News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

Can a "Good" Hole Rely on Luck?
« on: November 22, 2005, 08:42:21 AM »
I caddy for a scratch golfer here in Halifax. We generally play 'lower end' courses most of the time.

We analyze holes for the best way to play them, and sometimes - there is NO really good way. Something about the hole makes it impossible to be 'right'. It is usually to do with the green, which is so small and/or sloped that there is no really "solid" way to play it. Hit the green, it rolls off; Hit short, it comes back even further, Hit long, it goes longer - that kind of thing.

So luck really is especially important here. You have to be especially lucky for the ball to get close on the approach. But it's funny - On some of these holes, I hate it - on others, I kind of like it. I'm not sure why... I think the ones I like make better allowance for a recovery - better chipping possibilities - though still difficult.

I wonder if there are any really 'good' holes that have these types of situations - where luck is EXTREMELY important to birdie, and skill at getting up and down is DEMANDED for par...

Thoughts?

Andy Hughes

Re:Can a "Good" Hole Rely on Luck?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 08:55:55 AM »
Adam, I think holes that have knobs either in front of or actually in greens may supply the element of luck you are referring to?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Adam_F_Collins

Re:Can a "Good" Hole Rely on Luck?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:14:01 AM »
Not necessarily, Andy. I am well aware of the presence and importance of luck in golf, and such knobs serve to create interest. But those knobs can often be carried, or avoided so that the luck factor can be reduced.

I'm talking about holes where there's no real way to avoid it. The dice MUST be rolled, and you may or may not be favoured by it...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back