News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

How far has architectural analysis come recently?
« on: November 30, 2005, 01:30:37 AM »
I have to say, we sometimes hear how the old architects and the writers in the old days discussed architecture and its philosophy in print really well and a lot (they didn't have the Internet, though, did they?).

But how far has truly in-depth golf course architectural analysis come due to outlets like this website?

I'd say a long, long way recently. Surely golf magazines aren't really doing much for in-depth and architectural analysis but if anyone at all reads all of most of the threads on the first page of this discussion group, I can see how they could help but be impressed at the thought and analysis that's going into this subject. A couple of the threads on the first page are some of the most educational I've seen and from active architects since this website began some six years ago.

I think it's impressive. Are we into a new age---a new awakening of analysis of golf course architecture? Is it going to remain small or can it really get out there this time?

Joel_Stewart

Re:How far has architectural analysis come recently?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:14:44 AM »
Tom:  Good point and I agree that this web site along with entire movement by C&C, Doak, Hanse has brought a new look to architecture as well as restorations.  

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:40:57 AM »
Tom -

I think gca analysis in the mass media (mags and TV) is at an abysmal level. Unreflective and uninformed just begin to describe it. Especially when compared with the quality of the discussions of gca in golf mags (and even by the USGA) in the 20's and 30's.

As for books, there has been something of a Golden Age for gca in hardback over the last decade. Only the late 20's was a better period.

As much as you and I appreciate the level of the talk here at GCA - and it can be remarkably good - I don't see it spilling over into  other arenas. Maybe that will change someday. I hope it does. But so far I don't see it.

Bob

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:43:44 AM by BCrosby »

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:52:36 AM »
"As much as you and I appreciate the level of the talk here at GCA - and it can be remarkably good - I don't see it spilling over into  other arenas. Maybe that will change someday. I hope it does. But so far I don't see it."

Bobzee:

It does seem hard to get a good discussion of golf course architecture spilling over into other arenas. That is certainly true of my own golf club and its members. I've spoken to a good number of them at large membership meetings and I have noticed their interest in the subject but it seems to flag after a time---most commonly assumed to be about one hour and a half.

Frankly, trying to speak to them about any subject for more than one and one half hours is very hard as at the end of that time one can noticeably see their concentration starting to die out or wander. One wonders why it's always that way?

In my opinion, there's little doubt as to what's happening. It's not necessarily the subject under discussion it's only that they want a drink. So the next time I'll know how to solve this problem. I'll just tell them the bar is now open and that they can go get a fistful of drinks and we'll reassemble in about 20 minutes, and I'm certain from there on out all of them will be totally into the subject of golf course architecture as we all whoop it up.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »
TEPaul,

Folks just don't care.  Anyone with more than 100 posts on this site is not well.

Mike
Laity
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back