News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

Herbert Strong and Clearwater Country Club
« on: December 07, 2005, 12:40:10 PM »
I received a request for information on Herbert Strong from the marketing director at Clearwater Country Club in FL.
http://www.clearwatercountryclub.com
The following is Brent's request:

"I am in the process of trying to find any information on Herbert Bertram Strong. He did the original design of our club in the 1920's, and we are in the process of putting a history together. I would appreciate any suggestions you may provide to find out more. I have been unable to find much."

I offered up The Architects of Golf and The Golden Age of Golf Design as two resources.  Also I believe Bruce Hepner has been working with Canterbury for some time - with the super super Terry Bonar.  Also Klein, Whitten and Shackelford.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

BCrosby

Re:Herbert Strong and Clearwater Country Club
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 12:54:12 PM »
Dan Wexler might be a good source. He has researched a number of Strong courses for his books.

Ponte Vedra is a Strong course. I think it was designed at about the same time. On a rainy afternoon a couple of years ago, I asked what sort of historical materials they had on their course. Not much, it turned out. But they might be able to point your friend to other, local sources.

Bob

SPDB

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 12:56:34 PM »
I would offer up Tom MacWood.  ;D

I would also point him to the profile of Engineers. It has a quite a bit of historical material on Strong.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 12:59:55 PM by SPDB »

ChipOat

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:48:50 PM »
Ran knows quite a bit about Strong and likes his work.  Engineers (above) and Inwood are the 2 courses around NYC that I'm aware of; there might be others in Cornish/Whitten.

Tom Doak did some fine bunker work at Inwood so he can probably help and Brad Klein caddied there as a youth and might know more than others, as well.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
Thank you.
I don't know any details, I will post more if I hear.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back