a cross bunker guarding the green" where "if the ball overruns the green it finds lodgment up the slope of the mountain which is at the rear.   He never says it was a blind shot.  Maybe he is just referring to the position and/or character of the hazards.  

In the early literature one occassionally across a reference to the "Alpinization" of a hole.  

For example in 1913 Hazard (Tillinghast) writes of the "alpinization" of the (then) third hole at Pine Valley (my bolds):

"The third in my opinion will be
excellent. The teeing ground will be
placed on the top of the same ridge
as is located the second green. The
green can be reached by a long
straight drive which must carry the
"Alpinization" at varying distances of
from 185 to 200 yards—depending on
the accuracy from the tee.
"

Regarding the 18th at Saint Davids, he writes that the green can best be reached from "a spot which only can be reached by a long carry over a diagonal line of "Alpinization."

He also talks of "alpinization" at Aronomink:

"By the way, the Aronimink course
is coming along nicely, although in the
opinion of many the committee made
a mistake when they converted the
water hazard, in front of the Island
green, to a grass hollow. However,
the Alpinization recently constructed
is both rugged and effective,
and altogether
the course is coing along so
well that soon it will be ready to take
its place among the available courses
for championships."

There is also discussion of the Alpinization of Shawnee's 10.  But this may have rendered te green at least partly blind.  

Unfortunately I have not played these courses.  Did the "Alpinization" render all these holes blind, or is it possible that the term is being used to describe a rough diagonal carry hazard with peaks and hollows?  

Who went  by "Far and Sure" in the American Golfer?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 06:46:51 PM by DMoriarty »

DMoriarty

« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2005, 06:58:02 PM »
A diagram of the "Alps" (No. 10) at Shawnee by Hazard in 1912 . . .  The word in the diagonal carry hazard is "Alpinization."

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 06:58:53 PM by DMoriarty »

TEPaul

« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2005, 07:36:48 PM »
It's pretty clear to see there was no blind approach to the old 10th across Ardmore Ave at Merion. There was a big cross hazard in front of the green and that's probably what Lesley meant---eg you had to carry the ball over the cross hazard in front of the green. There was also a sort of U shaped enormous berm behind the old 10th.

Pine Valley's 3rd had alpinization around the right and back right of the green but it was removed pretty quickly. Tillinghast would basically be wrong about "alpinization" that had to be carried over in front of the green. He wrote that in March of 1913 and at that point the first four holes were probably in a state of what architects call "roughed in". There was probably a lot of sand mounding in front of the green for some reason that was removed when the green was complete. From the tee to the green at PVGC's #3 has always been just "rough sandy gournd". Merion's 9th had some alpinization around that green and that was also removed rather quickly and replaced by bunkering.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 07:41:56 PM by TEPaul »

SPDB

« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2005, 08:36:08 PM »
Tom/Wayne -

Where was the landing zone for the old 10th? I have no idea, but familiar w/the topography where it used to reside, it seems impossible that it was over flat ground. Isn't there a constant rise up to Ardmore Avenue?

What was the purpose of the berm behind the hole?

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Merion Sidetrack," since it seems to have left the A&C discussion behind.

DMoriarty

« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2005, 08:57:22 PM »
Maybe this thread should be renamed "Merion Sidetrack," since it seems to have left the A&C discussion behind.

This may or may not be true.   The motivations and influences for the Ardmore Avenue Merions may lead to some insight into the entire issue.  Or not.  

SPDB

« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2005, 09:19:54 PM »
DMoriarty -
I had thought MacDonald was "Far & Sure" given its the motto of Chicago Golf Club. I think Tom MacWood has said that it was Travis.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:22:15 PM by SPDB »

T_MacWood

« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2005, 09:53:32 PM »
Tom MacW:

Do you have any documented proof that Crump and Hunter contacted Macdonald regarding their trips to Europe to study architecture?

Thanks
TE
When I wrote the Crump essay I looked high and low for the information that confirmed the Macdonald-Crump connection, but I couldn't find it. I do recall reading it, but I don't know where, so at this point I'd have to say there is no Macdonald-Crump connection.

Hunter was inspired by Macdonald's example to travel abroad to study golf architecture. At the time Hunter was playing much of his golf at NGLA (he had only been playing the game for eight years) and was bitten by the architecture bug; Hunter and Macdonald were good friends. Years later Hunter urged Macdonald to write Scotland's Gift. John Strawn discovered Hunter's unpublished memoirs and has written a couple of excellent articles on the man.

What is interesting about both tours, the courses they played are almost identical (including the obscure Turnberry) and the highlight of both their trips was a game with John Ball at Hoylake--a friend of Macdonald's.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 10:09:16 PM by Tom MacWood »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2005, 09:55:14 PM »
et. al.,

In order for a hole to be classified as a "redan" doesn't the green have to fall away from you and doesn't the fronting feature of the foot pad of the green have to obscure everything behind it ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:56:02 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back